Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 83 Build Restore

Old 09-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Terrys87 83 Build Restore

I have done 4 other Toyota trucks in the past. 3 before finding Yotatech and 1 since finding Yotatech. The first one was my 87 Flatbed that is my Avatar, the next is an 89 Standard cab, then a 91 Extended Cab and my most recent is an 88 4Runner that is not to far from being done.

I have been helping a friend with his 82 longbed and he was getting rid of it and I asked how much he would take for it. He said it was mine. About 3 years ago I actually seen this on in the middle of the road in the ditch upside down in between Christmas and New Years. Later on I was taking a backroad and seen the truck covered up.

The original truck is the yellow bed. I told my friend where it was and he ended up buying it for the drive train. The orignal owner had bought it new and lost control on the icey roads. He wanted to fix it back up, but was unable.

It looks bad and in some areas it is. I have alot of parts and am able to do body work and motor work. If you look in my album, you can see 3 trucks that I have done and my current build that I am nearly finished with. All of these trucks were in bad condition when I got them and I feel they have turned really good.

Not having the skills and funds to do all of the fabrications that others are able to do keeps me in the stock builds. Which works out great for me, not many areas to go 4 wheeling and family things keeps it to the basics.

Plans are to do a frame off restore, and am thinking I would like to paint it a Tangerine or a Metalic Green of some sort. Since none of the panels are the same color and I will be stripping it down to nothing and coming back up changing colors should be easy.

My biggest concerns are the Passenger bed side and getting some interior parts. Not having messed with carburators in years is definitely going to be stirring up the cob webs in my mind. I did not like it when Fuel Injection came into the scene back in the late 80's and finally switched over, now I just got to get a refresher course on carbs. I have seen Webbers ( I think thats the name) and it eliminated alot of Toyotas vacuum lines and is probably the way I will go.

This isnt going to be a few pics and then a dead thread. Just getting the time to work on it will be the biggest challenge. I just try to get something done a little at a time each week. When funds are tight there is always cleaning,detail or small things that need done. So this is one reason this build may jump from body to engine to interior work. But will eventually lead to this getting done.

This build will get me in to the 79-83 trucks. Done two 84-88 trucks and two 89-95, so will be looking for a change.

I dont take the best picuters but I do try.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I try to make my post as somewhat if a reference for others. Did this on my 88.

#19 Picture of Fuse Panel Cover

#27 Backglass Latch "BackseatAuto" Part Number 76689 on ebay.

#32 My Cost to Build Page.

#52 My Parts Page. Things I have found you may be intrested in.

#154 How to Restore your Fuel Tank.

# 161 Remind me what I need to do.

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-14-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

This is the way that I got it and one thing I have regretted is not having picture of what a project looked like before I got it and how it has ended up. I will start cleaning it up and getting it down to the frame.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:03 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
Subscribed. Tangerine would look great! There were lots of orange Toyotas (faded of course) back in those days.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Welcome to the world of 1st gens
Truck has a ton of potential. I wonder if the truck has some more front end damage.
A lot of trucks don't have the front track bar, I thought they were supposed to be straight..could be mistaken...
Old 09-30-2011, 02:45 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
definitely subscribed.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Nervo.. Thanks, I will be doing a stock build. I have done one other frame off and help swap a couple of frames. It makes it more personal when to me when I do the frame up.

I am really excited about this. Looking forward to doing some cutting and patching and learning something new. If I fail miserably at it, I do know where a couple of two wheel drives that are setting so maybe I can get a bed off of one of them.

Toyota had a similar color back then. They had a lot of different stripping patterns that I liked but cant see that happening. Just want to get one more oldie on the road. I will do my best to keep this interesting a to just keep getting something done weekly no matter how small it is. Steadly moving forward.

Ocdropzone.. This truck was involved in a roll over. I looked at the frame and took some quick measurements and if it is bent it is fixable. I worked in a bodyshop part time and we were able to get frames fixed that I thought were totaled.

I will get the frame checked. There is a shop that does great work and is really reasonable. This frame is solid. Just surface rust. On the trackbar you are talking about, is it the one in front of the axle? I am not sure what you are talking about. I can get some more picks up if it will help.

I appreciate you looking out for me and if you see something that is unsafe or not right please speak up. I will also make a note of it to have it checked out when I have the frame checked. Thanks again.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello 92..You posted while I was writing my last post. Thanks for subscribing. It will start out slow as I have been helping two other friends get their project wrapped up plus mine. But it I will get the project going soon.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

This is going to be one possibility, maybe a shade or two off. Gives me a goal to shoot for. I am really liking this one.
[/QUOTE]
Old 09-30-2011, 04:29 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
^^^^Oh...yes indeed.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that truck has lots of potential, need any first gen parts let me know, i jsut parted out a rolled 82. that track bar on the front axle is supposed to be straight, hope your frame aint bent
Old 10-02-2011, 09:04 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
WOW! Subscribed!!!

Originally Posted by Terrys87
This is going to be one possibility, maybe a shade or two off. Gives me a goal to shoot for. I am really liking this one.
[/quote]
Old 10-03-2011, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello 1986.. I not getting the best feeling about what I am hearing on the track bar. This truck was up on its top at one time. I will get the frame straightened if need be, and I do know where some frames are supposed to be for sale at. I sure hope it isnt a bent frame.

It will be later on towards the end of this build that I will be hitting you up for parts. It will probably be around a 6 months to a year before I start looking for interior parts. Mechanical and body parts I should be okay on. I have access to those parts. My biggest worry is interior such as dash.

Hello 86 and 92..Thanks for subscribing. I had a busy weekend , but I want to get started on it this week. My game plan on this is to start tearing it down and working on what I can. I will be pulling body parts off and getting started on body work and this winter start working on the motor. I need to get down to the frame and see what I have got going on under there.

My main focus is to get the cab,frame and drivetrain going first. The bed and interior will be last. Getting it into a rolling and driving project will be my biggest intrest. This is a big project, but the way I look at it will be one part at a time.

I had a busy weekend and as soon as I get things caught up, I plan on getting started on it this week. Sometimes it might only be an hour a day, but this is going to be my 5th Toyota that I have done.I am getting excited about this truck and am looking forward to the challenges it is going to have and know I will get it looking descent when I am done.

I dont have great fabrication skills and the funds to do extreme builds, but as long as you like stock builds, I feel I can keep this interesting and getting it to the finish line.
I will give my best shot.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:34 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Needs more cowbell!

:wabbit2:
Old 10-03-2011, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It might also be possible the bar was bent from front axle flex. I had a buddy that bought a 79 and his trac bar ripped away from the frame because of suspension flex
Old 10-05-2011, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Waskilly, How you doing? Wish I had some of your abilities.

Hello 1986.. I hope you are right about being flexed to much. I did get under there and tried to see if the frame was bent. I cant see any evidence. I did talk to a frame shop and he said anwhere between $250 to $400. Not that I like either number, but I will want it safe and dependable and since I dont have anything into it I cant fuss much.

My plan for now is to focus on getting the frame and cab stripped and cleaned up. I did start cleaning the crossmember, trans mount, and trans guard. It is 3 pieces done. Dont know how many pieces are to this truck but it is a small start and 3 less then I had yesterday to do.

Also started to take a few things loose and getting them in the shed and getting the truck bed empty. I have quite a few 86-95 parts and since much doesnt really interchange with these trucks, I will need to rearrange the shed. Got to keep the 83 seperate. I spent alot of time organizing the shed before and now get to do it again.

Crossmember,tranny mount, tranny guard. 3 parts down,??? parts to go.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im watching too.....
Old 10-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello dirtdobber, how are you doing? See you are going to SAS a 82 two wheel drive. I know where 3 different 2 wheels are setting over this way in 3 different areas. Dont know if they are for sale. One is a red 2 wheel drive that I like. It looks sharp. If you get to needing parts I could check on them. They are 1st gen trucks.

Fayetteville Ark, Craigslist has a little 82 4x4 that just needs a motor for $600, if I didnt live in town I would have it. Maybe next time.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have been working getting the cab stripped down. Got the doors, grill, seat, fenders, and hood. Just waiting on some help to lift it off of the frame. Going to start getting the cab cleaned up and have some patches to put into the floor board. Other wise it is really solid.

I have done a couple of other frame off and it is tempting to just start pulling bolts as fast as you can. Some tag and bag, and I do when I have no other choice. If I can, I put the bolts back in their orginal place. It takes a little more time, but makes things so much easier later on when putting it back together.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

While I was doing my 88 rebuild, I had the fuse panel and put a picture on the thread. For those that may not have a cover, maybe this will help. Those that didnt it have the cover seemed to appreciate it, dont know how useful this could be here for the 79-83.

Last edited by Terrys87; 10-07-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I did get it off of the frame and on the trailer. Took it to the carwash and got it cleaned up. I have some floor work that needs to be done on the front body mounts. Other then that the cab looks solid.

Now I have an excuse to get a wire feed welder. I have done it years ago, so am looking forward to this oppurtunity to relearn something new.

Dont like the idea that someone butchered the dash to get a radio in, but my other dash may be good. Will need to check and see.

These are just reference pics for me.

Last edited by Terrys87; 10-07-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Terrys87 83 Build Restore