84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

85 4runner

Old 01-13-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok so I found the efi fuse to be blown. I replaced it and got power to pump. It pumped some fuel and and I turned it off and hooked back up lines.

Went to turn it over and fuse blows. I had the bypass wire in at this time. I took out bypass wire and put in new fuse. Nothing, no power to pump. I put bypass wire back in and turn key to on and blows fuse immediately.

What does this mean?? Is it a ground? Would imply it is cor since it only give power and trips when I have it bypassed?

I tested cor though and tested out fine. I little lost on this. Any ideas?

Im leaving for work so I wont be back for two weeks but when I get back im pull the cor from my 95 is its the same and try that one.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:52 AM

I took the cor off from my other runner and put it in. Still blew fuse only with bypass in.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:30 PM

Hey man. First off, nice ride. I just went through hell with my efi system. My fuel relay (driver's side was blown) never did keep reblowing though. If you wanna read a long post check out mine, but I'll say this. First, I know it's annoying when people say check the fuel pressure. Because without that SST it's dang near impossible. Look at what 4Crawler ended up doing.. I suggest opening the wiring loom from the plenum and check the injector grounds. Google that. It's very common to corrosion. I ended up replacing all my injector clips but I had a severely corroded wires. I know you're issue is just getting power to the system without it tripping that fuse, but I'm wondering if a faulty ground there could be messing things up. Also in the diagram there's a fusible link but I never could find that. My guess is just a ground not grounding, hence too much power running through that circuit.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:57 PM

Well shes running. I don't know how or why but shes working. Either way once she was running I didn't have spark. So I took brand new distributor cap and rotor off and put old one back on. Bam fired up.

Its kind of annoying cause I don't really know the reason for her having fuel issues.

And apparently either the new cap or rotor are messing up somehow. So I put old ones back on. I guess I shouldn't have gone cheap.

Oh well moving on to next things on my list.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:00 PM

Tmrw I am going to finish cleaning out the interior. Put seats back in, put taillights back together.

Then take her for car wash.

Ill put up a better to do list later.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:44 AM

Is there a good 22re desmog thread?? Found a bunch but there for 22r so not exactly same.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:11 AM

Well finished removing all junk in 4runner and pulling carpet.

Come spring im line the interior.

Glove box back together, seats back in. Tightened down terminals. Ran some seafoam through her. If stops snowing im change oil and filter and plugs tmrw.

Immediate list......
-put on ome greasable shackles
-put in front drive shaft, new to get a few more bolts for it
-find the lug nuts or steal some off parts runner and make sure 6 on each wheel
-install bumpstops

Im not very proficient with stick shift either so I really just need take her out and drive her. I have a feeling a lot of stalls are in my future.

Suppose to go wheeling Saturday as well so well see how she does with me trying drive a stick in the woods.

Oh and car wash is in order. She was sitting awhile before I got her and needs gunk washed off her.

Oh and I had fixed the cables in tailgate and was working but I went to put her down yesterday and didn't work. So I am going to read up on common issues.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:30 AM

I think I am going to take seats from my the 95 runner and swap them out. There a bit firmer and better condition. Seats covers eventually so don't care which ones are more attractive.

I also would like to do afm and battery swap. So I need to get some cables and wiring for afm to do that. Need to find a supra meter as well and do it same time.

Also going to order ngk wires.

Im start making a list of stuff I wanna do but I figure its best made as I drive her and learn her.

On a side note ive figured out paint scheme. bottom will be black , middle will be olive drab, top will be sand/beige color, wheels, bumpers all trim be black
Old 02-06-2014, 10:12 AM

Well in the past few days shes been running fine. Well it snowed yesterday and temps in 20s and shes not working again. Im going to assume it has something to do with cold start. So im start doing my research.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:36 PM

EGR blockoff is a pretty common 22re non-smog mod.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:07 AM

she fired up fine yesterday and it was warmer. so definitely has to do with the cold.

so I need make sure injector is clean, the cold start timer, and the coolant temp sensor and all related wires
Old 02-08-2014, 05:29 PM
FGZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know that rig, nearly drove up to ME to take a look at it to buy. Decided on grabbing something else, which I did (eventually) in Dec.

I had some hard cold starts, but it was a really obvious cold start injector issue. The connector (from the harness) was broken and not engaged very well. Fixed it temporarily with a zip tie, have a new connector on the way.

Good luck with the continued build!
Old 02-09-2014, 05:52 PM

Selling the rear bumper that i took off and the front brush guard thing if anyones interested.

Im leaving in a few days. But when im back in few weeks im going to change out plugs and wires. Do the battery and intake swap. If its fairly nice probably some painting.

And my first wheeling trip with her.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:31 PM

Ok well drove her down to gas station. Filled her up. Only time shes been filled since got her which shows how little shes been driven and ran in the 3 or 4 months ive had her.

Well in this one mile trip a few problems came to view.

She fired up which is good because she doesn't during cold so luckily its not that chilly. The battery light came on. So something is up with that.

The brake light did not come off when took parking brake off. Time to investigate.

Rolled down passenger window and did not want to go back up. So time to dig into all that junk and get them running good.

Already knew this but need to get the back window rolling down again. Sucks not being able to enter from the rear. Haha sounds bad.

Finish cleaning out interior since tools are bouncing around and they are noisy and I would like to hear the truck not crap in truck.

Also remove spare tire holder since it jiggles around as well.

The trip to gas station was short but it was dark out. I was maybe 20 feet from car in front of me and couldn't even tell my lights were on. How bad are these lights supposed to be. I realize that since the charging system may be having issues that that could be some of reason light sucks but if they are normally this crappy then that will be top of list as upgrades.

Man what a list and this isn't even fun stuff but one little thing at a time and itll get better and better.

Side note I have made the offer so just waiting on closing and ill have a house. A house with a good size two bay garage. Exciting since my motivation level is non existent when its cold and snowy out.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you were able to drive it!

Battery light- check the alternator belt for correct tension

Window- I'm assuming it's a power window? If so, I believe there are replacement motors from camrys and other cars that will work as a replacement.

Rear window- I have gone through my whole system and my issue turned out to be a non workin window regulator. All other switches worked. 4crawler has a great write up on it.

Factory lights are horrible. But you should still be able to see further than than. Maybe since your charging system is having issues, that's causing them to be dim.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:56 AM

I am sure this doesn't help.

Name:  20140309_113041.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  126.4 KB

Name:  20140309_113035.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  141.2 KB
Old 03-09-2014, 09:00 AM

The heater control overlay was all messed up so I took the one from parts runner and put it on mine. Just peels off and was gonna stick it on.

Went well till I used some pvc adhesive. I figured it would work. It wasn't really working to well so I pulled it off to try new glue and it was peeling off paint on back of over lay.

Moral of story is I would have had a good looking fix that cost me nothing but now I have a ok fix that you can still see and it looks better than it did but not great for free fix.

before...
Name:  20140309_115440.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  108.3 KB

after..... as you can see it scraped some of the labeling off better than nothing though. It is not exactly same but I put some black duct tape behind to cover the little hole it left.

Name:  20140309_123653.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  146.5 KB
Old 03-09-2014, 09:05 AM

just for giggles. this is color scheme im doing

tested on parts runner... just a rough idea

Name:  20140204_154238.jpeg
Views: 72
Size:  108.2 KB

Come a bit warmer weather or I move, whatever happens first and this shall be done.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:05 AM

for those tuned in I took off the autolite spark plug wires and took out bosch plugs and replaced with ngk plugs and ngk wires

Name:  20140401_123137.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  96.1 KB

Name:  20140401_115224.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  87.6 KB

old.....

Name:  20140401_122456.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  157.7 KB

Last edited by julsruls; 04-01-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the color scheme on the parts runner. I have always likes OD green with Black.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 85 4runner