Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yotantn's 1981 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks in good shape, as techno said, most of us here have put more money and time into our rigs than they would ever sell for but it's a labor of love. Doesn't look like it needs much other than that gummed up carb. Where'd all the lights go?
Old 05-16-2012, 02:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes siree..SEE HERE.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:18 AM

Well, the front ones were never replaced. In 1995, my truck was sitting in front of our house street side (cuz I had bought myself a new truck, 1994 Ford as my main ride) and my neighbor came home drunk and ran into her. So, I had the whole front cap replaced, radiator and some other stuff. The top lights? The ones in the old pic? Those were actually on a rollbar I put on the year I bought it. Actually, I moved those same lights to the top/front rim of the camper shell I put on in 87. That camper shell with those same lights from 1981, with the black wire screens, is in my barn too.
I mean, lights make the truck..right?
I still have that front windscreen and license too. The windscreen was my first anniversary present from my wife in 84. LOL.
As I was looking through old stuff for it, I also found something I'd forgotten about. I used to go to all of the truck shows in the 80's. And a lot of the guys had metal plates with their names on it, and the names of the trucks. I had this fella I know in maintenance make me a sort of magnetic plate (like we used on the hospital doors) that says 'This trucks name is Dixie and she belongs to Mark'. OMG.. how redneck. All I needed to add was my leather cigarette lighter holder that had my last name on it.

As for needing much, I dunno. I been thinking back to why I put her there in the first place. Besides running out of room with all the kids junk in my garage then..seems like there was something going on with the brakes. Hanging or something, grunting noises. Now the brake pedal is all play, not much pressure. Of course that maybe just low fluid.

Last edited by yotantn; 05-16-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 1983 Toyota truck that I purchased new and I still have all of the paperwork, documents, brochures, dealers jacket folder, key tags and even the salesman's business card. It is hard to believe my truck is 29 years old and all of the good memories that I have had with it over the years; it seems that I just bought it yesterday-time flys.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by suncomb1
I have a 1983 Toyota truck that I purchased new and I still have all of the paperwork, documents, brochures, dealers jacket folder, key tags and even the salesman's business card. It is hard to believe my truck is 29 years old and all of the good memories that I have had with it over the years; it seems that I just bought it yesterday-time flys.
Yes man it does. It's sorta been outta sight outta mind for me now for a few years because it's been in my barn.
But, as I've done more with it, getting ready to TRY to get it going again..my mind rolls back to when I got it. And even my dad signing for it, and my mom yelling at me the first time I drove home after muddin. LOL.
My wife has tried to get me to sell it for years, just because she's more frugal than myself. I couldn't bear to see it go..even if it was sitting in the barn.
Maybe different for some women than most men..we 'bond' with a vehicle maybe more easily.
I'll have to check out your pix dood. Good for you for keeping it. Your profile pic of it looks awesome.
Another packrat like me.
Thanks
Old 05-16-2012, 04:37 AM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I remember those days of high interest rates! I bought my first house in 1983 and I got a state subsidized loan for 10.42% because the going rate was close to 19%!!! Reagonomics. They were saying at the time we would never again see the 6% mortgages our parents had!

Is your other thread going to be your build thread? I'm very interested to see you fix up your old truck. I wish I'd never gotten rid of my first '88 4Runner. I flogged the dealer. I paid $12,500 for mine and had a credit union loan. It was stripped except for A/C, power steering and cassette deck. I had a payment of $180 a month but traded a low mileage Honda Accord. I only kept it for 8 years and it was still in great shape when I got a new '97 4Runner.

I have old registration for my '88 4Runner, '72 MG and '67 Mercury Cougar and I ought to Carfax them to see if they're still around. I wish I had some scanned pictures.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:49 AM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I hope you fix it up! Do you still have the white wagon wheels you had on it in that first picture? I'm kind of nostalgic for those. They really say 80's.

That pop up in the first picture is pretty neat too. It must be from the 60's.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:06 AM

great story man! i found some good humor in there to. I'm totally new to the yota world myself so wrenching is interesting none the less.. but 4 me i was a chevy guy through and through. Till at the end of a wheeling day i see a group of compacts come rolling out of the woods, and i looked over at my k5 (425/hp) sitting on the trailer w/ (again) broken front axle and decided something had change.. So v/s building a new dana 60 i sold it all off and bought into the yota world and love it! i learned the hard way,but what you spend today could save you in the long run... This thing is soo cheep to run i'm diggin the 4 banger.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:43 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I have 2 VERY EXPENSIVE teenagers still at home. This restoration will have to fit in the budget for right now.

anyways.I wanted to thank you guys for a warm welcome. I'm getting excited about this resurrection. Unlike Jesus..it's gonna take FAR more than 3 days to resurrect her.
Thanks,
Mark
I can totally relate. My girls are expensive and mess up my wrenching plans like clockwork
It will take sometime but will be well worth it..have fun
Oh and if you need interior pieces 'trekkerpaul ' a member here has a large stash
Old 05-16-2012, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
Oh and if you need interior pieces 'trekkerpaul ' a member here has a large stash
Thanks bud. I'm sure I'll need a few things. For one, i would like to replace that dash.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Nervo19

Is your other thread going to be your build thread?
Is there a proper place for a 'build thread?"
I'm very interested to see you fix up your old truck.
Thanks....Me too! LOL

I have old registration for my '88 4Runner, '72 MG and '67 Mercury Cougar and I ought to Carfax them to see if they're still around. I wish I had some scanned pictures.
That's a great idea. I may Carfax mine.
Great idea.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:26 AM

A picture history of the life of my truck

*If a moderator doesn't think this is appropriate to have on here, then feel free to either move it to a better place or remove it. It has nothing whatsoever to do with restoration or Toyota tech and I would understand.

As I've gotten into getting ready to restore my truck, or at least get it running again, I've delved back into old photo albums. I was always the one with the camera on his hip. So, I've picked out some shots that I wanted to scan and share with my FB friends and on here if you'd care to look. They won't mean anything to you, but as I've rewound and looked at them, it's plain to see how having a vehicle so long impacts lives.
This truck is simply a part of who I am.
Mark

Day of getting..at my buddy Larry's house.

Mudding the DAY AFTER getting her. This was the day my mom stood on the front porch and yelled when I pulled up.

She was great at hill climbing because she was powerful lil 4 banger but a little lower to the ground than my buddy's bigger Chevy.

Our wedding night...this was what we walked out of the church to find. My redneck buddies. That rear tire with the shaving cream? That wasn't even MINE. Some knotty throw off they had. Along with dirty baby diapers in the bed and anchovies on the manifold and the inside STUFFEd with balloons that floated out when we opened the door. And, this followed by a parade through town. LOL. I forgot bout most of that till I looked at these.

I like this one because it has my 3 favorite women then, my wife, my mama and my truck.
[IMG]https://www.yotatech.com/members/yotantn-albums-marks+81-picture24006-sharon-mom.jpg[/IMG
]

My dog Max even loved the truck. And, I'm sure, that's not my beer.

Just some mudding pix from 84 I think

And she was fun in the snow in 82.

Can't have much more fun than this...with your clothes on.

Camping in the bed camper 1988 Edgar Evins sp. Wife had made this cool pull out bed out of foam that folded up to a small stack at the head of the bed, then pulled out to a full bed at night that wrapped around the wheel wells.

One of the few shots I have of her with the tarp on. It had a big blue circle on the middle of the tarp that said 'Dixie'.

The day she got running boards, 1989.

The day the drunk neighbor came home and jacked her up with his junky white trash car as she sat on the streetside...not bothering a soul. They got mad at ME for filing a police report while he was still drunk. They wanted me to wait until he sobered up.
His insurance did pay nicely though.

After this I had to grow up and start having kids and get more reliable means of transport for a family. Like the 4D 4WD 2500 HD Diesel Silverado I have now.
But, now..those kids don't need me as much as they did. So, I guess Ima go back to working on Dixie again. Little by little. Both she and I aren't as limber as we used to be. lol
Everything in it's time.

The one I didn't put on here was of my wedding cake with a blue Toyota truck on it. hahaha..My son says that's just plain ole crazy.

Those are just a few of the important moments with my truck from 31 years I wanted to share with you fellas. I'm thinking if you're on this forum and love your truck, or ever loved a truck, you'll understand.
Mark
Old 05-17-2012, 08:33 AM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Dude that bug shield is so retro I love it!!! Very cool pics. I highly suggest when your getting her back in shape the bug shield needs to be part of it, you still have it? Anyway good times
Old 05-17-2012, 08:44 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
you still have the truck?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Discombobulated
Dude that bug shield is so retro I love it!!! Very cool pics. I highly suggest when your getting her back in shape the bug shield needs to be part of it, you still have it? Anyway good times
Dood, thanks for that reminder. I found it! Was in the barn too. Good as new. Just needs a clip. I think I can rig one up that'll work when I get to that point.

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
you still have the truck?
Yes sir!~Gonna work on getting her running again. Just gettin my ducks in a row right now.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Nervo19
I hope you fix it up! Do you still have the white wagon wheels you had on it in that first picture? I'm kind of nostalgic for those. They really say 80's.

That pop up in the first picture is pretty neat too. It must be from the 60's.
No, those white wagon wheels are long gone man. They really do say 80's don't they? I would like to find some more like those. Surely..somewhere.
And the popup? That was a rig my inlaws had. We hauled that thing all over the country.
We now have a 31 foot RV that we camp. Always been a camper.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:06 PM

That's a beautiful truck! Well taken care of, it shouldn't be too hard to restore her. I love the story of it too. Timelines are awesome.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:10 AM

Not sure if this is my build up thread or not but I guess it's cool.
Me n a buddy pulled the carb today.
Took this pic so we'd know how it went back on.
Pretty clean, eh?
I haven't done anything to that motor. I was telling him as we grunted and busted knuckles getting those 4 nuts loose, that this was the most I'd ever done to that motor. Well built.
Fuel just sorta dribbles in the carb when you try to start it, so it's just gummed up.

Other questions I have as we begin this process:
#1-The clutch...as I sat in it starting it today, it's all play. No resistance like it should. Thoughts?
#2-Carb kits: Just buy one at a local store? Or better to order one?
#2-The 'situp for 7 year closed up funk smell'. How do get rid of that? Other than the obvious of just deep cleaning and a deodorizer. Any tricks of that trade? It's not gotten wet in there. Dry as a bone. Small bugs have gotten in there. Just really really musky.

Thanks for everyone's support here.
Mark
Old 05-18-2012, 01:16 PM

Wow this truck is awesome, can't wait to see the build. The old school picks of it make me remember the pics of my dads old 79
Old 05-18-2012, 08:08 PM

-The 'situp for 7 year closed up funk smell'. How do get rid of that? Other than the obvious of just deep cleaning and a deodorizer. Any tricks of that trade? It's not gotten wet in there. Dry as a bone. Small bugs have gotten in there. Just really really musky.

Clean it real good, wipe down the seats, doors, flroors with clorox wipes....Kills te mildew.. Cut up some apples, throw them inside and shut it up fpr a few days.. The apples will absorb the musty mildew odor.

Quick Reply: yotantn's 1981 Pickup Build-Up Thread