Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

dirtdobberoffroad's 1982 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 05:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
here we go

this is my home made heater core

fixing the stuck key set....pulled out a bent pin now it works great.

the tan parts I picked up from terry match really good

Last edited by dirtdobberoffroad; 01-14-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You are making great progress. Truck is looking better. In Cassville, not to far from Springfield they just got it in a 1st gen SR5. The only thing missing from it is the right door and fender. It has one chrome vent on the cab which is now hidden in the yard. It was missing the other. They were driving it in the yard til they started selling parts off it.

Of course this week I am on a tight budget,so am hoping it doesnt get stripped fast, but how often do you find one of these in a yard? If you ever get out this way again and want to know about it just give me a holler. If there is anything in particular that could be hidden and you need let me know.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:16 AM

the only thing that I might possibly need would be if it had the thermostat housing that points toward the battery ...
Old 01-16-2012, 06:48 AM

I think I am gonna send this into 4wd toyota owner magazine....LOL....

she loves trucks....
Old 01-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thats a great pic. That housing was the standard directon at the bone yard. Not sure where to find the housing you are looking for.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:10 AM

Thanks Terry I went JY looking this weekend to and found nothing.....I did find a place to get some chevy 1/2 tons for the rear I also found my IFS stering box and I think I found my buddy a IFS lift for his 86...the guy was resonable on the springs 35 a pc but the IFS steering box he wanted 100 I thought that was a little steep.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I think that is a little high myself. Maybe you can check another yard and see how it is. I am hoping to go to the yards in the next few weeks and see how much they charge. Trying to get my 86 going and shop at the same time, has gotten my truck on hold. Waiting for it to warm up so as I can start bodywork onit.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:58 AM

the other jy I stopped at wanted 150 for a pair of leaf springs....and did not have any toyota's in there words "we dont have any of that S**T" so I thought 70 for a pair was good.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I stopped at a junkyard in Neoso and he made it clear that he didnt have an foreigns. I made it clear I had enough of domestics and my repair bills have really gone down. Other then the projects I tie into.

I like projects but sure dont care for having to do repairs on a daily driver, buying a project I expect to be repairing. That mentality of foreign trucks still exist in this part of the country.

Funny thing, most of your domestic cars are more American made then some of the big 3.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87

Funny thing, most of your domestic cars are more American made then some of the big 3.

I think you wanted to say non domestic...LOL
Old 01-30-2012, 03:29 PM

Well I pulled the buckets back out and put in the tan bench I picked up from Terrys87 and it goes pretty good. I also got the tan seat belts put in. but thats it for now.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:18 PM

Well no updates unless you call scouring Junk yards progress... still looking for a 20r thermostat housing that came on an engine with a mechanical fuel pump some one help that is what is gonna keep me from getting this thing running.

I thought about having a machine shop mill me a 1/2 thick pc of aluminum to turn the housing 22-30* from what it is now that way I can always put a 22r housing on it if the one I have cracks .......
I did get my carb adapter ordered tho....
Old 02-13-2012, 05:14 AM

I got all the stuff to put my engine in I just need to pick the flywheel up at the machine shop. I have to carve on the intake to make it match the adapter I got from LCE it matches the carb perfect but its about 1/16" off on the intake.

I NEED HELP! with the vacuum lines I am going to ignore all the emmisions crap ( the EPA) I have no EGR or the things that come out of the exhaust manifold, I am assuming all I need is the vac. advance for the distributer but I have no idea where to hook them up. also if you know of any thing else that has to be hooked up I need to know..

1982 22R Carb
? 20R intake
1979 20R head
1982 22R Block

I did order two thermostat housing from yotajims in Denver.(?) cheap enough. 40 bucks for both shipped. I also have a guy turning me some new shift knobs out of walnut......Im getting enough for my dual case set up when I finally make it 4x4...

Last edited by dirtdobberoffroad; 02-13-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:51 AM

I got the intake port matched to the adapter yesterday, I picked up a great little kit for my drimel it had some grinding wheels, sanding wheels and this nice little wheel that looked like a sea sponge only a little more abrasive it worked awsome to clean up where the sanding wheels left sanding marks. now I just have to grind down my egr block off to fit behind the adapter.

I picked up my fly wheel the only had to take about .005" off it so I just got a clean up really.

Made some extension tubes for the Heater core I cut my originals up to make my jerry rigged heater core so I had to make some more.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:27 PM

My wife called today and said my thermostat housing came in so I hope it is the right one.....:w rench::wre nch:: wrench: wrenching time.....
Old 02-15-2012, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice work! I'll be interested to see some pics as to what you end up doing with your carb vacuum lines since I will be tackling the same setup soon(22r carb on 20r intake). Are you running the stock air cleaner on the carb? I just rebuilt a stock 22r carb for my truck but haven't found an air cleaner assembly yet and was thinking of fabbing something custom...

Also, if your used thermostat housing doesn't work you can get a new one from NAPA for cheap that will work with the mechanical fuel pump, I think I just asked for an 82 thermostat housing when I went through the same thing with mine.

Last edited by scheefdog; 02-15-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:42 AM

@ sheefdog I will be running the factory air cleaner

I found the diagram I need I think it is a Canadian version...It has very few lines and no emmisions all together I think I should have only three lines on my 22r carb....I plan to get rid of the thermo valve and the HAI on the air cleaner, the choke breaker ( I see no need for it and I think mine is bad any way), and the Charcoal can. All the lines I have should be two from the carb to the distributer and one from the intake to the BVSV which inturn goes to the Choke opener and the Aux accelerater pump....

The parts I ordered from yoda jims came in and they where wrong I kinda thought they would be....I am gonna try and return them I hope they will refund me..

I think this is right

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...rsionfor83.jpg

Last edited by dirtdobberoffroad; 02-16-2012 at 04:48 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:35 AM

The engine is ready to drop in I just need some help to do it... I dont have a cherry picker and no way to go get one...I need a couple of strong backs ....any one .....Man I wish I had people that lives closer to me.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:26 AM

I hooked a battery up last night and belive it or not the only thing that did not work was the front marker lights....I even washed my windshield off with 2 year old washer fluid..... and the wipers didnt even smear...

I rigged up a way to lower the engine in I strapped a 4x4 to my carport rafters me and my wife hung off of it I go 250 I dont think the 22r is much more than that, maybe 40 lbs or so more
Old 02-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have used a good strong tree branch before. I have one in the back yard. Its to bad we live so far apart. There have been times when an extra hand would be sooo nice.

Quick Reply: dirtdobberoffroad's 1982 Pickup Build-Up Thread