Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

JMiller's 1981 2WD Pickup

Old 07-03-2015, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

About a month ago I purchased a pit that sucks in money. That pit is a yellow(ish) 1981 2WD 22r Toyota Pickup, which is why I'm posting this thread here I guess.

Anyways it is apparently originally from CA, (I live in North Texas for about another month then I'm going up to Wichita, Kansas while my girlfriend goes to grad school there) so I'm told there isn't much other than surface rust on it. As far as I can see, that's true. It does have a few dents and dings and odd screw holes on it, the bed isn't exactly lined up, and the weather stripping is a little weathered, but for all the vehicles I've owned I wouldn't say I don't expect that and to be honest, this is the better condition than a few of them so I'm not complaining.

The interior is pretty neat if you ignore the dash pad. The seat had recently been recovered as well as the door panels. I haven't been able to find any rot in here but a bad window seal (I think) is allowing water to get into the passenger side. Driver side window is missing one of the support arms so it falls forward if you don't support it rolling up or down. Overall, except for the hot air being always on (something about the controls being non-existent) I'm pleased with it.

As far as the engine bay is concerned, what with all the smog equipment it is a little cluttered for my taste. All that might go, eventually if I can get my hands on a set of those neat metal blockers for all the vacuum hoses. And actually, I'm wanting to get a new (read: Rebuilt) 22r with a weber put in here within the next couple of years as my bank account permits. That's all dreams right now though. Some might say it isn't worth it but I plan on keeping this thing around for a while so I don't think it'd be a waste to give myself something nice to pour gas into. Speaking of, has anyone ever run methanol (wood alcohol) in these? I'm planning (way down the line) to run that myself and I'd like an idea of the tuning that would require. Anyways, pretty sure it has a front main crank seal leak (or however you wanna label it) based on what I've read here and what I'm seeing under there. I need to figure out if the rear main seal is out too but I'm having more trouble finding the replacement for that, but I think this
 http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Products-Engine-Crankshaft-RM900/dp/B000CKE5CC http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Products-Engine-Crankshaft-RM900/dp/B000CKE5CC
is what I need (?) based on the manual and a google search. We'll see though. I've already ordered the 95 (I think that's what y'all are calling it) front main seal. That needs to go in before I move so I've gotta shoehorn that into my schedule. It's been leaking a lot, and I've got oil pretty much all the way back to the driveshaft, don't know if that's from it blowing all the way back from the front while driving or from the rear so I gotta clean everything up before I'm sure.

I've already fixed (HA, right) a high idle issue. Thought it was the auto choke being broken (the element actually was) but replacing that with a manual choke didn't fix the idle at all. Turns out the idle adjustment screw was just turned up, so I turned it down and voila, the correct idle was found. However, shortly after that I found out why the idle was set so high. The engine will bog down because either the fuel filter is clogged or the fuel pump is hiccuping. Figures, so I need to find the filter first and see if that's the issue, and if not I'll go for the pump, and if that isn't it I suppose it'll be time for some new fuel lines.

I've got plans for this thing, but this thread definitely won't be as exciting as Slacker's or someone else that is as talented as that guy. You won't find anyone better at ass-kissing though. If there is one thing the military taught me it's how to cover my own ass and how to kiss ass. That may be why I've been able to trick my girlfriend into sticking around. Anyhow, I'd like to do a Trekker conversion, which is kind of conflicting because the bed and cab are so nice. I'll definitely be ordering parts from toyotafiberglass.com when I get there (and maybe sooner for that top because I need one). Also looking to get a little baby lift going, nothing major just a small one to get it to a height that I won't decapitate myself if I end up rear ending another truck. Aaaaand I'm going to get rid of these jeep wheels that are on here. My dad has offered me some steelies that have been sitting in his barn so I think I'll take him up on that.

Thanks, and good to be here,
-Justin.

PS one more thing, when I first bought it my shifter was super loose. I pulled it up (I did it in the correct way, I just don't feel like typing out how when most of you already know) inspected everything and it looked fine so I put it back and for some unknown magical reason that fixed it. What gives? I'm not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth but I never thought there would be an equivalent to the "turn it off and on again" on this truck haha.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:31 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
welcome to yotatech !! .. I was just reading threw your post , noticing it was a 2WD . I'm trying to build one myself , just never seem to find any time . so I continued reading .
I seriously don't think you would have any problems selling a nice bed like that , and get premium money for it !

Thanks for the props as well .. you kind of floored me when I read the last part .. I'm honored you think this of me .. but really , I'm just a regular guy with a passion for Toyota trucks . I'm lucky to do what I love , for a living .

looking forward to your build

Old 07-04-2015, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by slacker
I seriously don't think you would have any problems selling a nice bed like that , and get premium money for it !

You know I was thinking about doing that and maybe getting one in worse shape to cut up for the project (so I wouldn't feel bad about it) or save up for one of your beds. You don't make the trekker tubs, though, do you?
Old 07-05-2015, 04:55 PM

I have one sitting in the " yard " , I make the topper already .. and I'm going to do the tub and sides soon .. just I'm soooooo busy , I just cant say when ..
right now , at this moment , I am BOOKED for 1 year .. but if I had a commitment .. I would put it on the "front burner"

Old 07-05-2015, 05:08 PM

Well I'm in no hurry on that front so no worries. Gonna get the part that makes it go up to par first.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Looks like a good truck to start with - much better than what I started with! The truth will lie in the cab floors. Go ahead and pull back some of that vinyl flooring and see what is under there - particularly in the front corners around the body mounts. If you don't have rust there and there is no rust in the seems of the bed then I would say you have a considerably "rust free" truck! You could also get some damn good money for that bed too - rust free short boxes are pretty impossible to come by these days. I got mine from Corey (Slacker), but I was willing to pay an obscene premium for a good original up until I bought my fiberglass bed.

As far as your oil leak issues go, get GOOD SEALS. Don't waste your money on cheap seals and gaskets or you will be regretting it the second time your replace them. I only buy engine seals from Toyota or Engnbldr and I use Marlin Crawler EcoSeals for my axles and t-case output shaft seals.

I also have a desmog tutorial and engine rebuild thread (see links below in my signature) if you need guidance on those topics. The best thing you can do right now is download a Factory Service Manual (FSM) - there is a download thread somewhere on here for the '83 FSM which will work for most of your truck (Electrical will be the major difference).

Good luck with your truck and bank account - remember ambitions are expensive headaches, but damn they are mighty fun!!
Old 07-06-2015, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the advice! I've already ordered the front seal and I can't remember the brand but if it isn't one of those when it gets here I'll just order another. Haven't ordered the rear seal yet so I'll definitely get one from those guys.

I'm 99 percent positive there isn't rust where you mentioned but now that you mentioned it and I'm thinking of it I'm kind of doubting my memory haha.

I've been through your threads a couple times and that's what convinced me I needed to rebuild haha.

Uncle Sam is basically paying for this truck as long as I'm taking classes so it doesn't hurt too bad. Money's there to spend, right?
Old 07-06-2015, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Just to clarify, Engbldr is not a brand - he just sells good quality parts and would never sell you junk. I also trust LCE when it comes to anything Toyota related.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:49 PM

So I looked around and I think I may get an engine rebuild kit from LCE and a few goodies from ENGBLDR once I get to kansas and get my garage set up with an engine mount and hoist.

In the meantime I thought I'd take a picture of the body mounts where you said to look for rust just to make you a little jealous.

So aside from some dents on the roof, I guess I have a pretty clean cab.

Of course, I'm going to get a new set of bolts for these mounts haha.
Attached Thumbnails JMiller's 1981 2WD Pickup-photo274.jpg  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:27 AM

Plasti-dipped the front grill and headlight doors so they're at least one consistent color instead of undulating tones of grey. Also put in a new horn since go figure the 34 year old horn didn't work anymore. It's kind of too bright out to see it but I think it looks nice. I had wired up a second one (I got a set for free from a friend) but with it wired up neither horn would work so I figure there isn't enough juice for that or something. I don't know, I'm no wizard when it comes to electrical. Which sucks because I kind of want to go through the harness and clean house/replace old wires so that my electrical system lasts at least another 34 years.

Name:  photo%205.jpg
Views: 14904
Size:  200.0 KB

Last edited by Jmiller1023; 07-09-2015 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Added a picture
Old 07-10-2015, 06:41 AM

So I've run into a problem the last couple of times I've driven the truck (most recently this morning). There is what I can only describe as a hiccup when I'm pressing the accelerator in any gear. I've got a stock carb and the PO had removed some of the smog equipment. The kicker is that it didn't start doing this until I got a little low on oil last week (I should have been checking it every time I drove it, had only been checking it every few days). I didn't run it dry but it definitely started around then. That day it was hiccuping real bad. Now it sort of like I'm just suddenly letting off the throttle then pressing on it immediately. If it weren't for the oil situation I would think the fuel pump or the fuel lines have issues, but now I'm not so sure. I'm going to check to make sure my throttle linkage and cable isn't getting caught or stuck or any of that business because it won't do it just idling in the driveway. At least not yet haha.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:00 PM

sounds like a coincidence .. I would go with your first assumption .. fuel issue , maybe even a vacuum leak

Old 07-10-2015, 11:02 PM

Alright I'll start with troubleshooting the fuel pump then.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:14 AM

Scratch that, I'm going to troubleshoot in the order that the manual has things listed. Which basically says to check the spark plugs and ignition, then vacuum hoses, then carb. Really hoping I can fix it before I reach the vacuum portion because the vacuum hoses on my engine are a nest of hatred.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty sure I saw Dave rubbing peanut butter on his plastics to get them to shine. Cab probably smells delicious.

Good luck on your rebuild. I'm about to start my 2wd as well.

I'll follow your thread.

Oh, and you should be able to spray some starter fluid around the hoses on your engine. If the RPMs increase, you have a vacuum leak.

Last edited by jasonty; 07-14-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by jasonty
Pretty sure I saw Dave rubbing peanut butter on his plastics to get them to shine. Cab probably smells delicious.
Yep! Peanut butter works wonders on oxidized plastics! So far my cab doesn't smell like a kindergarten lunch room, but then again I haven't had the heat on yet...
Old 07-14-2015, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by jasonty

Good luck on your rebuild. I'm about to start my 2wd as well.

I'll follow your thread.

Oh, and you should be able to spray some starter fluid around the hoses on your engine. If the RPMs increase, you have a vacuum leak.
Thanks for the tip!

If everything ended up smelling like peanut butter I'd probably hate myself. Haha
Old 07-14-2015, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by kawazx636
Yep! Peanut butter works wonders on oxidized plastics! So far my cab doesn't smell like a kindergarten lunch room, but then again I haven't had the heat on yet...
I used to spray pledge on the window panels of my jeep, and boat. It cleans them spotless. Takes off old water spots on marine glass too that normal glass cleaners can't do.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:13 PM

So the big move is tomorrow and my rear main seal hasn't come in yet. Im gonna have to drive the five hours and top off oil as I go I suppose. Sketchy. I put an aftermarket tach on just so I could keep an eye on things (mounted kind of in a dumb spot for now) while I'm going. Got my plugs and wires but it's running well right now and I don't wanna screw it up right before we leave so I'm on the fence about replacing them. I don't know. I hate moving to different states.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:19 AM

I know the feeling. I picked my truck up from West Virginia and had to drive it to North Carolina. I *did* change the front seal before leaving, because it was a < 1 hour job (with myself and my buddy working on it), and gave me a little more insurance. I made sure all the fluids were topped off (filled the coolant overflow, and went a smidge over on the oil). (Just use 20W 50 or something to keep it from flowing past your seals too fast), and keep 5 QTs in the truck with you, as well as coolant. Don't forget to pack a basic toolkit.

I agree that you shouldn't change anything else if it is running well right now. Bring the plugs just in case. Make frequent stops (every 2 or so hours) and check fluids (obviously not the radiator coolant level unless you want to burn your face off.).

Me personally, I like the adventure of not knowing if you'll need to perform roadside surgery.

Good luck on your move.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JMiller's 1981 2WD Pickup