Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

The Rebuild of Lucy. 1982 4X2 Standard Pickup

Old 07-13-2015, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Story of Lucy

Last edited by jasonty; 01-13-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:41 AM

On the trip home from WV.

Last edited by jasonty; 01-13-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:10 AM

Scrapping my plans for solo backpacking/camping in Pisgah National Forest this weekend, to work on Lucy.

Last edited by jasonty; 01-13-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Nice story to go along with this truck! My wife hates my truck too (mainly because I have spent so much time and money on it) and she still refuses to go for a ride in it even after I have finished up the restoration. So far she hasn't left me for a younger guy, but I think she'll stick around since I don't work on it nearly as much anymore. My oldest son (3 years old) absolutely loves it so that brings me the happiness and enthusiasm that my wife doesn't.

Look, don't let the fine details about a restoration scare you - it is much easier than most think, but not easy enough for the average Joe to handle. You don't have to have every skill set imaginable to do it (you can learn A LOT along the way), but you MUST have patience and you MUST take your time. I restored my truck 99% by myself - the ONLY things I didn't personally do was the machine work on my engine, the windshield installation and the bedliner. I've been around cars and motorcycles all my life so I've picked up bits and pieces of restoration work along the way, but I am by no means a professional. I learned most of what I needed to know by spending countless hours researching on line before I dive into the next step. I've made a lot of mistakes over the years too, but that's the best way of learning - when it involves wasting time and money you learn VERY quickly.

As for restoring these particular trucks...
-The engine is EASY to rebuild. I've built dozens of engines from big blocks down to 600CC motorcycle engines and none of them were as easy as a 22R. None of them required less specialized tools to rebuild the engine either!
-The chassis, axles and drivetrain are fair simple as well. A lot of them are still in great shape just need a quick cleaning and rebuild to bring them back to good operating condition.
-Bodywork can be tough, but is very do-able - This is where patience is a must. Learn to weld quick! Replace as much as possible with metal and use as little filler as possible. I cringe when I see people slap gobs of bondo over hug rusted holes in body panels - that stuff DOES NOT last and I wouldn't even call it a quick fix especially since the second time it needs to be fixed will be that much harder. You CANNOT cover up rust and expect it to stay away. Get rid of it properly now and you won't see it again.
-Interior pieces are very hard to find - I actually just got the final two pieces of my interior today that I have been searching for the past 6 months for. Lucky for you, your interior looks fairly complete, just needs to be cleaned up.

I'm in the same boat as you with friends not into cars and such. My Pop's has a bunch of friends that are total motorheads and build stunning cars, but not my direct group of friends. For the 2.5 years I spent working on my truck, my friends would constantly say, "when are you going to get that thing done?" "what's taking so long?" "why are you even bothering with that thing?" They didn't understand the passion that I had for the truck and that it was among my list of "dream" vehicles. They couldn't see the pleasure and satisfaction that I got out of spending time on it. Don't rush through the project to appease your friends - take your time and blow their minds when you pull up to their houses when you're "finally done." My friends were begging for a ride when I was "done" and one even wants to have it at his wedding!

You've come to the right place for help and documentation on this project. There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks on here that are very willing to help. You seem serious and passionate about what you want to do to your truck so if you need any help or advice along the way don't hesitate to ask me. I have completely documented my restoration very well if you want to read through that. I also documented my engine rebuild and created a desmog tutorial. Here are the links:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f197...ration-264229/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...azx636-261494/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...torial-264405/

Here's a little inspiration for you... I got mine "done" (they are never truly DONE) a couple months ago and these pictures were taken prior to heading off to my first car show with it:
Name:  1E51FFAC-ABEC-4766-BD88-0DB67F072C69_zpsce6fklzo.jpg
Views: 136633
Size:  2.45 MB

Name:  3774BA78-8A9B-4B89-8F1E-039AF22F991F_zpsuycaxajz.jpg
Views: 136943
Size:  3.18 MB

Name:  87D88D39-D85F-4708-BA07-F426C155F272_zpsg6k0lsvn.jpg
Views: 135466
Size:  232.0 KB

Good luck and welcome to the community!

Last edited by kawazx636; 07-20-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:09 PM

Just picked up the Engine Stand and Cherry Picker from Harbor Freight online.
Came out to $220.13 for both, with 20% coupons.

Figured I'd need them. Hopefully they are here before the weekend.
I already have grinders, DA sanders, welder (I have had a few VW Bugs, and welding and body work is a must).
Old 07-13-2015, 12:13 PM

Thanks Dave. Believe it or not, your post and build-up is what got me turned onto this forum. I read through all three of your build posts, and will do so again..and again...and again I'm sure.

I like your minimalist approach, and I like clean. Even the 80's paint job is awesome. I'll be going for this striped look:

Definitely glad you of all people responded to this, and thanks for the words of encouragement.

I've already had people telling me that its a lost cause, and to just take it to the dump.

Don't matter...I'm going to finish this truck...and take them to the dump.

Last edited by jasonty; 07-13-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:45 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
now that sounds like "true love" ...
Dave is right .. lots of knowledgeable people on here .. Search is your friend also .

looking forward to your build

Old 07-14-2015, 05:34 PM

A Video walkaround of Lucy to get an initial feel of what is needed.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:58 PM

Well, it appears my shipment of items I need to get started won't be here till Tuesday, so...looks like I'll be hitting the road for that backpacking trip with Lucy this weekend after all. One last trip before the long project begins.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by jasonty
Well, it appears my shipment of items I need to get started won't be here till Tuesday, so...looks like I'll be hitting the road for that backpacking trip with Lucy this weekend after all. One last trip before the long project begins.
Enjoy it while you still can because if you are serious about your intentions it will be a very long time before you drive her again! That's the worst part about doing projects like this - you get half way through and all you want to do is drive the damn thing! There were several times during my resto that I wanted to just slap it back together so I could drive it for a while. At those times you just need to be patient and take a really good look at that reeeeeally small light at the end of the tunnel. There are two things on my truck that I rushed and skipped over when I was building my truck and everytime I look at my truck I regret doing it. Hardly anybody will ever notice those two things, but I know and that is enough to irritate me...

By the way, I forgot to mention, when you go to break down the truck, invest in a very large box of zip lock quart size freezer bags (FREEZER BAGS, not sandwich bags - you want them to be sturdy enough to handle being tossed around and moved throughout the project). Bag and label EVERY part, nut and bolt that comes off of the truck. If you do this well you won't lose any parts and re-assembly will be a snap! Even though I replaced every piece of hardware that I could with new hardware, the only thing I lost out of the thousands of pieces that I removed was one of the plugs that go into the rockers. Pretty impressive considering that my truck and many of it's parts were scattered amongst my garage, my Pop's garage, my cousin's garage and my friend's barn! I'd even consider getting a couple of these from HF as long as you don't have people working in or poking around your work area:
http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-st...wer-94375.html
Old 07-15-2015, 06:26 AM

I'll work it out. Space is always a factor.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:41 AM

Pulled the front Ebrake cable. Need it for the trek down the mountain this weekend.

Advance Auto Parts = Wagner Cable. $33.00 5 Day Wait.
AutoZone = Brakeware Cable. $20.00 3 Day wait.
Amazon = Wagner Premium Cable. $16.00 Same day shipping to my door in 2 days for free with Prime...

And local vendors wonder why they lose business.

Oh...and I found some West Virginia Hornets that had stowed away in my engine bay. That sucked.

Last edited by jasonty; 07-15-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:59 AM

These little tabs are called "pawls" apparently, and you need to push them down and push your ebrake in all the way (don't forget to remove the ebrake switch), to make the end of the ebrake shaft stick out of the firewall and into the engine bay.

This is the end of the ebrake shaft once you have pushed it all the way in, and removed the pulley. You just pull the cable out of the slot.

Ebrake cable broke right at the shaft.

As Dave says "Bag and Tag your parts"

Last edited by jasonty; 07-15-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:11 PM

OK. Starting to order my Desmog Kit, per Dave's list.
(I'll keep updating this list)

Let's get some pricing. I'm a cheap bastard, so I'll be looking at shipping totals and everything.

Amazon Prime - Holley 12-804 Fuel Pressure Regulator - $31.35
Amazon Prime - Mr. Gasket 1563 Fuel Pressure Regulator - $27.46
Free Shipping - Total /w tax $62.78
(Summit was wanted $70.01 shipped.)

Amazon Prime - Weber 32/36 Redline Carburetor Kit /w Manual Choke - $272.02
(I'm with Dave. I don't like electronics complicating things)
Free Shipping - Total /w tax $290.38
(LCE has the same kit for $329.95 I didn't even look at shipping)

LCE Engineering
Pro Water Block Plate Kit - 20R/22R $19.95
Water Block Plate Kit(11 Bolt) - 22R(Under Intake) $39.95
EGR Block Plate Kit(Cyl. Head) - 20R/22R/RE/RET $10.95
EGR Crossover Block Plate Kit - 20R/22R/RE/RET $19.95
Air Injection Block Plate Kit - 22R/RE $14.95
EGR Block Plate Kit(Carb. Manifold Plate) - 22R $10.95
Intake Manifold Plug Kit - 20R/22R(Carbureted) $26.95
Shipping & Handling: $23.83 (My stomach hurts)
Total - $167.48

Will look for the rest of the items tonight.
Total so far /w shipping: $520.64

Last edited by jasonty; 07-16-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Before you go HAM on your credit card here are a couple things you need to know:
1 - DO NOT ORDER THAT CARB! There are genuine Weber carbs and then there are knock offs. A genuine Weber has a "W" stamped (not sticker) on the housing directly above the float. Knock offs are a major pain in the ass mainly because the throttle linkage is inferior and binds badly (I know, I was a victim of a knock off). There are a few places to get a genuine Weber carb, but I'm not familiar with all of them. All I know is that if you get it from LCE you are guaranteed to get a legit Weber.

2 - LCE has a complete desmog and block off kit - I know because I was the one that told them to do it instead of just selling individual plates. It should be on their website and should come with everything you need, but you might want to double check. Call Wes at LCE and tell him Dave (the guy that recommended that LCE should sell a complete kit) sent you over and they'll likely give you a little discount. Probably won't be much, maybe 5-10%, but it's better than nothing.

Last edited by kawazx636; 07-16-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:14 PM

Already ordered it, when I made that post, but...yeah. I saw your post, and know how to identify the fakes.
The fact that it is specifically a Redline unit makes me think it is Genuine....BUT, if it isn't, it will go right back to them, with feedback on Amazon to warn others off.

Amazon.com: Weber Redline Carburetor Kit 32/36 DGV - Manual Choke: Automotive Amazon.com: Weber Redline Carburetor Kit 32/36 DGV - Manual Choke: Automotive

That is specifically the one I bought, and if it isn't genuine, I'll let Redline know someone is using their name as well.

If it is legit, I saved myself over $50.00 which will pay something else, I'm sure to need. I'm in no rush.

Last edited by jasonty; 07-16-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lemme know how it turns out because desmogging and weber carb are items 2 and 3 on my list of things to do once I get to kansas.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:55 AM

Why would the Toyota book tell me I need a hydraulic lifter tool, on an engine with no push rods or hydraulic lifters?
Old 07-18-2015, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Here's what you do... Pick up that manual, walk across the room and drop it in a trash can. Then go and download a Factory Service Manual. I have the '83 manual, but everything is the same for the 82 except for maybe the wiring colors in the electrical diagrams.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:53 AM

Dave,

A suggestion on your desmog tutorial.

Put a link to this for all the LCE block off plates:
http://www.lcengineering.com/LCNewsl..._TECHNOTE.html

It'll save time, and a few $$.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Rebuild of Lucy. 1982 4X2 Standard Pickup