Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

New 82 with 83k in 84 pieces!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 82 with 83k in 84 pieces!

This is my first toyota pickup. I have spent hours reading the forum learning the various rides popping up on the list. I bought this 82 for 1k. Not many of them down here (south fl) and I think there is potential with some work.

I have 1500 left for parts and tires.

PO and a friend are helping to get the motor/trans bolted in and I will have it towed to my garage (basic tools).

PO was going to do a v-8 swap 12 years ago but the truck escaped this when his DD vette motor blew and donor motor went to the fix. He already had a downey adapter plate and some giant c something tranny on a toy tc in there. It has sat since.

He says his dad bought the truck in 85 with 60k miles and sat it under an oak tree mostly for 25 yrs. Interior and plastic bits are perfect.

The challenges: drivers side windshield corner is rusted through. Other than a couple small holes in the bed seams it is only suface rust. So only 1 real major surgery on the windshield.

While I have all the parts It looks like I will have less than 30% fasteners and small bits n clips. Already held-up missing TO bearing retaining clips (not to mention only 2 tranny bolts.

The bottom of the tri-y manifold and the stock exhaust are gone. There is a dual flowmaster exhaust in it. Has new (2001) procomp 3" lift, new toyota clutch and he did the head gasket and valves after mis-diagnosing a bad radiator.

I want to make this truck a highway runner for 180 mile round trips hauling loads to a satellite farm in the swamps where I will sometimes encounter flooding, muck, obstacles, etc just to get where I am going. Then I will tote fruits and trees and soil through the forest in the longbed.

I have to get it together and running first off.

I have ordered the TO bearing retaining clips... Need new brake master cyl, need master and slave for clutch and new line for the slave, new filters and fluids. I should be able to handle the metal and bodywork with my old yacht restoration co-workers.

I have a seasoned 4x4 veteran flying in from NC for 2 days to help me put this thing back together but. Hope we are not slowed too much by missing small pieces. Any tactical advice in this matter will be appreciated!

http://s843.photobucket.com/user/Bou...tml?sort=3&o=5

Hopefully the photos made it, there are more in the album. Thanks again for the help, To recap; the intention is to make this a 25mpg Highway ace 4wd with tree hauling payload ability. Possibly some detatchable aero-mods as you will see if you check out the eco-modder forums. Maybe a propane kit and I heard something about bosch fuel injection from old vw's. First I must get it running and healthy.

Please help me wisely spend 1500 dollars on it asap! Thanks!

Old 12-04-2013, 05:07 AM

Image difficulties..

http://s843.photobucket.com/user/Bou...ml?sort=3&o=10
Old 12-06-2013, 05:37 PM

Seems like pretty good shape, and with 60K (?) wow miles, and a GOOD tailgate, ...you've made a very good investment.

Take the windshield out and patch up the rim/bezel mount.

Doesn't seem very rusty at all. If true, $1000 is a steal for this this first gen babe. By the way... I like your mascot. Obviously, the mascot approves of your new driveway occupant!

You've got fun!

Last edited by 83pingpong; 12-08-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:24 PM

you should give me your bed! it would look MUCH better on MY 82.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:17 PM

Thanks! yes, there is very little rust aside from the windshield corner. It was bought by an old man in '86 with 60k miles then sat under an oak tree as the trash hauler for dump runs. It has 83k on it now! That's the story and truck I got.

I wanted to just slap some yokohamas on it and go but I promise to annihilate any rust on the truck even if the truck has to sit barefoot. Also looks like I will be learning to weld.

Not my cat but he is charming and will miss the truck for sure!

I am still collecting pieces from the previous owner. The interior is in great shape also. I may have gotten a good price but still have to find all the pieces in the PO's garage. There are basically no bolts, etc but almost all of the major pieces.

At the moment we are trying to find transmission bolts and starter motor bolts.

He is giving me a bosch alternator with internal resistor from an 81? fiat; he says this one is quality and the original is missing anyway. Suggestions?

Anything I should take off the motor before installing? Tips tricks? I will get some engine and action shots tomorrow hopefully.New 82 with 83k in 84 pieces!-photo-28-.jpg

New 82 with 83k in 84 pieces!-photo-27-.jpg

New 82 with 83k in 84 pieces!-photo-21-.jpg
Old 12-07-2013, 04:20 PM

New 82 with 83k in 84 pieces!-photo-22-.jpg

New 82 with 83k in 84 pieces!-photo-24-.jpg

New 82 with 83k in 84 pieces!-photo-26-.jpg

Anything unusual here besides the dual flowmaster exhaust?
Old 12-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Bouman
Attachment 95726

Anything unusual here besides the dual flowmaster exhaust?
Yep.... I wouldn't say that the PO was GOING to do a V8 swap, I would say that he did or at least started to based on that hacked up radiator support. Couple that up with the dual FlowMasters and lack of engine, I would venture to say that something other than a 22R was in there at some point in time. You're going to want to check to make sure the engine mounts on the frame and the tranny crossmember aren't modified. Might want to check the thirds too incase a V8 was hooked up to them and caused damage
Old 12-07-2013, 06:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Those rims are pimp. They ever go for sale. Im top dog.

Welcome to club first gen.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:06 PM

The v8 never got into it, he got as far as mounting a chevy auto trans mounted to a toyota TC with downey adaptor (for sale). He cut the supports to fit a volvo radiator and made slight addition to the crossmember that apparently will not interfere. It's been garaged for 12 years.

He also painted the engine bay chevy rust color.

The wheels are pretty awesome, I am going to read about dual t-case's and see if I should try to buy his other one.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:38 PM

motor in

made progress, motor and ignition are in and the truck it's in my driveway. Be careful hiring a flatbed on the list, I have a long and thankfully funny story not for polite company on the experience.

New 82 with 83k in 84 pieces!-implant.jpg

New 82 with 83k in 84 pieces!-motor-sling.jpg

New 82 with 83k in 84 pieces!-motor-.jpg
Old 12-09-2013, 08:53 PM

The shifter came out and went back in after some jiggling; I didn't think it was going to work out for a few minutes.

Gears look nice but the only L-50 gears I ever saw so IDK. Pretty big tank of a case for nice little gears like that.

New 82 with 83k in 84 pieces!-traans.jpg

There was some silver sludge sediment crud in the shifter cup part and a wear mark.
New 82 with 83k in 84 pieces!-shifter-sludge.jpg

the Throwout bearing retainer clips were not what I was expecting but seem to be the correct part. Can anybody confirm that these are the right ones? the pic revived my curiosity.
New 82 with 83k in 84 pieces!-clips.jpg
Old 12-09-2013, 09:22 PM

And the fiat alternator did not work, nether does the so-called "4runner radiator".

The volvo one was pretty stout but takes further mods. I want less mods.

I am running in some very high temp spots, summer rush hour in concrete city.. Has anybody got any opinion on what the best possible practical solution is? Old benz radiator? Taco? volvo? Newfangled "advance engineered" stuff?

I have to go look up Alternator stuff all over again and figure out what to do. Who has a favorite alternator with solar trickle charger and battery under bed design?

And here is a Hail Mary; full truck LED conversion? Whats up with modernizing the headlights reliably for swampable conditions?

Thanks all! Throw me a link if you think somebody else is on to something!
Old 12-10-2013, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

The clutch fork, throwout bearing and clips are all correct. I know it seems a little cheaply put together, but it works. Be sure to check the clip on the other side of the fork that holds it only to pivot ball - sometimes those can be a little worn out.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:55 AM

after seeing several of these trans' apart, im finding it very hard not to convince myself to rebuild my tranny... myself. mine's got the w56-e(i think?) in it so i doubt it's any more high-speed/low-drag than the l50.
as for the LED conversion, i've yet to have any issues with my halogens and factory lighting. but im rather fond of silicone paste absolutely gooped on everything.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:51 PM

Wrote a long-winded reply and got cutting-off. In short; I did not install a pivot retainer clip or know it existed until now.

Could I get it on through thes side maybe or rig an external brace?

No problem mon Bahamas style maybe?

Thanks guys!
Old 12-10-2013, 02:59 PM

Any reason not to put coconut oil all over my metal weak spots before, during and after grinding, drilling, cutting and sanding? I know it will get up in the action and stop the rust fast. Also nice to work with. Will it make the metal so awesome as to interfere with welding and painting?
Old 12-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Not sure what your fetish is with coconut oil, but I can tell you now that if you want to paint something, you definitely don't want any kind of oil on the surface.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:11 PM

Makes the truck smell good. And girls think it is sleek and sexy. I don't think he said anything about painting it!
Old 12-11-2013, 07:56 PM

HAHA!
Just got finished oiling some test spots. It's amazing; the rust practically jumps off and leaves strong, gleaming metal with a few (dozen) swipes of a rag.

These guys maintain their toyotas, weapons and revolt with coconuts:

I just tested some spots in the bed. The truck got rained on a few times over the ten days it was out of the PO's garage for sale. Some of the rust looked like it was acting up. Had to stop it.

I do think it would be cool to just maintain it with coco-oil and leave my weld patches gleaming or maybe riveted brass? I am looking into natural paints/ metal sealers but have access to awlgrip and yacht paints, etc. so it will probably end up shiny with low maintenance durability. And people wishing they had my truck everywhere I go.

Has anybody got anything bad to say about rebuilt aisin carbs? Is the Weber 32/36 the only way to go for performance and economy? National Carburetor sells a reconditioned Aisin for 239.00$ seems the frugal way to go.

I have to figure out how much stuff off a later tacoma will fit me so I can order parts. I may have to get some cheapskate engineering from advance auto or something to save money. If anyone has part numbers, references or suggestions for

Radiator

Brake master (maybe booster if it's a cheap upgrade)

Clutch Master, Slave and lines

Alternator

Power steering pump and accessories (did not have factory PS but came with a PS gearbox installed).

I will start making my list again, any input is Appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2013, 05:58 AM

Replace the throwout bearing while you are in there. Not expensive and could save you some trouble in the near future. I don't know about compatibility of all those parts with newer trucks. You can check part numbers on look up wizards at Rock Auto or Advance or something. Same part number, then they are compatible.

Quick Reply: New 82 with 83k in 84 pieces!