84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Gizler00's 85 4Runner Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 283 truck looks pretty good from the pics. Whats it have for drivetrain, driveline, axles??

Nice work on the sliders!!Cant wait to see the redletter grabber hangin off the back of the runner!!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
283 truck just has a stock toyota driveline. I found a guy selling an advanced adapters sbc-toyota bell housing that we got for it. It has a 3" suspension lift and a 3 " body lift. Has 33's right now but needs 35's to fill the wheel wells.

The sliders are coming along. I have more pictures with the supports welded in I just haven't uploaded them yet.

I think that when I'm done with the sliders I'm going to scrounge up some metal and just start the tire carrier build!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:11 AM

Well was finishing up the center supports on the sliders a&d ran out of welding gas!!!!!! Looks like a trip to get an exchange Monday.

Still need to do the knuckle rebuild. Hopefully this week if the shops not to busy.

I picked up a new muffler from a local parts store ,albrights, it's a local family owned store. They have some new mufflers that I initially thought was a flow master. Craig the owned told me that the guy who designed the inside if the flowmaster muffler has made another exact same design as the flowmaster but at half the price. Ill get a pic up soon. You really can't tell the difference. By at 40$ I couldn't pass it up.

I've always hated my exhaust from the day I routed it. I wanted to get it as far away from the truck as possible while my rear fender wells were still wide open so it sticks out of the body what seems like a foot.

Ill get some pics up hopefully over the weekend.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great work and enginuity!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:59 PM

My bro has exhaust machine at shop, bends expands all that jazz...let me know and you can have whatever you want. They sell flows as well. Sweet on the adapter for the 283. Kyles is all gm drivetrain till the driveshafts, no adapters. It suprisingly throws out some power and never breaks nothing. Ive seen him tear the hell out of it and im just cringing waiting to hear something snap but it doesent.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
My bro has exhaust machine at shop, bends expands all that jazz...let me know and you can have whatever you want. They sell flows as well. Sweet on the adapter for the 283. Kyles is all gm drivetrain till the driveshafts, no adapters. It suprisingly throws out some power and never breaks nothing. Ive seen him tear the hell out of it and im just cringing waiting to hear something snap but it doesent.
That sounds great. I really need to come check that out.

My buddies truck had a pretty built up 350 in that truck when we picked it up. Has 450+ hp. Needless to say the advanced adapter bell housing was cracked in about 5 places. (One of the reasons we got it so cheap).Just too much for the toyota drivetrain to handle. That's one of the the few reasons that we decided to put a 283 that was done up but pretty calm in it. He's goin to use it as a DD and some off road fun.

He's one of my converts. He's a hardcore chevy guy that thought the toyotas were cool but don't realize what they actually are. Now he a full toyota crack addict and has three if them. Hahahaha
Old 04-14-2013, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Gizler00
That sounds great. I really need to come check that out.

My buddies truck had a pretty built up 350 in that truck when we picked it up. Has 450+ hp. Needless to say the advanced adapter bell housing was cracked in about 5 places. (One of the reasons we got it so cheap).Just too much for the toyota drivetrain to handle. That's one of the the few reasons that we decided to put a 283 that was done up but pretty calm in it. He's goin to use it as a DD and some off road fun.

He's one of my converts. He's a hardcore chevy guy that thought the toyotas were cool but don't realize what they actually are. Now he a full toyota crack addict and has three if them. Hahahaha
Yea I went to college for gm auto, i was born an raised in a bowtie family. People and family dont know what got into me when they hear me spouting off toyota stuff and see my mini toyota junkyard.

I love high horsepower engines but theres a place for them and in a toyota 4x4 sometimes will tear them apart. I think the 283 sounds like a better route. My brother kelvinb wants to swap a 5.3 into his runner and i keep tellin him he could build his rig more intelligentlly and more of a daily driver. He wants to put hummer tires on it and a v8 and turn it basically into a trail rig. I would rather drive my rig to the destination have fun camp out pack up and drive home(getting 22mpg). Id love to have a trail rig too, but a guy can only have so many toys.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:14 AM

You find anything decent at upullit??
Old 04-14-2013, 06:28 AM

Yea I went to college for gm auto, i was born an raised in a bowtie family. People and family dont know what got into me when they hear me spouting off toyota stuff and see my mini toyota junkyard.

I love high horsepower engines but theres a place for them and in a toyota 4x4 sometimes will tear them apart. I think the 283 sounds like a better route. My brother kelvinb wants to swap a 5.3 into his runner and i keep tellin him he could build his rig more intelligentlly and more of a daily driver. He wants to put hummer tires on it and a v8 and turn it basically into a trail rig. I would rather drive my rig to the destination have fun camp out pack up and drive home(getting 22mpg). Id love to have a trail rig too, but a guy can only have so many toys.
I hear you man. I love my Chevys and fords but there's a special place in my heart for toyotas.

I would also rather drive to the trail have some fun and drive home. I don't have the funds to go totally balls deep in a trail rig, trailer, etc. ..

I'm ping to try and go as soon as the wife gets up. Was a long night for her with work.

I tried to get a hold of you on your cell. You still have the same number?
Old 04-14-2013, 07:39 AM

Yep same #, back on now
Old 04-14-2013, 08:42 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Nice runner. Keep up the good work. And yes after you submerge a Toyota people always look at you like that's never gona start again. Well I got mine started after I Hydrolocked it drove it home and started changing a ton of oil. Eventually sucked a valve and needed a new motor. But still drove it home with a sucked valve jammed piston and thrown rod. i love my bow tie but I dont think she would get me home with a launched rod.
that's being 18 and new to motors. But that's when I learned what it's like to throw a rod and then R&R a motor. Now I can't bring myself to pay someone to work on my rig cause if I can R&R a motor I can do most anything to her. Provided I have the time and a copy of the FSM oh yea a copy of the Haynes just the the pictures.
And your runner is rad
Old 04-14-2013, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
Nice runner. Keep up the good work. And yes after you submerge a Toyota people always look at you like that's never gona start again. Well I got mine started after I Hydrolocked it drove it home and started changing a ton of oil. Eventually sucked a valve and needed a new motor. But still drove it home with a sucked valve jammed piston and thrown rod. i love my bow tie but I dont think she would get me home with a launched rod.
that's being 18 and new to motors. But that's when I learned what it's like to throw a rod and then R&R a motor. Now I can't bring myself to pay someone to work on my rig cause if I can R&R a motor I can do most anything to her. Provided I have the time and a copy of the FSM oh yea a copy of the Haynes just the the pictures.
And your runner is rad
I hear you man. I did an engine swap For a guy last year on an 93 4runner that had the 3.0 It threw a rod cap, blew a hole in the side of the block and wedged itself half out of the oil pan and would still drive around and get up to speed.

Thanks, for the compliments.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:54 PM

I had 85 hatch accord that we shot nitrous down the carb and it ran like the incredible hulk for 8 seconds and threw a rod out the block. Drove it 3mi home and revved it forever knocking and still wouldnt quit. Started it back up the next day and then she finally went.Sorry to pull off the yota offramp onto a honda boys!! forgive me
Old 04-14-2013, 06:10 PM

I had 85 hatch accord that we shot nitrous down the carb and it ran like the incredible hulk for 8 seconds and threw a rod out the block. Drove it 3mi home and revved it forever knocking and still wouldnt quit. Started it back up the next day and then she finally went.Sorry to pull off the yota offramp onto a honda boys!! forgive me
Dude, I almost peed myself laughing when I read you said it ran like the incredible hulk. HAHAHAA

Chris that s*!t is hilarious. My buddy had a civic that we drained the oil out of and piled up 5 of us in it and beat it down all the dirt roads by where I grew up. We ran it till it got smashed in some rocks and wouldnt move. So.......we decided to block the throttle WIDE open and run the bastard till it died. I dont remember the exact time it took to kill itself but it was more than 10 minutes. Keep in mind this was after almost an hour of beating the snot out of it. HAHAHA.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Gizler00
Dude, I almost peed myself laughing when I read you said it ran like the incredible hulk. HAHAHAA

Chris that s*!t is hilarious. My buddy had a civic that we drained the oil out of and piled up 5 of us in it and beat it down all the dirt roads by where I grew up. We ran it till it got smashed in some rocks and wouldnt move. So.......we decided to block the throttle WIDE open and run the bastard till it died. I dont remember the exact time it took to kill itself but it was more than 10 minutes. Keep in mind this was after almost an hour of beating the snot out of it. HAHAHA.
Yea you gotta give honda props, they make some bulletproof stuff
Old 04-15-2013, 05:42 PM

Well, I finally got a new tank of welding gas today so I could continue working on the sliders. They coming together pretty good for what Im working with.

Heres a quick pic right after I got the supports welded in, and cut the ends so I can cap them.

Name:  IMG_1478_zpsc99930b9.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  33.9 KB

So now I need to figure out my support legs that weld to the frame. So I decided to get a few floor jacks and prop it up to where I think I might like it.

Name:  IMG_1479_zps17abf1a3.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  35.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1480_zpsfa27fb9c.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  36.1 KB

What do you guys think about the mounting. Straight out or tilting up at an angle? Im leaning more towards having them angle up but far enough away that they are not riding on the rocker panel.

Will post more the further along I get.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:22 PM

Angled up slightly but still have some distance from the rocker
Old 04-16-2013, 09:20 AM

Angled up slightly but still have some distance from the rocker
Thats what im thinking. I just needed to hear it from another person. Thanks chris.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:33 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Looks great so far
Old 04-16-2013, 07:55 PM

Thanks man I'm trying. I got a new exhaust setup on it today. And routed it a little different.

Quick Reply: Gizler00's 85 4Runner Build Thread