84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

'85 Yotas Yota! (Lil Red)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking '85 Yotas Yota! (Lil Red)

Well to sum it up after my computer froze when I had everything typed up and had pictures and everything :

My name is Kevin. My dad bought me an 85 4x4 Longbed when i was 15. He got it for $500 and it was in amazing shape. Besides the timing chain that wore through and a cracked block, everything was perfect.
When we first got it:
[IMG][/IMG]

So it sat for around 6 months. I didnt really care about it at first. My dad kept pressuring me into making money and fixing it up. When i got my permit for driving I finally got the motivation to want to fix it. So I worked the summer with my dad with his asphalt business. I made about $300. My dad found an 84 2wd on craigslist for $500. Everything was rust, but the motor was good. So for my 16th birthday my dad split the price for it!
Swaped the motors and it was my first time working on a car. Learned alot and hope to learn alot more!

We didnt have everything together. It was about a week before I turned 16. On my birthday my dad rolls up in my truck when i got off the bus. I have never been so stoked in my life!
Drove it the first week i had my license to school. Front right rotor was stuck so we fixed that. The fuel sender also didnt work so i didnt have a gas gauge So then we bought a used one and I put it in. When i was putting it back together, i hooked the fuel lines to the fuel filter and the tank up backwords. While at school, I came out to leave. Saw a BIG puddle of gas. Gas was spewing out of the vent. Because the charcoal canister clogged up. There went my first full tank of gas. So it was returning through the sending, and some other crazy stuff. I dont know how it ran fine for a week. I guess it is a Yota.

First "mod" I did to it was paint my wheels
Heres it in my shop:
[IMG][/IMG]
Next thing i did is i got some Autopal E-Code headlights. I drive to Yelm from Tacoma every other weekend. Theres lots of deer so I wanted to see them!
Here is the beam pattern:
[IMG][/IMG]
I was amazed at the difference. So I read up on 4crawlers upgraded headlight harness. I got real interested. I learned alot on switched ground/power/amps/and alot of other eletrical stuff.
[IMG][/IMG]
A couple of weeks ago I got some bucket seats out of a Honda EG for $20. Made them fit and they are pretty comfy and provide a ton of extra space.

To compliment the empty space between the seats, I made my own center console last week out of some plywood. Its not perfect but it works.
[IMG][/IMG]
Going to carpet or Herculine it soon. Also going to Herculine my bed soon once i get my dads shop all clean!

Here is it now. 80% of the clear coat has flaked off. So the bed is pink when it isnt buffed out. Hopefully my dad and I can paint it soon.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by '85 Yota; 02-10-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
badass. that is one hell of a first truck. Give your dad a high five, he must be a cool guy.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by VTPSD
badass. that is one hell of a first truck. Give your dad a high five, he must be a cool guy.
He is!! Hes one of those dads that can literally fix anything. Hes always wanted me to help him do things. Ive never helped him really and I regret it because i would know so much by now.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:46 PM

its not to late to learn, working in a nice shop like that can make mechanical projects really fun.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:35 PM

looks good bro
Old 02-10-2013, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice truck! welcome!
Old 02-11-2013, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Great looking truck for a first ride. A little determination will go along ways and you will be surprised at how much you can learn fast if you put your mind to it. Keep at it and you will be a pro in no time.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:21 AM

Thanks guys! Plans are to fix the charcoal canister, oil change, bedliner, and maybe paint the mirrors and tool box this week and next week.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Great work so far!

Was the headlight harness upgrade easy? I just got new Hella H4 housings (much better) and will install a GM 120A alternator soon (it's in the garage...), so I will need to upgrade the wiring.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Philbert
Great work so far!

Was the headlight harness upgrade easy? I just got new Hella H4 housings (much better) and will install a GM 120A alternator soon (it's in the garage...), so I will need to upgrade the wiring.
It was fairly easy. Once I understood how relays work and all that, it was a breeze. Just look at 4crawers diagram and copy that. And it was my first time doing eletrical work!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Where did you source the materials, esp. the plugs and relays?
Old 02-11-2013, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Philbert
Where did you source the materials, esp. the plugs and relays?
Just bought I think 15ft?(maybe more) Of 12awg wire, male and female spade connectors, butt connectors, 1 30amp 4 pin relay(already had one), and two h4 connectors from O'Reillys.
I didn't use the h4 connectors because they were only 16awg. So I just used female spades for now. I got the diode and resistor from Radio Shack. I haven't put the diode and resistor in yet so my highs stay on with my lows. That's probably the reason why one of my headlight lenses is cracked. It all cost my probably around $70 since I. Kept running out of connectors.

Last edited by '85 Yota; 02-11-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:17 PM

Didn't fix anything today. But got some new dash and climate bulbs since one of mine is burnt out. Also figured out I have two charcoal canisters.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:36 PM

Little update but changed my dash and climate control bulbs to red. Looks great! Only thing is is that i cracked the face for the climate control Also put some bald Intercr@ap 33x12.5s on to see if they fit. They fit actually just had to pound the pinchweld. But then sadly... 2 of them lost air comepletely.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:43 PM

Amazing first truck...and soooo clean!! I wish I would've never gotten ahold of spray paint...Would love mine to be built with the stock paint...seems cleaner to me. Keep up the good work man.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:01 PM

Well went muddin/wheelin for my first time. It was a blast!!! Got stuck for the first time to probably should make some diff breathers since I went through some deep water. Ill post a picture tomorrow.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:19 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
Got BUUUUURIED in some thick mud. Dug up to my frame. Didnt have any tools or straps on me but usually I do. So my friends and I had to get creative. We had to lift the front since i was high centered on my transfer case. Dragged an engine puller to lift the front while winching from behind with a handwinch and some rope we found.. My friends didnt have their trucks so thats why we were doing it this way. Bent my tin foil bumper in a ton from the chain to the engine puller. I literally took a littte tug with one hand and it came out. Time to fab up some bumpers!

Last edited by '85 Yota; 02-16-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Lol, great first truck
Old 02-16-2013, 11:02 PM

Nice!! I rarely go mudding but when I do I have a blast!!

Lil Red looks good a wee bit dirty!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:16 PM

Little update. Went to pick n pull and pulled a motor with a buddy for him. Scored a clock, heater bezel, and then got the horns off a cadillac. Got the clock in and I will put pictures up tomorrow. Also traded my rc car for a rear Smittybilt bumper in decent condition.

Quick Reply: '85 Yotas Yota! (Lil Red)