Other Makes Cars/Trucks Own a different car or truck other than a Toyota?

New (to us) 4x4-Kia Borrego

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 02:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New (to us) 4x4-Kia Borrego

Just got delivered yesterday:

Kia only made these for one year-they introduced a fullsize SUV with body on frame (not unibody) construction and low range 4WD when everyone else was changing over to unibody "crossover" type SUVs. As a result it didn't sell very well and was discontinued in the U.S. after one model year. The Borrego is still produced in Europe and Asia as the "Mohave." I needed a decent sized, reasonably priced 4x4 for the wife to use as a kiddie mover and that we could take on long trips and do some light overlanding/off-roading in. We picked this one up certified pre-owned (carries the factory warranty, etc...) for $17,500. The 260HP/260LB-FT V6 is a nice little motor-like a GM 4.3L with a little less displacement (3.8L) and a lot more balls. I haven't gotten a chance to try out the 4WD yet but hope to soon. The most this thing will ever see will be some badly maintained gravel roads with the occasional washed out hill and snow of course, but I'll take real 4WD over AWD any day. It will tow 5000lbs too and already has a hidden hitch from the factory. It's no 4Runner, but it will do for now. REAL off-roading is what the Yota truck is for Although, rumor has it that OME might do a lift kit for it-its pretty simple-just taller coils. They already make one for the 1st generation Sorento which is basically the same type of vehicle (low range 4x4, body on frame, etc...) and since the Borrego is still made overseas (including Oz I think) I'm hoping it happens. Ground clearance right now is only about 9" and the largest you can go on tires is just a hair over 30". With 1.5" of lift and 31s it would look pretty nice.

Last edited by Badfish740; 03-03-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a nice lookin vehicle, perfect for mom and the kids. I'd wheel it to see where and what the potential is. Maybe it'll do fine in stock configuration...
Old 03-03-2012, 05:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sensei
That's a nice lookin vehicle, perfect for mom and the kids. I'd wheel it to see where and what the potential is. Maybe it'll do fine in stock configuration...
Thanks-we looked at the Sorento which is the mid-sized version-we ended up going with the Borrego for the third row seat (should keep me from ever having to drive a mini-van ) since we have one child now but would like more. The nice thing about the Sorento (at least the 1st gens) is that they have low range AND a solid rear axle. The Borrego has IRS, but oh well. The tires on it now aren't bad-Geotrac (Nankang) Patagonia A/Ts-nice chunky tread. Once they wear out I might try to go with something more aggressive. This vehicle will get babied for the most part, at least while its under warranty. It will come in handy when we head up to our favorite lake once we get some nice spring weekends. It's on federal land (Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area) and the park service closes the access road from December to about April. When they reopen it for the year its usually in pretty bad shape from runoff, etc... Until it's regraded taking a 2WD without adequate ground clearance is a bad idea. That's the best time to go since its usually not crowded. Plus my wife's job is about 5 miles north of us, up a 6% grade-they're usually good about plowing it, but it's not uncommon to encounter folks sliding backwards down the hill after a good snow.