2010+ 4Runner 5th gen 4Runners

Engine trouble in 2015 4Runner: service department error

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine trouble in 2015 4Runner: service department error

I have a 2015 4Runner Limited. I bring it in to my local dealership (60 miles away. That is in fact the closest to me!) for my 10,000 mile service. It takes an hour and a half for them to service the vehicle (3:30pm-5:00pm). I leave from there and take my daughter to ice cream. We sit for about 30 minutes and drive home. About 5 min from my house I notice a slight grinding noise so I slow down a little bit and turn the volume down on my radio but don't hear it again. I speed up and I hear it again, so once again I slow down. I get home (7:30pm), shut the vehicle off and immediately I smell burnt oil and black smoke is coming from my rear drivers side tire. I run inside and get my husband who comes out and checks the oil. The dipstick has no oil on it. He thinks (neither of us are mechanics) maybe we need to let it sit since it just ran. He goes out 5 minutes later and still nothing. He climbs under the truck and there is very visible and clear fresh oil splattered all the way to the spare tire. He calls the dealership who first says call back tomorrow. Once he realizes the oil is everywhere he calls back and demands to speak to someone. They push him through to the general manager who assured him they will call him first thing in the morning. 7:30 am we get a call from the service manager who says they're sending a tow truck and a rental. There's a whole lot of BS that happens in between - but the tow the truck to the dealership, we insist on being there when it's inspected. We have documented every person we've spoken to, taken video and photo of the vehicle at our residence and video and photographed the inspection.

The mechanic who changed our oil didn't sit the O-Ring properly. When they took the filter off there were about 6 drips of oil. When they took the pan off (is this right? I've never changed oil) there was enough oil to fill a 16oz water bottle left in my engine (this is what they used to drain it to see if there were any gold flecks?). They did another oil change on the car and tried to convince us to drive it home. We refused.

They offered us an extended warranty on the engine. We already bought the 120,00 bumper to bumper warranty when we purchased it 6 months ago. They offered to replace the engine. The owner, I kid you not, said a vehicle can run with no oil and do no damage to the engine. He knows this because he raced as a child and they would only use about a cup of oil. I drove 60 solid miles. The service tech explained when the truck heated up the O ring exploded and the oil left the engine at that point.

They said a new engine wouldn't show on a report nor would it affect the resale value of my vehicle. They then said they have everything documented so we are covered if we want to drive it home. We said if they wanted to sell our truck with a new engine or even the way it was, that was their discretion but we want a new vehicle with the exact same options, in the condition we brought ours in for an oil change. We don't want it for free, but we don't want to pay a penny more than what we owe on our 4Runner for it. We have zero faith in our engine and any other part connected to it that could be affected immediately or miles down the road.

We have involved Corporate in this, but because it happened on a Saturday it was a slow process to get started and we had an obligation we had to be at in our hometown at 4:00 pm.

The dealership has refused, at this point, to do anything except replace our engine. The technician who preformed the oil change was confronted and asked to stay to see if he can walk them through what went wrong and he clocked out and quit before both us and the truck arrived.

My questions: 1. Will a new engine in fact affect the resale of my brand new vehicle?

2. Has this happened to anyone else and what was the outcome?