Motorcycles Motorcycles of any kind including ATVs

Bike Rebuild Question?

Old 01-29-2012, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bike Rebuild Question?

Hi guys, looking for some opinions on rebuilding a bike. I found an add for a wrecked cbr600rr. Guys asking 1500, said he'd sell it for 1200 ( Honda 600RR Parts Bike ). My question is, does anyone have experience in rebuilding a wrecked bike to this extent? For sure it will need gauges, rims (ones on it are bent), tires, brakes (rotors, pads, calipers), lights, and other odds and ends. Just looking to see if it will be worth it or if Im wasting my time with a money pit. Let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks
Old 01-29-2012, 08:45 AM

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...32e9&disp=imgs ...heres a link to pictures, works for me, let me know if you can/cant see it
Old 01-29-2012, 09:52 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Pics dont work. If its your first time and don't have a garage full of parts yet then I wouldn't bother. It would probably be cheaper to buy a mildly wrecked bike for not much more and fix a few minor things, not major components like the front end. 1200 is pretty steep unless it's a new bike (you didn't say year) or comes with some goodies. By the time you're done getting it rideable, and after you consider time invested, you're probably going to spend as much as you would on a running, registered, rideable bike. But if it's some rare, expensive or classic bike it may be worth it - but not on a very abundant bike IMO.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:59 AM

http://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/2810766610.html ...link to add. I dont have a photobucket or anything so I cant upload the pics he sent me. I am with you on the price being steep along with the time and money invested to find new parts
Old 05-18-2012, 11:18 AM

I realize this is four months later, but something else to look into prior to buying a 'wrecked' bike - is how will it be titled? If it's going to be a salvage title, then you should check with a local shop or your state's gov't offices: in some cases, the only way to make a salvaged bike streetable again is to prove that it has been completely rebuilt with OEM parts and/or the work has been performed by a qualified shop. Unless you were making a track bike - in which case all it has to do is pass tech (you don't need insurance, registration, state inspection for a track-only bike). But it would suck to drop $1200 on a salvage title and then easily double/triple that into rebuilding it - only to find the state isn't going to let you put it on the road. Either way, you still have a 'salvaged' bike (and good luck selling that again). There should be plenty of road-worthy, non-salvage beater bikes for $1200 out there.

I got T-boned in '09 & the bike was declared a total loss. But I bought the bike back from the ins. co., had the frame measured & then rebuilt it. I never turned in the title, didn't turn off the insurance, and I kept the registration up to date. It took about 18 months (trying to find parts for a 13 year old Italian bike of which they only sent 500 to the States is a real trick) and cost a pretty penny - but I'm back to racking up the miles. I'm wasn't worried about the salvage title, because I don't plan on selling it, but still. However, when it comes to buying someone else's wreck - you're probably going to wind up with the salvage moniker (provided your state recognizes salvages, I guess).
Old 08-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have lots of experience with rebuilding wreaked bikes and it is at best hit and miss as to is it worth it way more to consider then you think think your 4runner/taco ect is expensive what till you find out the triple trees or frame need replacing or maybe your motor has a hair line fractors you cant see till its running and leaking oil so many unseen ways to cost money