86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:23 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

After reading up and some INCREDIBLE help from this site through people such as Superbleeder and many others, I've began to tear down my 87 4Runner's 22re with 256k Miles, DOESN'T smoke at all, uses a lil coolant, etc.-below...

Thus far;

I've pulled the Radiator, Fan and shroud, Throttle Body, Plenum and intake(which I'll clean well, and....couple of PITA bolts and wiring harness issues...later, lol), exhaust and valve cover. I'm basically a few bolts from being able to just pull the engine or leave it mounted and just do a half/overhaul(have the head checked out and surfaced, timing chain kit from LCE(already have), header(already have), Oil Pump(already have), injectors serviced by RC Engineering(picking them up in an hour), do any repairs to the head that are necessary or replace, and then bolt it all back together. ORRRRRRRR, I could just, at this point, pull the motor and either drop a new one in or rebuild it.

Basically, from what I've heard, the engine is 'ok' for a while with 125 or so compression across the board, but the timing chain cover, valve cover and possibly head gasket(it runs a bit warm with all new cooling parts and uses a lil coolant) are leaking like pigs(took me almost an hour to get all the built up oil off the block on the exhaust side.....intake side seems pretty much spotless(???)> Oh, and I believe my oil pan is leaking a bit, too(Too hard to tell with all these other leaks) and I wonder if it's a huge job to do the pan gasket.....dropping the Trans stuff in the way and all?

I'm not broke, but I'm of the school that believes I should get what I can out of something before replacing the entire thing. Besides, I could use the money I have to throw at it for other things, for now(IE- Air intake system to go with my header, ....have the throttle body bored out or something, electric fan?...I don't know, just using examples).

I will post pics asap(Have MANY, of everything I've done so far), but I'm on a new PC due to a OS DESTROYER I got on Photobucket, so I'm also asking if anyone can recommend a safe site I can use for posting pics here? Thanks.. And, I'm wondering, now, "Are there any recommendations on head servicing in Los Angeles(I'd like to walk it in)", or would I be better off purchasing a rebuilt or bored out head from Engnbldr or LCE?

Sorry, I'm sure I'm ticking off some people, but I'm a new grandfather, caring for both of my stroke victim parents and, well, while I could afford, with some wiggling, to just drop a pro-stock LCE engine in here, .....I just don't have it in me to spend that kind of cabbage when/if it's not really necessary. I'll post more pics when I get the head off(gasket and timing kit have at least 150k on them.....block has at least 150 and possibly 265k, the total on this truck).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated(as to which path is more wise---"just do the timing kit and head check-out" or "just go all the way, we'll help you through it"---and I have all the time I need to do this, including a rebuild---So, what I mean is, any tips on what to look for when I get the head off, ....on the timing kit w/oil pump, .....on the header, ....etc.

Thanks, so much, guys, ....92 Yota, Bleeder, Moze(and all his homies, lol), Merfal, and many others have been so kind, patient and helpful....I'm really GRATEFUL!

Mark

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 04-30-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:29 AM

Heading out to get the Injectors(including the CSI) from RC....I'll check in and post the pics of my work, thus far, sometime today.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say drop something new in there. I have always wanted to. Try to find qualities in each each option though. Do you like your mileage of the four banger or would you rather be able to maintain speed limit up hills? Just an example haha
Old 04-30-2010, 02:24 PM

Nah, just do the timing chain, head gasket and get the head checked like you said and you should be good. No need to spend money frivolously. The money you save on the engine you could spend on something else.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:15 AM

Steve, I hear ya! lol.....However, I'm a fan of this motor, it's economic characteristics, and it's got all the power I need(Minus the hills, lol....but I'm going to work on that with some mods, including but not limited to my header).

Pruney, Yeah, I'd planned to do that, but yesterday, an old friend of mine, 22 Yr. Yota Mechanic, came out to L.A. to visit someone and stopped by(YAY!LOL), and after looking everything over and doing some tests, he thinks the timing chain and HG were done at around 110k, right before I bought it......but the bottom end wasn't touched, and it hasn't been for a total of 256k, ...thus, the 118-130lb. max compression. We talked for a short time and he turned me on to "His Homie", who will totally rebuild my motor for 1200$. He does the motors all OEM and high end DOA Cam and other stuff, including valves, guides, springs, rockers, crank, pistons, rings, rods, balanced and blueprinted block and such,.....the other couple mechanics I know said, "JUMP ON THAT, NOW"....So I'm on it, like a wet blanket! lol. I guess this Machinist does MANY high end Yota Motors for multiple shops, including some dealer builds, and agreed to do it for me for this price, just a bit over cost and very low labor(plus, he does all the work, personally)......I'm going to go for it....

The guys in Hawaiian Gardens, CA., and he will also use his special machines to completely clean out the intake and throttle body to like brand new and my buddies going to try and find the time while he's here to show me how to do an EGR bypass, amongst some other things(give me some contacts, if he can contact them, lol...for some throttle body work and air intake ideas, cheap).

Yesterday, I went to RC Engineering to pick up my Injectors, .....2 were leaking, badly, and the 5th, my CSI was also leaking fairly badly. They replaced all the filters, o-rings, grommets, calibrated them and they all wound up at "EXCELLENT" when finished. (I highly recommend RC for injector work, ......VERY professional, helpful and the guy does some REALLY high end race cars, etc. They actually spent about 30 minutes speaking with me and giving me some contacts and helpful info for some possible future projects)

So, when all is said and done, I'll be starting with a VERY fresh 22re with a spotless intake and throttle body, an LCE header-To CAT, a few new sensors and I was wondering, ......2 things.

1. Does anyone know the best link on this site for me to remove my motor?(It's almost all the way broken down, other than the AC, ALT, steering and that wrap-around water pipe--does that have a support mount on the back of the block/head?). I'd really appreciate any input on the safest/best way to get this thing out and off to this Machinist.
2. He doesn't pick up or drop off(pretty much only deals with high end shops and dealers....so ppl bring everything to him)...soooooo, best way to get it to him? Is there a safe way to get this into the back of my CRV, bare long block, lying down and tied down VERY tight? Just thinking the hoist or stand wont make this easy.....Does anyone; ....Know anyone in Los Angeles who transports motors for a reasonable price?

I"ll surf the site for the best engine removal instructions, but any links would be appreciated
Old 05-01-2010, 10:59 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Man if you're planing to go that far... Head gasket and Tchain... Just do yourself a favor and pull it, and re ring it?

for 1, I'd never pull a head w/o having it reworked... And if you do that, you'll just be adding to the pressure on the already taxed piston rings...

2, don't put those plastic guides back in it.

3, if you pull it, you'll have plenty of room to do all the work. 22RE's are NOT fun to work on while they're still in... And not only that, but with removing the head, the engines practically out anyway... Do a rear main and AISIN clutch disc at the same time...

Orrrrr, you could just pick up a mystery motor/ basket case and rebuild it, and just plan out a time and swap the two.

I just can't understand why one would do a head and Tchain with 125lbs on the cylinders...

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 05-01-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:54 PM

Hey Tried, lol.....love your ID btw, haha. Anyway, yes, I understand wondering why I'd bother with 125....There are a couple reasons. For one, we redid the compression and got 115 in the front and 140 in the rear on a wet test. I mean, I definitely need to adjust the valves, but that's a pretty decent leak on a ring, no?

Second, it leaks like a STUCK PIG, both front and rear(thought it was the Distributor O-ring on one leak....nope, the ring was still sealing fairly well). The timing cover IS leaking pretty badly near the top passenger side and ALL OVER the driver side, so....why not do a timing kit/seals with 140k on it while I'm in there, right? Also, all the papers I got from it never showed an oil pump receipt, just water pump, which I replaced(the former was leaking through the weep holes and I am eating a lil coolant from what I can tell.....could be the beginning of a tiny head gasket leak, right?

Third, while a really good mechanic I trust said it will probably last a while b4 needing any major overhaul, he also said, "However, I do hear what I'm pretty sure is at least one lower end knock-could be a bearing wearing out- and it's leaking pretty bad from the front and rear mains"...then he some what hinted at just get it over with and do it all while I have it out.

Like I said, I can totally appreciate where you're coming from, Tried, as well as everyone else. Yet, there's one more thing involved here that I have to add as to why I want to get it over with now. Right now, cooking for these people in Palos Verdes, I have a place to work on my truck, and I've actually had the garage all to myself(trucks in there now). Within the next couple years, I will not have this garage any longer, as I'll have to move on, and I have NO IDEA whether or not I'll have a spot to work on it, to this extent(it's L.A., trust me, it's not that unusual to not have a spot to work on it....or like my last place, they wont let you, ...AT ALL) . Not to mention, it will be my ONLY vehicle at that point, ...the CRV is their car.

So, I've just been figuring, "While I can afford it, while I have the spare time and resources like the garage and another vehicle to use....I might want to think ahead and just do it, along with a couple of mod's to give it a lil bit better breathing and exhaust....possibly fix any failing suspension parts as well while I'm at it. I promise, I'm not a "hey, let's just blow some cash on some useless things" kinda guy. I care for both my parents, every spare minute I have, and I also care for one of my two daughters, who has also just made me a Grandfather.....so please, believe me, ...I'm frugal as possible with a side order of precautionary. lol. I've had the same TV, Stereo system and most everything else for over 12 years....and I could have got them all new, including the Truck....I just figured, why not head this off before my HORRIFIC track record with murphy's law catches up with me, yet again. Make sense? I mean, I plan on keeping this truck for the rest of my life........that is, as long as Obama will let me keep it, lol.

Thanks for the advice, guys, ....any advice on that hidden bolt when removing the engine? ....Or is that on a V6? I'm down to the water pipe that wraps around the back of the motor, ...everything else is off(tied off the steering pump, Alt and AC, and my neighbor has a serious hoist, so I wont need to rent one(YAY!LOL)
Old 05-01-2010, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your mechanic is right, if only because of the fact that the motor can run on one cylinder, upside down, with no oil, and a hole the size of your fist in the block before needing a major overhaul, but that doesn't mean you should let it happen! If it's knocking now, save yourself a bunch of trouble and money, get it done now before it gets worse.

Last edited by Magnusian; 05-01-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:01 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
hey, yo...subscribing.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:14 PM

My vote is to do the minimum to keep it going. Save the money in mods minus the electric fan and save for a 3rz. I swapped mine and am SO glad i did. I'm getting about 25-27mpg on 37's with gears in CO. I can do 75+ on the highway with no issues. The motor is smooth and sounds great Way more power then i expected and not much slower then the 3.4. The guy i got the motor from swapped to a 3.4 and racing on to the highway were dead even tel top of 3rd and the beginning of 4th..The thing is hes getting about 17 on a good day.

Look in to it the swap is cake and well worth it.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
We talked for a short time and he turned me on to "His Homie", who will totally rebuild my motor for 1200$. He does the motors all OEM and high end DOA Cam and other stuff, including valves, guides, springs, rockers, crank, pistons, rings, rods, balanced and blueprinted block and such,.....the other couple mechanics I know said, "JUMP ON THAT, NOW"....So I'm on it, like a wet blanket! lol. I guess this Machinist does MANY high end Yota Motors for multiple shops, including some dealer builds, and agreed to do it for me for this price, just a bit over cost and very low labor(plus, he does all the work, personally)......I'm going to go for it....
Wow, that's a super deal. Don't you dare pass that up.

If you're planning on taking the engine apart yourself (be sure to number the rod ends and caps), the components can be loaded into a car by one person. The block is the heaviest, but bare it only weighs about 89 lbs.

Removing the engine is pretty straightforward. The biggest hassle is the top two bellhousing bolts. Use a long (like 2' or so) socket extension and a wobble joint.

Last edited by flyingbrass; 05-02-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:18 AM

Hey, thanks, everyone who's commented. I've had some family issues coming from 4 different angles over the last few days, so I've not had time to pull it yet. In fact, I'm going to tear into it a bit more(remove the head) on Monday, check the cylinder conditions, then go from there. I've had so much different advice that blood is shooting out of my eyes....but THAT'S A GOOD THING, because if anything, it's caused me to get more and more into the 'inner workings' of this engine and reminded me just how reliable and often indestructible they can be(Had 380k on an 86EFi one and never TOUCHED the bottom end....and it still passed smog b4 I sold it).

From what I can see, w/out pulling the timing cover(can't see the Bright link on the Crank Mark), ...when at TDC, my 'Bright' timing chain link is RIGHT ON THE MARK on the Crank(Dimple just left of 12o'clock), ....and I can't see until the morning whether the guides are wearing(I'm going to remove the cover, anyhow....the main seal seems to be leaking and the cover as well...besides, I have the chain kit w/steel guides whether I do it or I have it rebuilt and give him my LCE kit. I also got news from my employers, today, that whether I decide to do it now or not, they will give me the money for the rebuild to sock away, and they totally trust me to use it only for the rebuild, when the time comes, IF I choose NOT to do the whole thing, now.

I've got HUNDREDS of good pictures of the stripping it down, etc., but I AM REALLY leery of using Photobucket again, ..But, ...oh well, here goes.........

PS> Thanks again, for any positive and constructive input, guys.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:04 AM

Well, here she is in the Garage where this all started(THANK YOU GOD for a garage to work in!)
[IMG][/IMG]

Next, the Motor, engine bay, before I cleaned it up at all....

Next, after a lil cleaning of the firewalls and such.........

Then, pretty sure I had a DECENT exhaust leak, ....I got that off next......

See what I mean about the leaks, front and rear?^^^

THIS FRIGGEN BOLT, forced into the collector, took a CHUNK of time, but thankfully, it backed out.....EVENTUALLY!LOL.....(nice set up the PO had on there, eh????

Here's the 23 year old Exhaust, layin on the crete....

Here's the condition of the collectors....not good, lol.....

After cleaning up the block as best as I could on the exhaust side....

A Big Brown Truck drove up front, dropping these off......(and the header)

Next, I got on to the labeling process and got into the intake side........

And here are some pics of the infamous BLACK GOOOOOOO(AFTER two intake treatments of Seafoam and one in the tank, btw....nudge nudge, lol) Also, pics of the valves, etc....

Thought I'd throw one in of just a few of my 'friends' out in the garage.....I love Orchids.....I guess because they're a PAIN IN THE RUMP! lolol.....

Here's the CAT(not sure if this is a good way to show you and ask "is it ok?", but it doesn't rattle, ...any thoughts on the best way to check?........

This farkin bastage, ....DID NOT WANT TO BREAK FOR ME...but eventually it did(required a 22MM wrench I had to go get for 75% off at Kragen, lol)......

Here's the CAM Gear Dimple and Bright link, at TDC Compression Stroke.........

Andddddddddd, here is her heart, awaiting a decision as to whether I'll yank her or just freshen her up!..........

I have more pics, hahaha, but I just wanted you to know that I appreciate the encouragement from some of you. I know I'm not alone in having some tough times over the past years....and I'm not complaining, ...but this is my first tear down of a 22re, and I'm a lil overwhelmed at times, having so LIL time to go at it, yet I'M LOVING IT! I really enjoy this and I'd love to just drive to 600k on this motor until half the bottom end drops out....but that's just not me...I'd be chewing on my nails whenever it wasn't purring, lol. Jk, but you get what I mean, I hope.

I'm TOTALLY wiped out, and I need to crash, but I wanted to at least let y'all know, ...I AM doing everything I can, when I have the time. Just hoping that I'll make the best decision on what to do, ......NEXT! LOL.

Ttysoon, ....L8r T8rs!

Mark

PS> I think I said, already; I got the injectors back and they were 186-189 across the board, like brand new, and the three that were leaking badly are all fixed up. I'll get pics of those, tomorrow...MAN they look new. Gotta say, RC ENGINEERING ROCKS! And yes, they take stuff in the mail! Please check em out if you're needing that service.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:43 AM

PS> Does that top end look more "Copper" than normal? It's not the pic, it's really orange. Also, there's a LOT of stuff caked around the walls of the top of the head. Just fyi stuff.

No matter what, i'm pulling it at this point. For one, it will be easier to do the clutch and rear main, right? Second, it'll be nice to REALLY clean everything out in there, thoroughly. Btw, my steering pump is TOTALLY caked in stuff and it appears as though the bottom hose is leaking.....is that from pressure? Good way to test it? Steering is smooth, very smooth, but I think it's losing a bit of fluid somewhere.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:44 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
wow , nice pics
Old 05-03-2010, 07:09 AM

Wow man you are goin at that thing! By now I think you may as well rebuild er up brand new again. That thing will treat you good for along time.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:09 AM

Wicked good job
Old 05-03-2010, 08:11 AM

Thanks, guys, ....any ideas on the CAT, Steering or otherwise?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:28 AM

Man, you are hauling butt on this thing. If we weren't in commiefornia, id say ditch the cat, but hey, you know.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:47 AM

Sean, from the pics, can you see if the CAT's plugged or not? What's the best way to tell? If I don't rebuild the whole thing, one of the things I'll do for now is increase flow with a "high flow" CAT. BTW, I just got smogged........do I reaaaaaaaaaaaaally need it in there right now? hahaha. Jk, you know how CHP is, ....they can SEE THROUGH METAL, and they love to dog you for illegal tires, spacers, mod's they don't like or THINK might be illegal. HOWEVERRRRRRR, bypassing the EGR, that's another story, eh? lol.

Any ideas, thoughts, anyone?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread