84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

85 Extra Cab Saved from Crusher

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Been busy, but wanted to show some progress. I got my lights in. Nothing major, but with the weather and everything I have been having to take care of lately, it is better then nothing.

Another thing that got alot of time from me and is a side project is my shop. My company was tearing down a building and the employees were allowed to have the materials off of it as it was getting bulldozed. I got the insulation, light, electric wire, and some wood pieces. My shop is bare bones. I am using extention cords for lights and no insultation is rough in the cold and heat.

I had enough insulation to do the south wall and could tell the difference on the heat that was coming thru.The side of the 85 sits on is insulated and I still need to cover it with plywood, but it is a start. Cleaned the shop as well. The 85 side is beautifully clean, the other side is a disaster, but will clean up quick. Had to move everything over to that side to insulate.

I tore down the motor I was going to use. Number one cylinder has a big gouge in it from an apparent broken ring. I have another short block to try so it if is a bust, I will be on the hunt for another motor. Pics didnt turn out of the cylinder but dont think boring would even fix it.

Some progress with lights and insulation.
Name:  blinker7_zps0bce06e7.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  50.0 KB

Front blinkers and insulation. Fiberglass makes me itch looking at it but looking forward to getting it put on.
Name:  blinker6_zps57cf46d7.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  85.8 KB
Old 03-16-2013, 06:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
with that insulation terry your shop shoul be a lot better temp control wise an with the wiring an lights you'll be able to use a lot less extension cords an better lighting overall! a win allround!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Free bldg. mat. is always the best bldg. mat. lol
Old 03-17-2013, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello cyberhorn..I eventually want to put up some shower wall like material so that I can wash it out when I paint. I am thinking bright white for to help with the lighting. Dont know how long it will stay white but that is the long range plan.

Hello aviator.. Free is the best kind. I did have to spend $20 on screws and still not enough, but I figure a little each week and it will get done. It does feel good to see some progress on my shop as well. Do you have a link on your tv4134 conversion? I looked under your statistics and didnt see it.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got another tranny and the one I have for the 85 I dont know if it is good so I am cleaning both of them. This is the third block I have tore down. The first one is able to be bored, but the second one is not. I am hoping this one is good. So far it looks good, but I couldnt see the damage til I got the pistons out.

Also cleaning the tranny and get the head cleaned up. This head was just in the shop and when it was put on the motor, I think the compression took it toll on the rings. Still want it clean and will double check everything. Today is the last day of the old Photobucket so I will have to figure that out as well.

Bad block #2 on the floor and block #3 on the stand. Atleast now I know the conditions of them and get two out of the shed.
Name:  block2_zps8084c17e.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  79.8 KB

Hoping to make some great progress this week but it get cold again Thursday. I am ready for spring!!!
Name:  block4_zpse2f7ea3f.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  88.6 KB
Old 03-17-2013, 10:41 AM

wind kicked up here late last night an this early AM snow on the ground! its gone now just 38 when yesterday it was 72!

old man winter is NOT wanting to move out
Old 03-17-2013, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope youve been well Terry, looks like your making some progress. Ill be getting my frontend parts in hopefully tomorrow so maybe ill be progressing myself.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello cyberhorn..I eventually want to put up some shower wall like material so that I can wash it out when I paint. I am thinking bright white for to help with the lighting. Dont know how long it will stay white but that is the long range plan.

Hello aviator.. Free is the best kind. I did have to spend $20 on screws and still not enough, but I figure a little each week and it will get done. It does feel good to see some progress on my shop as well. Do you have a link on your tv4134 conversion? I looked under your statistics and didnt see it.
Did'nt do a page on my conversion yet... tv4184 was a member here... let me search my subscriptions and I'll see if I can put up a linky to his thread for you...

Found the link!

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/r...ncluded-81870/

Last edited by aviator; 03-17-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn..This winter just refuses to move. We are to get snow tonite,grrrr. Coming Thursday we are to be in the 60s. The few days we did have that were nice I took advantage and made some serious progress on my shop. That was a great sense of accomplishment. Finally something got accomplished.

Hello kornhuskerwizard..Hope the front end parts works out for you. I have been tied up lately and am hoping to get caught up on several threads. Looking forward to seeing the progress you have made.

Hello aviator..The 3rd gens have much more better quality material then the earlier years. That is one thing I try to show in my threads on doing interior work. It can be done inexpensively and really adds to the enjoyment of owning the truck. I learned alot on my 88 Runner build as it was in bad shape and it is easily done. The seats are the most expensive part, but if you can find a nice set in the yard or elsewhere, it too can be done cheaply and look great. I think when you do get it done and knowing you did it yourself, it is a real confidence booster. When others ride in it and they cant beleive the conditon of the interior for such an older truck is nice as well. I will be looking forward to your interior swap when you get to it.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I will be tackling another project later this week when the weather warms up. A friend of mine came across this 86 Extra Cab 22r truck. I really think this truck drives and rides about as good as it did the day it was bought from the car lot. It is one sweet little truck that just needs some small work on it. I will be knocking out the dents that it does have and painting it. The frame is loaded with dirt and will need to get cleaned out and I will be doing the SR5 guage swap, setting the valves, fixing the backglass, replacing the front bumper with a new chrome bumper, and taking 3 rear bumpers and making one good one out of the three. The rear bumper on this truck is actually one hard bumper to find and is no longer available from Toyota. He wants it to be as nice as I can possibly make it and close to orginal as possible. I got to drive this little truck and it gives me the possiblities of what my 85 can be like.

86 Extra Cab
Name:  tom4_zpsad1a770e.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  78.5 KB

Rear Bumper needs work. I am hoping to have this truck done in a month.
Name:  tom3_zps5c695ee4.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  66.4 KB

Interior
Name:  tom2_zpsfc04d1e9.jpg
Size:  72.6 KB

Little brother (86) sitting nexts to big brother (85).
Name:  tom1_zps9062182e.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  70.8 KB
Old 03-24-2013, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have made some progress on the 85 as well. I have been getting other parts cleaned up. Trying to get everything together and just down to where all I need to do is the motor. Hope to start tearing down motor number three later this week. Hoping to start making some quick progress just as soon as the weather clears and warms up.
Name:  tom7_zps8dd0c77d.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  65.8 KB
Old 03-24-2013, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

When I am at the dealer and order parts and they are cheap enough, I try to get extra parts as well. If I recall right, this gasket cost $2.10. It is for a W56, and goes inbetween a tranny and tcase. Best as I can tell it will work on a G52. Even tho it looks like paper and might be tempting to use silicone, I would suggest using this gasket. When it gets soaked with oil, it has a different feel and texture to it, almost like a screen to it. I will be getting the front seal and gasket for the front of the tranny as well.
Name:  tom6_zps1e230c27.jpg
Size:  60.1 KB
Old 03-24-2013, 01:53 AM

hey terry i was on fleabay an saw a newer toyota alt looks like the ones for our older rigs even a 120amp have you done any work with the newer ones i think they were saying the alt in question was for 94 n up i wonder if it would fit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4Runner-Truck-ALTERNATOR-22RE-120-AMP-1993-1994-1995-/380444917072?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AToyota&hash=item589448bd50&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Cyberhorn The Dragon; 03-24-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:00 AM

Terry you seem to have a jump on alot of these trucks. if you ever come across a center console for floor auto I am in search!
Old 03-26-2013, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn..I started out on the 89-95 when I first got into Toyotas. I wasnt aware that the 94s had a better alternator and would do 120 amps. That is something that I will check into. The alternators that come with these trucks are on the weak side. If they are interchangeable, I would much rather do something like that then the GM alternator upgrade.

Hello gatordrag...Welcome to Yotatech and glad to see I am the first post on here on my thread. This is a great site and a lot of great people on here. I am going to the boneyard Thursday or Friday to get a dashpad from a Toyota camper and it is an automatic. If it has the console for it I will grab it for you. This yard I am going to is fairly reasonable and if it is in good condition, I will pick it up. Just cover cost and shipping. Im not familiar with the automatic consoles. This is a two wheel drive truck and the console may be different from the four wheels just due to the transfer stick. It is something I will look into and let you know. Welcome to Yotatech again.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got some good news today. Jason called and said he had a injector harness for me. We are all the time swapping parts and the wiring harness was going to be a big hold up for me. I have 2 hacked up harnesses and even with them I am still missing some connectors. I have never seen any brand of car get it wiring so hacked up as these trucks.

I got the pan off of the motor that I am hoping will work for this truck. So far everything looks good, but after the last two motors that I tore apart, I am still a little skeptical. Hope I can pull the pistons in the next couple of days as the weather is cold and snowy here, but towards the later part of this week we are supposed to be in the 60s. I am so ready for winter to get out of here. I have alot of things that I want to do and am chomping at the bit to get it done.

Now the next biggest hold up is getting some seats for it so when I do get the motor together and running. I have a single bucket seat out of a 3rd gen truck that will work temporarily if need be. The seats in the camper that I mentioned earlier, has been reupholtered and in great shape, but they have been recovered with some flower patter material. They are in excellent condition. I am debating on getting those seats and have them recovered or another option is to take some seats that are in the 86 extra cab. Those seats are supposed to have been in some kind of a Honda. Those are really comfortable as well. Really doesnt take much to make them fit. Still thinking about what to do with the seats.

This build could take a slight turn. The wifey says she would like to be more involved in it and see what she could make of it. She used to get ticked at me for some of the projects I have brought home and when I got done with them, she liked the way they turned out. I explained to her that I can visualize what I would like for it to look like and search on Yotatech or online for something similar and go from there. This is one project that in very few instances, I didnt have a specific color plan for.

If she is serious about helping me with it and puts enough effort into it, I will let her make the decisions on it. I would like to see what she can come up with and get her excited in helping me on a project. I dont think she truly understands what all is involved in doing a build but it would be nice. One of her friends built her Chevy truck from the ground up and I think that has some to do with it. I have showed her habaneros build and what all she has accomplished, so I have great hopes that she will take this serious and find a new passion as well. Atleast now I dont get the evil eye I used to get when I would bring home a pile of junk, so that is some progress.

Also she got to drive the 86 extra cab and really liked how it runs and drives. The 86 is a base model truck and it a really nice ride. I told her, that my 85 will be better then it when I get done. I am not knocking the 86, it is sweet, but I will add more to my 85 when it is completed.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

Always nice when you can share a passion with your partner...
Old 03-26-2013, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello Cyberhorn..I started out on the 89-95 when I first got into Toyotas. I wasnt aware that the 94s had a better alternator and would do 120 amps. That is something that I will check into. The alternators that come with these trucks are on the weak side. If they are interchangeable, I would much rather do something like that then the GM alternator upgrade.
Please, let me know what you find out terry i really dont mind paying 120 for a new 120 amp alt if all i need to do is get the wiring pigtail from a 94 an put in a bigger primary line if it fits the engine without bracket modifications
Old 03-27-2013, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks aviator...It is nice that she lets me do what I want and am hoping she might find something that she might like doing. Hopefully she will understand setbacks. I will explain below.grrr..it happens though.

Hello Cyberhorn..That is something I would like to know. I do know two people locally that should be able to answer that. One works at a parts store and will see if he has one on the shelf that might work. He also has 30 years experince on working on these trucks on the side. He has taught me alot.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Block number three is a bust as well. It could be bored and saved, but after all of the cost of machine work and everything else involved, I will check into buying a rebuilt motor and the cost of rebuilding this one and see which way I will come out ahead.

Looking at the motor, I had I hopes. When I pulled the pan off, I found a piece of piston ring laying in the bottom. It didnt show until I got the piston out and I could see where it scratched the walls. Not so deep that it cant be bored, but still that will add the cost of new pistons and the work involved in that. So I am going to be debating on which route to take. At least now I know the conditon of these blocks and have plenty of spare engine parts. Heck yeah, I got plenty of pistons,crankshafts,timing covers,...lol..

Number one piston. Dont know how this happens. I have never blown a motor or thrown rods or any of that stuff. Never did understand how all that happens without serious abuse.

Name:  block3_zpsde8bcad8.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  77.4 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-27-2013 at 01:30 AM.

Quick Reply: 85 Extra Cab Saved from Crusher