2010+ 4Runner 5th gen 4Runners

Rock Rails or side steps on 2010 4runner Trail

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock Rails or side steps on 2010 4runner Trail

I have a 2010 4runner trail and I would prefer to put rock rails rather than side steps/ nerf bars on my rig. I found these on the internet from Shrockworks and I'm wondering if anyone else has put them on their rig.

MY QUESTION IF YOU HAVE THEM IS THIS: Can you stand on them very well? I need to be able to access my roof rack as I put 2 kayaks on top twice a week.

Thanks!!

http://www.shrockworks.com/5th-Gener...-pr-16256.html
Old 04-30-2010, 10:22 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
wow thats a pretty penny for those bad boys, i think you would be fine, how ever, i personally don't like the bolt on application. I think these are just fine to stand on to load/unload from your roof rack. I would check with Wabfab, addited off road, marlin crawler, or another local to this forum to see if you can get them to fab up a set for a little better price...but that may just be how these are gonna cost you. Either way, they will hold up fine!! BTW i am very jealous of your '10 runner....
Old 05-03-2010, 05:27 PM

Same situation - looking for rock rails for 2010 4RunnerTrail

I am in San Diego and also want some rock rails for my 2010 4runner Trail. If you end up getting some rock rails can you let me know what you think of them?

I do not know if I am creative enough to go the custom route.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would never pay that much for those!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:12 AM

>I would never pay that much for those!

I agree with your sentiment, but I really desire something in place before my June 9 trip as currently there is a little plastic guard that could not withstand even a little bump and there seems to be minimal choices at this time. I like them, but I do not like them at that price (maybe $150 less would be better).
Old 05-04-2010, 09:56 AM

to answer your question, shrockworks makes a great product and has alot of satisified customers. their only downside is they are soo expensive. Rock sliders work good as side steps, only if you place them far enough out for you to get a good footing. Another question to ask yourself is what type of sliders do you want? bolt on or weld on, cause these are weld on.

I also saw you were from cincinnati, so click THIS
im sure any one of these people would be able to either install sliders, or fabricate some for you

CLICK
and for you hoy... and your not gonna find sliders for less than $150. youll be pullin about that if you do everything yourself. thats going to be about the cost of the steel (on the steep side: DOM, thickness, length, etc...) depending on the route you go

Last edited by VSU_4runnin; 05-04-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:22 AM

>cause these are weld on.

Are you sure because I thought they were bolt on. I desire bolt on.

>your not gonna find sliders for less than $150

I meant $150 less than the $500 price on those sliders (painted price). So I was thinking in the $350 price range but I would rather pay a little more for something that is of quality and I like than skimp a little. But $500 seems a little high for those; I am currently leaning towards waiting (not purchasing those sliders) and taking my new 4Runner Trail on its first workout without sliders.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by hoysch@hotmail.com
Are you sure because I thought they were bolt on. I desire bolt on.
ah, i fail.
didnt read the whole way down, they are bolt on

and if you hit the little blue quote button an the bottom right hand corner of the post you can do that ^^
Old 05-04-2010, 11:42 AM

Are you guys really complaining about the price on those? Do any of you know what it takes to build a quality bolt-on slider for that model? Do you know what .134 Wall DOM costs and how much they have to use for this?

I think they're priced reasonably for the work that it would take to build them. Weld on sliders are MUCH more simple than bolt-on.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ardent
Are you guys really complaining about the price on those? Do any of you know what it takes to build a quality bolt-on slider for that model? Do you know what .134 Wall DOM costs and how much they have to use for this?

I think they're priced reasonably for the work that it would take to build them. Weld on sliders are MUCH more simple than bolt-on.
amen x10
Old 05-11-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ardent

I always complain about price . I did not know that bolt on are significantly more costly then weld on but it makes some sense that they would be. I will likely spend a little time to see if I can find some locally that I like and if not I will likely order those (I do like those sliders).
Old 05-12-2010, 05:48 AM

Thanks guys for all of the feedback. I'm going to see if I can have a set of bolt on made locally that are of the quality of Shrockworks. I agree the price is "pricey" but the product is high quality. In the end, I can't seem to get anyone that owns the Shrockworks to call me and let me know how well they work as side steps as I really do need to get access to the top of the vehicle. I've called Shrockworks and they've given my number to an owner but that owner has never called.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jacobaic
Thanks guys for all of the feedback. I'm going to see if I can have a set of bolt on made locally that are of the quality of Shrockworks. I agree the price is "pricey" but the product is high quality. In the end, I can't seem to get anyone that owns the Shrockworks to call me and let me know how well they work as side steps as I really do need to get access to the top of the vehicle. I've called Shrockworks and they've given my number to an owner but that owner has never called.
really it all depends on how far out they stick from the truck. if its only an inch or so they would make terrible steps, 3 or more.. pretty good ones. Just go stand in the captain morgan stance next to your runner and see how big your foot is and where the ball of it lands that should give you an idea of whaat kind of distance you need
Old 05-14-2010, 10:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its a lot of money, but I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to weld on sliders to a mint frame.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:13 PM

I'm making my own.....couldn't find exactly what I wanted. There's a fellow over on another 4runner forum making bolt on sliders for like 5 bills..pretty reasonable.

On another note..would I hurt my frame by welding these on?!?

Thanks, Pat
Attached Thumbnails Rock Rails or side steps on 2010 4runner Trail-rba.jpg   Rock Rails or side steps on 2010 4runner Trail-rbc.jpg   Rock Rails or side steps on 2010 4runner Trail-rbb.jpg  
Old 05-23-2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by titanpat57

Thanks, Pat
meah... depends on your welding skills. if your running too hot yah you can. youll start burning holes in the frame. but if you trust your welding skills then there should be no problem.

btw sliders look great, however if theyre going to be weld on i would take off the frame wrap pieces and simply have the legs weld onto a square piece of steel then weld that square peice to the frame. thats how almost all weld ons are done
Old 06-19-2010, 08:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by titanpat57
I'm making my own.....couldn't find exactly what I wanted. There's a fellow over on another 4runner forum making bolt on sliders for like 5 bills..pretty reasonable.

Thanks, Pat
Any strength lost from the heat will probably be replaced by the strength of the sliders. That said, don't heat it up too much or you will damage it.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:21 PM

We were tasked with trying to 'break' the 2010 4Runner on the trail (we were given two prototypes). The only non-stock parts that were on the truck were rock sliders and GY MT-R's as close to stock size as we could get.

The rock sliders were the DIY kit from 4xinnovations.com with the 60" versions I think (they have since changed their website design). This is the kit we used. Yes...it took a little time and fab work, but the final product was bolt-on using the existing nutserts on the frame rail. Imperfect, because both had KDSS so we had to improvise a little around the hoses along the frame rail, but turned out to be pretty tough.

DISCLAIMER: we had to make the tubes going from the frame to the slider longer than desireable which made them a little flexy especially at the frame. They took a beating on the trail but we did not use a hi-lift on the finished sliders.

You can sort of see them on the truck the top photo here and moreso in the video here. NOTE: the Japanese guy hammering on the 4Runner behind the wheel was the Chief Engineer Nishimura trying to 'break' the truck. The guy diving out of the way (spotter) was me.

Worked well as sliders (knowing that these weren't hi-lift worthy) and way stout for steps. They were $220 delivered, but it took some welding and fabrication to get them finished.

FWIW, the last I remember I sent those sliders to Toyota Accessories as they were undecided as to whether or not they would offer them as an accessory like the FJ. I guess not yet...