Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

dirtdobberoffroad's 1982 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 11:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well it been a long time sense I've been on here!!! I hate to inform you all that I had to sell the truck about a year ago to pay bills....I've bought a house, had another baby and things got too tight to build the truck or even keep it..bummer!

I just bought a 86 pickup that I rebuilt the top end for a friend and then after that the bottom end started knocking and it just sat in my yard. waiting on him to figure out what he was going to do with it. I offered him 300 and now its mine. I will start a build thread on it!
Old 07-15-2016, 08:12 AM

up date on this truck my brother in law bought it from me and has put 80,000 hard miles on it, he is the type that does minimal maintenance, he said it has developed a knock and has started using 4 quarts of oil in a month. I hate that my engine rebuild has only lasted 80K but I will never know what happened he is not the type to check any thing out, he will drive it until it locks up and trash it. So after this info I'm thinking I will not build the engine for my new project I will buy a already built engine.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:28 PM

this build is back on I bought it back by happens chance and this will continue.........And most of all I get to tear the engine apart and figure out what went wrong!
Old 03-07-2017, 07:30 PM

So now I have 86 extra cab auto, 85 4runner, 82 pickup, I think Im starting to fit in with Terry.......LOL
Old 03-12-2017, 11:21 AM

Old 03-12-2017, 11:26 AM

So I got my truck back its a little worse for wear. Glad to have it back. its got a bottom end knock now, it also has some blow by its been blowing oil out the filter on the valve cover, appears to have leaked a lot of oil out of the valve cover gasket that he never tried to stop. It has jeep seats in it, the dash is all tore apart, a little more body damage and rust that was not there before, its like Im starting on a new project instead of continuing on with this one.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like it. Especially those mirrors. Those are hard to find
Old 03-12-2017, 07:51 PM

Flg8 those are ford ranger mirrors I put on it when I had it 15 bucks each at the parts store. I would like to put factory Toyota mirrors back on it when I get the body work done on it.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:08 AM

Thanks for the tip. I may go that route. I have three of the Toyota mirrors but the rust got to the attaching point. I'm with you on your signature as well
Old 03-15-2017, 07:26 PM

well I tore into it enough to see that he has not adjusted the rocker arms on the cam and the lash is way out of whack..... I got the oil pan off and all 4 rod bearing have slack in them, and I also hear a lot of blow by when I rotate the engine by hand. I hope non of the bearings spun and that the cylinder walls are not tore so can tear down and put back together with out having to send it to the machine shop. I will need to study on how to clean the engine of all the metal flakes in the oil passages....the oil I drained out looked very glittery. needless to say I'm a little bummed. I rebuilt it with engine builder kit last time but I think this time Im going to try and find some one that sells parts that meet those of Toyota or sells Toyota parts for the bearings and rings. I had the engine bored to 0.030 last time and had a hard time getting pistons and rings for that bore.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:12 AM

I found a 3rz this weekend. I'm thinking about it but its a high mileage engine. 220,xxx full harness, computer, w59 transmission to swap the bell housing to my w56, no ac. for $400, the only thing that bothers me is the mileage. it has set outside in the Ozarks so I'm kind of scared the squirrels have gotten to the wires. Another option is to just rebuild the 20/22r that in it and bolt it to the w56, or I could rebuild the 22re that's in the 4runner, rebuilding the 20/22r and the 22re is going to be the same price giver or take a buck or two. If the 3rz is in good shape that will be the best bet and far cheaper than rebuilding any of the other two.

Would you be scared of a 3rz with 220 on the clock?
Old 03-21-2017, 10:17 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
It sounds like its at least worth a look, you'll already have the motor out so doing the routine maintenance would be so much easier. But if you get there and its garbage you can always walk away.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:16 AM

Jakey looked at it yesterday. it has an auto trans behind it not the 5 speed so the ECU would need to be changed and I would have to find a w59 bell housing, I told the guy I would pass on it.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:27 PM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Old 06-22-2017, 01:47 PM

update on thread Ive been working on it a little bit nothing big, I have been taking apart the 85 4runner to get to the dash mounts and parts needed to do the dash swap, I also got a cheap HF, flux core welder for fathers day and built a couple of wheel tubs for the bed but got some back lash on another forum because they look like drag car tubs and was told I did not need to build them as big as I did but I need them large to pull the bed sides back in after they have been bowed out after running the bed without wheel wells for the past year or so, but that is about it.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:59 PM

bed I'm working with.
rust I'm most afraid of.
parts truck 85 4runner that will have the 82 body stuck on it.
interior from the 86 extra cab that I will try to install in the 82
Old 06-23-2017, 07:36 PM

Ok so I got one of the wheel tubs mostly finished. That said, split a couple of trailer fenders and added a back
rounded edge will go to the inside of the bed.
bang bang buzz buzz bang bang.
flux core welder didn't do to bad on these welds.
wish I would have had these nifty little do-hickies when I did the bed bob!
tub'd out for the dirt slicks!
told you they are huge but Im thinking 35's and little to no lift!
don't flame me for the drag car tubs! the reason for the huge tubs is really to draw the bed sides back together the truck has been ran for a few years with out wheel wells and the bed side was cut away from the bed floor at some time. For what reason I have no idea. So the bed sides are bowed out a lot and the only way I can figure out how to pull them back in and not have it noticeable on the out side of the bed is to use big wheel tubs. I got the sides welded back to the bed floor and that stiffened up the bed a lot! but the sides are still bowed out. the tubs are huge but I have plans for what to do with it. Yes my fab skills suck, and I am a grinder and not a welder but you got to start somewhere right? would help if I had a mig but I'm using a 50 dollar discounted H.F. flux core welder so.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:16 PM

Looking good man. Lots of work gettin done!
Old 06-26-2017, 06:30 PM

got the second tub built just need to trim to fit under the rail. That 50 dollar H.F. welder has been the best investment in this project yet.
spot welds look pretty good after wire brushed
big ole tub
Old 06-27-2017, 06:20 PM

I got the passenger side tub trimmed to fit the bedside I also threw on my old camper shell project just to see how much space I had above the wheel tubs to the top of the camper shell. well they take up a lot of the bed! and it will be worse when I cut some out of the front to fit on 4runner frame.

kinda tight between the wells but one could sleep there I think.

after moving the door handle on the door the tail gate will shut. That way I wont bust the glass while wheeling.
and at camp I can lower the tail gate to give my camper a porch!
above the wheel wells.
bottom of bed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dirtdobberoffroad's 1982 Pickup Build-Up Thread