Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1982 Toyota Shortbed 4x4 Build

Old 09-13-2016, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1982 Toyota Shortbed 4x4 Build

Just picked her up this weekend, went and got a carb kit, fuel pump and filter and 25ft of vacuum hose to start the process of getting her road ready again. I don't plan on turning her into a rock crawler or anything too crazy but I'd like to eventually turn her into a roadtrip truck that I can comfortably sleep in the bed and put my things in. I've seen a few conversions like this on google but the first step is getting her road ready. (and get new floor mats lol)

Old 09-14-2016, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet truck! Looks like you're well on your way to fixing it up. I spent a lot of nights in the back of mine. Have fun
Old 09-14-2016, 08:55 PM

thanks, I just replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, vacuum hoses(never seen so many in my life) and am almost done with the carb rebuilt then hopefully she'll be ready for smog and on the road! Sweet truck by the way, not sure if youre on instagram but there's this couple (noplannoproblema) who just turned their flatbed into a homebuilt chinook thats pretty cool.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:41 PM

Thats funny, those guys did almost the opposite of me. I turned a camper into a truck they turned a truck into a camper. Cool looking rig though
Old 09-15-2016, 06:43 PM

Also good luck with the smog situation, that can be quite a mess of vac lines under there. Do you know a knowledgeable shop in the area when it comes to smog? I know my cousin years ago had an 84 toyota and he was about to sell it because it wouldn't pass smog. He asked around and found a shop that specialized in older vehicles and smog. Had them give it a once over and passed first try.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
That is a great looking truck. Welcome to Yotatech.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:52 PM

Rowdy235,
Yeah I went through about 30ft of vacuum hose and have spent all day cleaning 33years of gunk out from under the seat. I powerwashed her yesterday so she looks pretty and put the rebuilt carb back on, runs much better but still not the healthiest I think she can be so I have a new muffler on the way but if all goes well I'm hoping to get smoged by the end of next weekend, my grandpa knows a guy who should be able to help when it comes to smog, but if something should come up theres a few toyota clubs in the area I can probably get ahold of.

Terry87,
Thank you, I'll do my best to keep the thread updated as I go!

((this is my first time on a car forum so im not too sure how to reply to posts(quote,@,etc) lol ))
Old 09-17-2016, 04:00 PM

I was playing around in Illustrator and very rough sketched a roofrack idea i have. I was thinking that the rack would be bolted to the camper but just floating over the cab of the truck, it wouldn't be able to support much weight because it would only be held by the campers bolts but i could perhaps put some kind of lightbar/lights and storage that isn't too heavy. (it's orange because the background was too dark for black lol)

Last edited by Jake Dioli; 09-18-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:34 PM

That is a nice truck, congratulations. How many miles are on it. I picked my 1980 that had been sitting for about 2 years. I gave it a through tune up, new fuel filter, flushed the fuel tank, rebuilt the carb and replaced vacuum hoses, basically the same as you have done. I took it to emissions not expecting much, but it passed with flying colors.
Good luck and I like the roof rack idea also.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:51 AM

Thanks Meatdawg, it has 232,000, it was the lady's dad's from 1985 til he died then she drove it a bit, had it serviced with various things in 2009 and then she non oped it in 2014. I just got the muffler on, and it sounds better than it dig with the huge hole in the old one lol. I'm going to go get new spark plugs and do an oil change this weekend so hopefully she'll be off to smog next week. Then the plan is new tires and start on the camper conv.

In other news, we had a lot rain in San Diego this past week and it looks like the camper may not be water tight so that's definitely something I have to look into before I even start the camper conversion. I have done a lot of research and sketched out the layout of the bed, but hopefully I can find the leaking areas and seal them.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:27 PM

I'd spray it with a garden hose and have somebody inside looking for leaks. I've found a lot of times those campers leak at the seal between the bed and the shell. The water runs down and seeps in underneath. Good news is the mounting tape is cheap and not hard to replace.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:45 AM

That's what I was planning on doing, I think it is that seal because just from looking at it from the outside it's pretty beat up. I plan on taking the shell off for a while to clean it up after it passes smog, I've also been looking into reasonably priced all terrain tires, I've read that the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor, General Grabber at2, and Cooper Discover at3 are all pretty good choices though I was hoping to spend a little less. It's a bummer, the tires have close to no wear but have been sitting for too long.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Nice find and good luck with the project!

Since this is more of a build thread than I tech thread, I'm going to move it to the Pre84 Build-up section for you
Old 10-13-2016, 08:05 PM

Sounds good Kawazx636!

Just an update since I haven't posted in a while, got her to pass smog, she didn't the first time...but "did" the second. I just got new tires today, i didn't go too crazy since i'm planning on sticking mostly to the road and only offroading now and then, I got pathfinder all terrains, they were the only thing discount tire had in 30s. I plan on taking the camper off and figuring out where the leak is soon.
On another note i've been toying with the tape deck, i believe it's after market, it's a "coustic rx-712", I THINK it worked when i got the truck home but can't seem to get it to work now. I saw a few pictures of a completely new layout for the dash but don't feel like cutting it up for a new stereo. Does anyone have any recommendations for a radio? I'm okay with a cassette player and i'll simply scrounge up all my familys old cassettes and might pick up one of the phone connector cassettes from best buy, or if there happens to be a modern stereo small enough to fit without cutting out anything that'd work too!
Old 03-26-2017, 04:23 PM

Stick with the cassette, totally fits the whole truck better than any digital new style IMO
Old 03-27-2017, 03:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
really nice truck looks to be great shape!