Motorcycles Motorcycles of any kind including ATVs

Why you should wear a helmet on an ATV

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 08:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow and what a good thread!!! Glad to hear everyone here is wearing helmet's. I have often been a very strong seller of wearing a helmet. Iowa doesn't have a helmet law for cycles or any thing else like that. It cost peoples lives every year! My good friend that owns several bike shops, started a prograhm in the small community I am from and every spring the 4th Thursday of the month. I have several civic groups help with the dollars of buying a new bycycle helmet for each second grader in the elemtry school here. Usually between 100-140 helmets each year. He and I started doing that in 1988, I don't know if it has made any impact, I hope it has. The sad part that I see as summer go on the kids will be out riding bycycles with mom and dad, the kids have on thier helmets but mom and dad don't... I look at them and think, WTF wonder how mommie would feel having junior change her diper every day for her for the rest of her life??? I eve have asked parents that and they just look at you like "that anit gonna happen to me!!" I hope it doesn't but it does happen..... Thanks for letting me vent here a little. but it just seems so senceless when all you had to do was put on a silly helmet and now that could be the difference weather you end up at thirty years old with drool running down your face with you not being able to do any thing about it. Or being thirty years old celedbating the fact that you are having your second child and that you are going to be there for them, as they grow up!!!! Big Difference for something so simple....... TJ
Old 12-02-2006, 08:41 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That crash is the same reason why I sold my 125 dirtbike. I will never forget smashing my hand as the final straw, was riding in the woods and tried to go through 2 trees and it was to narrow and I literally smashed my right hand up alot.

Now years later I cannot write properly and it bothers me sometimes. That was the final straw, but I dropped alot and did alot of other dumb stuff before.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:58 AM
Contributing Member

I don't believe we need helmet laws or seatbelt laws for people over 18 since you're an adult and you can make the choice for yourself and it separates the smart people from the foolish. I myself always wear a helmet even for simple bike rides.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by CJM
That crash is the same reason why I sold my 125 dirtbike. I will never forget smashing my hand as the final straw, was riding in the woods and tried to go through 2 trees and it was to narrow and I literally smashed my right hand up alot.

Now years later I cannot write properly and it bothers me sometimes. That was the final straw, but I dropped alot and did alot of other dumb stuff before.
Your trail riding a 2 stroke bike with no bark busters?! Your crazy! On all my dirtbikes I bought bark busters, it is like a stout aluminum guard that oes into the end of the bar, and curves around the levers, saved my hands many a times. I sold my YZ125 a few years back, and I just have an 80 now, but I really want a 250, might wind up springing for a 4stroke bike, like one of those big 450s, but I'm still not sure yet.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just found this thread. 2-strokes are tricky for tail and hill riding. I don't know if I could ever get comfortable on one. I have an '03 Kawasaki KFX 400. She's all torque so I don't have problems with hills unless I go up in too high of a gear. I've learned most hills can be conquered if you are constant on the throttle. I've almost done the same thing you did many times. I always wear a helmet unless I'm putting around with my gf on the back.

Here's a pic of mine:

Rob
Old 02-16-2007, 09:24 AM

i still ride my 2001 Suzuki DRZ250...altho not nearly as much as i used to...its been for sale for the past like year, but i just never advertise it all that much, cuz i really dont wanna see it go lol..
Old 02-16-2007, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HELEMT LAWS SUCK.

the cop who took a picture of me in the emergency room made sure he could see that sticker on my helmet.
i still have that helmet hanging on the wall in my garage.

having a :fireman: for a father gave me more than enough reason to wear it, sometimes with the of a $10 head.

Last edited by surf4runner; 02-16-2007 at 02:50 PM.