84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1985 4wd xtra cab newbie mods and fixes

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 4wd xtra cab newbie mods and fixes

I'm a new member/sometimes lurker and have never done major auto repairs. When i was 19, i made one of the best decisions of my life; faced with the buying-a-vehicle dilemma for the first time, I decided I would stick to one make/model of vehicle for my whole life so I could temper my lack of mechanical ability with accumulated experience. In a rare piece of genius for me at that age, I chose Toyota pickups, and later I narrowed it down to 1985 4wd pickups. If wish I had extended that line of thinking to my career or women, but ya can't win 'em all, anyway, back on topic.

I bought my current truck already built about 5 years back for $2100, yes you may be jealous now but also disappointed that I didn't build it myself.

Its run well for me, more or less, taken alot of people camping and been my daily driver though I don't drive very much. I've done some minor repairs, paid for a major repair but generally neglected it.

Well, it's broken now, won't start, and I don't want to turn it over to a mechanic when I can get tools and fix it myself for less money. So I'm starting the rebuild thread. It's time for me to run through all the systems, learn more, get it purring, and share with the community. I will be posting on this thread as a build thread and I will take specific issues to the appropriate tech areas.

In the next couple posts, I'll detail the build as I got it, my repairs along the way, more pics, and how I recently broke it.

Thanks for reading and joining in, hope you enjoy it, and seriously, I'm gonna need a crap-ton of help.

Toyota trucks-BCM rifles-CZ pistols
Attached Thumbnails 1985 4wd xtra cab newbie mods and fixes-image-2807145752.png   1985 4wd xtra cab newbie mods and fixes-image-3044509833.png  
Old 08-13-2014, 05:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to YotaTech, That is a nice looking xcab, I'm definitely jealous, been wanting one for years! Look forward to seeing your rebuild and pics, there's a lot of good guys on here that are knowledgeable and willing to help, again look forward to seeing your progress!
Old 08-14-2014, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Great looking truck you have. The 84-85 doesnt get as much attention as the 86-95 does. Most everything that apply to the 86-95 will apply to yours. Getting involved in threads that are going in the direction that you are wanting to go will be the greatest source of information. You dont have to be a pro. By being involved, you will be a pro in no time. Lots of great people on here want to see your project turn out as well even as their own. That is what makes this site so great.

I have tried to post a lot of information on my 88 Runner build below on the first page and first post for the common issues that you are going to run into. rustED has done the same with tons of information. Post questions on your build thread and others will give advice there as well. There is a guy for each skill here that can get you over any hurdle. Welcome to Yotatech and looking forward to your build.

I have a truck just like yours, just not as nice. Will be glad to get mine to where yours is at.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:15 AM

Good looking truck, really digging your seats. You happen to know what kind they are?
Old 08-24-2014, 03:05 PM

Thanks Terry87 and RustED, very much appreciated. I'll need the help.

Redbayredneck, I looked all over for the brand on the seats but no luck. If you want, I'll take a bunch of pics and post them so you can at least find em. Just ask.

So, a little more back story first. I bought the truck from an out of work union welder. He had installed the interior roll cage and his friends had helped him do the build. Honestly, I think it was a good but not just right build but what do I know.

Here's a list of the build as best I can remember from what the previous owner said, theres probably more to it that I'm currently ignorant about:

-5,000 miles on the new top end at the time i got it
-stripped interior, racing seats, racing wheel, interior roll cage
-rv camshaft
-regeared, i cant remember exactly but I think the new gearing is 1.87 from 2.37?
-new header and 2.5" exhaust.
-33" tires, they were mud tires, i've since replaced with a 33" mountain tire. Both 10.5" wide.
-new driveshaft
-4" lift
-replaced timing chain and metal chain guides

I had a check-for-sale done when I bought it. Here's what it said:

171,222 miles
Has new top end
Compression check (1)170 (2)170 (3)165 (4)175
Needs clutch master cylinder
Coolant core starting to plug, side tank empty
oil is extremely black
Coolant leaking at rear output shaft seal
(I think in these next lines he's referring to oil leaks not coolant leaks)
Rear plate-back of head
Front crank seal
Pan gasket seeping
Has bosch platinum spark plugs starting to foul
Rear pinion bearing bad-noisy
Rear brakes are adjusted too tight
No left turn-left rear light
Washer inoperable

At this point, I did some regular maintenance stuff to it from the repair book like plugs, rotor, distributor cap, fluids, greasing everything, filters, etc...

And here's a list of the things I've done to it in the last 4 years as best I can remember. Some I did, some I paid for. There's probably a few things missing and it's not in chronological order:

-lots of oil changes
-some fluid fillups and changes, i mean trans fluids, steering knuckles, stuff like that.
-replaced every fitting I could find with a zirc fitting and greased it up a few times
-replaced the radiator and coolant hoses after I gently ran it into a telephone pole. Also from that crappy day, it eats my tires a bit cause the wheels are misaligned and I have to rotate tires on time or I'm screwed. If you want the story, ask.
-regularly ran seafoam in the gas, a few times in the oil and twice through the vacuum system.
-replaced the clutch master cylinder
-recently replaced the front brake pads and checked all the brakes
-fixed the rear pinion bearing problem cause it was steadily getting worse. I think it was a broken spline. I also had these guys give it a tune up.
-fixed the tail lights and turn singles about a million times.
-built a sweet custom wood lock box behind the seat
-ripped the center console out of a junkyard toyota and just wedged it in between my seats, fits perfect
-replaced the negative battery terminal and took off a couple extra unnecessary wires
-replaced the battery

I gotta go eat lunch. Next post will include all the problems that it has now, plus my current no start problems and what I've done so far to try to get it running again.

Thanks for reading, hope you're enjoying it so far. Any suggestions are welcome.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:51 AM

Finally decided it was above my skill level.

Took it to the mechanic

He said i broke the timing chain, so now im choosing between

-teardown, hope nothings extra broken, fix the old motor: $2000

-or buy another motor and get it installed: $1500 plus the price of the motor

Im leaning towards a fresh motor.

The old one has an rv camshaft. I guess ill need to upgrade the new one to get performance out of my gear ratio and tires.

Time to go read more on another toyota subject. And i was still working on understanding the electrical cause i thought that was the original problem.

Well, i wanted to know how rebuilds and engine replacements go anyways...

Old 11-06-2015, 09:06 AM
MrX

Originally Posted by Lonecoyote
Finally decided it was above my skill level.

Took it to the mechanic

He said i broke the timing chain, so now im choosing between

-teardown, hope nothings extra broken, fix the old motor: $2000

-or buy another motor and get it installed: $1500 plus the price of the motor

Im leaning towards a fresh motor.

The old one has an rv camshaft. I guess ill need to upgrade the new one to get performance out of my gear ratio and tires.

Time to go read more on another toyota subject. And i was still working on understanding the electrical cause i thought that was the original problem.

Well, i wanted to know how rebuilds and engine replacements go anyways...

Sorry I missed the symptoms... what were they?
Old 11-07-2015, 08:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to YT. Its really a great place here with lots of people who have crazy knowledge with these vehicles.

Nice truck you have there.

Sorry to hear about the engine. What were the symptoms??

Did the chain in fact break, or were the guides broken??

You could probably get away with doing the Timing it yourself. Could also do the Head gasket while you are in there. All of that will not cost 2000$$$ I built a Brand new engine for less than 2000$

PM if you have any questions on the engine.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recently helped a buddy do his 87s timing chain using only 4Crawlers How To. I don't think you can go wrong using that dudes page. Just read the instructions over and over until you really understand the process. I would suggest giving the bolts a good wd40 bath a couple times before you go breaking them loose. We rounded off a bolt and had to leave a bracket attached which made the job more difficult, but doable. If you can read, you can do it. These guys that do these write ups have done these things so many times and have made it that much easier for you. Dig in!! And good luck