Other Makes Cars/Trucks Own a different car or truck other than a Toyota?

1961 Willys CJ-5

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1961 Willys CJ-5

Just got my six year old his first vehicle. We picked up a 61 Willys in pretty good condition for 1900.00 and plan on doing a frame up restore over the next 10 years until he is old enough to drive. I don't have any pictures to post yet because it is hidden till Christmas morning, I will post pictures of it after we give it to him. It does have a few issues but nothing horrible. It has some wiring that needs to be worked out and the passenger floorboard is rusted but we will be able to weld in a new plate in the next few weeks. I know its not a Yota but I am still loyal to my little 83. This CJ is going to be a fun project for me and my son to work on and spend some time together. My hope is that he will get some good memories with dad and will try to keep the Willys in good shape for a few years.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:15 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
I'd like to see pictures. I have a friend with a '59 Willys pickup. The eternal project. They are scarce around here.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:18 PM

They are hard to come by here too. We have been looking for a long time to find one with little rust and that ran decent. Compared to some we have found this one is mint. I hope he is as excited in few days as I am right now. I drove that thing 75 miles in the cold with no top on the interstate at 50mph. Colorado in December is not a good time to drive with your hair blowing in the wind.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:11 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
Put a wreath or bow on the front grill and take LOTS of pictures. Kids especially love Jeeps because they're both small.

Oh. Did I just say the "J" word? I meant to say Willys.

Last edited by Nervo19; 12-22-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:17 PM

I still can't make myself call it a jeep.....We got a huge bow that covers most of the hood so I think we went sufficiently overboard on that. I fell in love with the willys from watching Combat and MASH. Not sure how many people will remember combat but I used to watch reruns with my grandpa. Those Willys are tiny it cracks me up parked next to my explorer.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:24 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like a splendid project. i know most don't but I kinda like jeeps.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:32 PM

My only dislike of jeeps is from most of the owners I have been around. The ones around here think that jeep makes the only 4x4 and nothing else can share a trail with them. The old jeeps just look cool and are a blast to drive. The biggest reason for getting it was so me and my son can share a project. Anyone on here know a lot about these CJs? I know nothing about the old willys so I guess me and the boy will have to learn together. I can't wait till we can get it out in hills....might have to wait for warmer weather.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:24 PM

Now the show " The Rat Patrol " was a cool show for jeeps.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:27 PM

Old 12-22-2011, 08:28 PM

Old 12-23-2011, 10:31 AM

We have had a problem with someone stealing our cristmas lights off our house the past few days and last night they stole the high lift and one of the jerry cans off my sons new jeep. I am pissed to say the least. The cops said they really can't do anything so I am going to put my Army training to good use tonight and catch them myself. Why do people feel the need to mess with other peoples things? We rigged up a security camera to get their picture and I am going to be waiting in the garage for them all night. I know they didn't take much but it makes me feel like my home is less secure and like I said they just made me mad.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:34 AM

Well thats not good,,,,,,,,,,,,I know its a day late and a dollar short but lock m next time.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:14 PM

The jack was locked but it was just a cheap padlock.....they left the two pieces on the ground in front of the jeep. I didn't know they made locks for jerry cans. I am going to have to look into that.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:53 PM

Make your own.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:57 AM

For the first time since my son started talking he was speechless. He said it was the coolest present he ever got and he is already talking about what color he wants to paint it. Teuf those locks for the jerry cans look pretty cool. Are they just attached to the mount behind the cans, and what is the point of the bar sticking out to the left. I am going to post some pictures we took of the jeep on Christmas morning later this evening after things get calmed down around here. I hope everyone had a blast on Christmas.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Teuf
Make your own.
Well the post is supposed to deter the fuel cap from being opened, it can be bent though.. I am going to rethink that one.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:24 PM

jeeps are cool, the only ones i dont like are the ones that have never been down a trail. good luck with ur project!
Old 12-26-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Janderson31R
We have had a problem with someone stealing our cristmas lights off our house the past few days and last night they stole the high lift and one of the jerry cans off my sons new jeep. I am pissed to say the least. The cops said they really can't do anything so I am going to put my Army training to good use tonight and catch them myself. Why do people feel the need to mess with other peoples things? We rigged up a security camera to get their picture and I am going to be waiting in the garage for them all night. I know they didn't take much but it makes me feel like my home is less secure and like I said they just made me mad.
Sorry to hear about your kit being stolen but, happy to hear that someone is going to get the chance to put their Army training into some domestic operations. I used to love night-ops, Happy hunting soldier!
Old 12-26-2011, 06:28 PM

Teuf thanks for posting the mini how to. My welding skills are lacking but I am going to try to make a few of those. I think I have an idea to block off the caps...instead of a bar that goes across I think I am going to try to make a piece that covers the whole top of the can. If they bend that back enough to steal the gas they need it more than me.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by michael1963
Sorry to hear about your kit being stolen but, happy to hear that someone is going to get the chance to put their Army training into some domestic operations. I used to love night-ops, Happy hunting soldier!
The hunting trip was a success. Turned out it was a couple punk kids out causing trouble. Scared the crap out of them at 1am in my boxers with a rifle. Made them take me back to their house and wake up their dad. I talked to him for a while and he wasn't happy with his boys. I did end up getting my stuff back and their dad payed for the lock they cut. I didn't call the cops but judging from their dad I think they got more than just grounded.

Quick Reply: 1961 Willys CJ-5