Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Rehab of 80 Sport Truck....

Old 04-30-2014, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice score with that Mirage! Kevin. You have some awesome trucks. Especially for living in the rust belt. waiting en-patiently to hear the story on this Mirage!
Old 04-30-2014, 06:26 PM

Ha ha didn't notice your from the rust capital of the world spent some time up north around the great lakes. Are you finding these trucks up north?
Old 04-30-2014, 06:37 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by HighLux
Doesnt the Jamesdean guy make those sticker sets?
I don't think he does , but we do ..

Old 04-30-2014, 06:41 PM

any time you get a chance for free advertising you take it!! I love your products to bad I can't afford most of them
Old 04-30-2014, 07:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gillesdetrail
For me it would be the hardest decision to come in the garage having to chose which one I would drive that day! Can't wait to see pics of the mirage.
Could depend on who clocked you, and their shift. Lol

In any stock truck I think those bed bars are a bolt on mall crawler noob upgrade but since its a stock Toyota, that makes it so much cooler.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 81 Toyo
Thanks, they are a little tricky to apply and you only have one shot to get them right, the adhesive is very aggressive so repositioning them is out of the question if you do the "dry" method of installation.
You can also install using a "wet" method which allows for repositioning but sounds messy to me and I had some prior Sign experience with vinyl lettering.
I've used a blow dryer to apply decals before; it was easier than dry, and i prefer the finish more than when its wet
Old 05-01-2014, 04:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by njtrekker
Nice score with that Mirage! Kevin. You have some awesome trucks. Especially for living in the rust belt. waiting en-patiently to hear the story on this Mirage!
Trust me these are not native New England trucks.....2 are from SoCal and the Mirage came from Va. You can't beat a rust free truck to start with, sometimes you may pay a little more initially but well worth it , anybody who has fixed rust quickly finds that out the hard way.

Mirage pics coming soon just waiting for this lovely weather to cooperate......

Erick, never heard of applying vinyl with a hair dryer?, I use a heat gun to remove old vinyl. The dry method using a squeege is how I apply, just have to go easy and not rush it, any minor air bubbles disappear with some time in the sun.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:38 AM

Just sent you an email about the stripes.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
81 Toyo when my back gets better...Im coming for the Toyotas in the garage. We can do this the cash or cashiers check way...or the other way. Which will it be? I need at least 2 of your trucks. You can keep one.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:37 AM

Nice try..haha....it would have to be a REALLY big check cause I'm not interested in parting with any of them....in fact I would like to find a 79 and 82 to complete my 1st Gen Collection...I'm a sick man.....
Old 05-01-2014, 09:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
When I get over this back crap...I will most def find a super nice first gen truck as nice as I can find and buy it.
Maybe two!

Im off my motorcycle kick now...and back onto Toyotas again...lol. Momma said ok to new Harley...but I am re thinking it cause the back. Probably get a couple nice first gens for Halrey prices. Muhawhawhaw.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 83yotastockR
I love your products to bad I can't afford most of them
Where there's a will there's a way... I have way too damn much will!

Originally Posted by gillesdetrail
For me it would be the hardest decision to come in the garage having to chose which one I would drive that day!
I wish I had that problem too...
Old 05-01-2014, 04:48 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by 83yotastockR
any time you get a chance for free advertising you take it!! I love your products to bad I can't afford most of them
that's why I'm a VENDOR here

Old 05-08-2014, 09:13 AM

This gets me to thinking about my 81....Mine is a black SR5 w/ silver stripes and all of the items you mention...3 tone silver graphics, factory chrome light bar, chrome bumpers and trim, AC, PS, moonroof and the polished steel wheels. Wonder if mine is a limited edition too? I am in the process of prepping for paint mine now and was going with the original stripes but a different color. If this is a limited edition maybe I should rethink this...
Old 05-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Banned

you can tell by the vin - don't rely on the DMV info cuz PO's don't know any better
Old 05-08-2014, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Yotayum
This gets me to thinking about my 81....Mine is a black SR5 w/ silver stripes and all of the items you mention...3 tone silver graphics, factory chrome light bar, chrome bumpers and trim, AC, PS, moonroof and the polished steel wheels. Wonder if mine is a limited edition too? I am in the process of prepping for paint mine now and was going with the original stripes but a different color. If this is a limited edition maybe I should rethink this...

Got any pics?....The Mirage was only offered in 82 and 83, the Black Package option was offered every year I believe, but no special vin to confirm on any of the limited editions, the 79 limiteds did have a special numbered dash plaque.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:05 AM
Banned

heh i stand corrected. I've seen 2 of the orange limited edition ones with the plaque (79) in person
Old 05-08-2014, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Erick561
heh i stand corrected. I've seen 2 of the orange limited edition ones with the plaque (79) in person
Thats cool.......I had a chance to pick up a nice stock 79 limited in Alabama a few months back on Craig's.....I procrastinated and some lucky person beat me to it......would like to find another one someday for the "museum"....
Old 05-08-2014, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by 81 Toyo
Got any pics?....The Mirage was only offered in 82 and 83, the Black Package option was offered every year I believe, but no special vin to confirm on any of the limited editions, the 79 limiteds did have a special numbered dash plaque.

Sure, I'll see if I can find a few pics when I bought this early last summer. I have a few progress pics too and just can't decide on whether to go back to the original color, if this is indeed a limited edition I just might keep it black.

Really nice trucks you have, you should (and I'm sure you are) very proud of these. They are getting impossible to find in any decent condition. Mine had very faded paint and minor surface rust but no rust other than a small hole in the floorboard under the gas pedal (Texas truck) and a good interior. I'm sure you can't go anywhere in any of these without someone asking if it's for sale. I can't, and mines not even painted and finished properly. Mine is just not for sale, period!

Love that Mirage, great find!! Now you just need a Trekker for that collection.....
Old 05-09-2014, 06:00 AM

Thanks for the comments..Yes, they are hard to find in stock original condition but they are still out there if your patient and keep your radar up. Best places to look are out west, CA, OR, WA, ID, NV. on Craigslists. They are non existent up here in New England so they do draw the looks and comments when I take one out.

There weren't any limited editions available in 81 but sound like yours may have the Black Package Option, which if so makes it unique. If the original color was black, it has all black interior and chrome grill, chrome wheels, bumpers, and the tailgate lettering is,or was black, than it would be a Black Package example.

Name:  IMG_5736_zps5f59e1a6.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  91.3 KB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rehab of 80 Sport Truck....