Motorcycles Motorcycles of any kind including ATVs

To all your motorcycle owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by olharleyman
I belive the biggest point has been over looked still so here it is

AT 100++ miles per hour NO HELMET WILL SAVE YOU NO MATTER HOW SAFE IT IS

that said all these idiots on them suicide machines need to learn there is a place and a time to ride and act like an ass and on the street is not the time or the place.

I ride between 3-5000 miles a year and understand how to keep my self in check even when some douchbag keeps on taunting me.
JUST MY .02

Sorry to thread jack but, olharleyman is that u on ur bike in ur avatar? cuz thats a massive bike if it is, pretty sweet looking though
Old 06-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Justinvd
Sorry to thread jack but, olharleyman is that u on ur bike in ur avatar? cuz thats a massive bike if it is, pretty sweet looking though
Yeppers thats me on one of my 2 bikes

That one is my 1998 Harley FLHT Classic that I customized to get away from looking like every other bike on the road now everywhere I look people are ripping off my flat black radrod bike look including HARLEY how sad is that?

Just go's to show every original idea no matter how ugly you try to make it get's copied one day or another, nobody want's to have original thoughts of there own anymore I guess.

My other bike is a 1955 HARLEY PANHEAD Customized by me as well getting ready to redo the suicide shift set up on it to match the 3" open belt primary for the more updated late 60's mid 70's look. Kind of a salute to bikers of old with a taste of a more modern custom look

Last edited by olharleyman; 06-24-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by bike4miles
I ride a motorcycle every day and I always wear a helmet and 90% of the time I wear an armor jacket. Learning to ride in trafic was a little hair raising at first and I can see why about 80% of all crashes are durring the fist 1000 miles of riding. I have about 2500 miles under my belt and I am feeling better about my ability to ride safe.

Some people just can't controll themselves on a bike and ride unsafe. In my experience, these people sell the bike before they die or they keep riding and don't reach old age. Mororcycle riding should be taken seriously and you would have to be a nut not to wear a helmet! People do it all the time around here. I just don't get it.
Don't get to comfortable, you'll get bit.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989toy4wd
I disagree with you x-awd. I think it should be the law for adults to wear seatbelts and helmets. Last year my sister was involved in a head on collision on the highway, if she wasnt wearing her seatbelt, then she would have been killed. I mean its not like seatbelts are uncomfortable, I have never been bothered by a seatbelt in any car I have driven!
While I agree that people are stupid if they dont want to wear a seatbelt, the helmet thing is different, its a 50/50 chance the helmet will help you...the other 50...it will kill you, and besides that.....do we really need laws for this stuff? If people wanna be stupid by not wearing saftey gear...let them....when they get into an accident and die, who's problem is that? The way I see it...you weed out all the stupid people...just by not making stupid laws....the more intelligent people will live because they know enough to wear a belt.
My $0.02
Old 06-27-2008, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elton
ride careless on a motorcycle and you will pay for it i see no reason to ride fast and stupid

DRZ 400 SM ?

I ride a DRZ 400 S (Love the dirt to much to go SM)
10 bucks in gas (And that's HIGH OCTANE TO BOOT) and I get close to 300 KM (depending on my driving) You Cant beat that.

I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wear full gear,
I never NEVER NEVER do stupid stuff on the road (Dirt on the other hand is where I turn into a Wheelie machine)

Also I'm 31, So the little boy syndrome has long passed, and you start to think before you act.

RIDE SAFE LIVE LONG

Last edited by 4Hummer; 06-27-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:38 PM

great thread here

a few years ago i owned a nice all original low miles 1980 suzuki GS450L, it couldnt go over about 55mph... but i would never go much more faster than that anyways on a bike, maybe 10mph more.. and i have found that i dont like bigger bikes much.. after test riding a couple different ones..

now my brother on the other hand...
he picked up a yamaha 650 right after i got my bike so we could ride and stuff and well he was crazy on it and went over 100mph a few times or quite a few times

and one evening out here on the street he almost flipped it head first somehow and i think he had a few to drink and ppl were out and around the neighborhodo partying at the time, i missed out on it and didnt find out til the next day

its crazy

not good

he sold his bike and i sold mine unfortunately but i have an '80 XR200 enduro(4 cycle) i am getting ready to put on the street and trails as soon as i find a few more things for it that it needs and cant wait to use as cheap transportation with the sky high fuel prices now

oh and here in IL its legal to ride without a helmet

so next to no one does wear one, but once in a while you see a helmet on a rider

we live in a low population farming community area and rarely hear of a motorcycle accident but there have been some really bad ones over the years regardless and a couple deaths unfortunately but i think virtually all of them have been middle aged riders and due to cars or trucks hitting them, or at least all of the ones ive read in the paper about have been anyways

personally i never took any extra risks or anything else bad while riding and never could or would, i have a hard enough time not being in contorl of a vehicle by being the driver because i hate how others drive and am paranoid and some drivers are insane and drive wayyyyy too fast and carelessly for me to be anywhere remotely near comfortable asa passenger

so most of the time i decline to ride in a vehicle with anyone else driving except me

never been in an accident and i never plan on it either

i will not take any extra risks, if at all possible

screw all that

i have enough "fun" and crazy stuff in this life, dont need anymore haha, i didntmake it to be 30 years old by being crazy, stupid, or by not using my neuron connections in a positive way

good luck and happy safe riding/driving
hopefully i will be riding again remotely soon and saving gobs of cash on fuel costs yay

Last edited by fast68; 07-07-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by 1989toy4wd
I mean its not like seatbelts are uncomfortable, I have never been bothered by a seatbelt in any car I have driven!

+1! I have a few friends that just will not ever wear a seat belt unless they see a cop.. I don't get it and I hate it!
even the ones with newer cars with the annoying beeping they still refuse to wear it...
Old 02-22-2010, 06:32 PM

i Ride a Yamaha Raptor 700. on april 1st 06 i had an extremely bad accident. i rode off a sand dune, which was only about 30 ft tall, going approximatly 80 mph. i landed upside down still seated fully on the quad, taking the entire impact of the quad and myself to the top f my head, AND landed in hard pack dirt to boot. If i didnt have a helmet on i would have died. i ended up braking my neck and back, but hey, im here today because of a helmet. HELMETS SAVE LIVES!!! its stupidfor anyone to not wear one for any reason
Old 02-23-2010, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaking of Riding in the Dunes and Desert. My Dad went to an Off-Road show of some kind in Southern California recently and met the people who started this program http://www.gotdesertid.com/. Looks like a good Idea to me!
Old 05-02-2011, 07:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
first off the two people that wrecked were stupid, Darwin wins, sorry you had to witness it.
second i think helmets rarely save lives. if anything there more likely to break your neck because of the weight of the helmet. or get you broadsided by a car by cutting down your vision. every time you ride you could die just like every time you get in your car if your not willing to take the risk don't ride. let alone the fact that helmets take away from the riding experience. I am in no way saying not to wear your helmet but just stating how i feel about them.

bike4miles don't get too cocky everyone that rides for any amount of time will go down at some point, iv riding basically my entire life. and have gone down twice once when i fist started riding and once early spring last year when a old guy pulled out in front of me and then stopped in the road as soon as he realized he pulled out right in front of me, forced me to lay my bike down. i have easily ridden 50-100k miles in my life. never loose respect for your machine and never forget that other people are idiots.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:39 PM

I have gotta say that I have never ridden a road bike, and it is really unfortunate that you had to witness such a terrible accident...
helmets are a funny thing, when you do go down they help for sure, but while riding they can be quite a hindrance, I've been riding a YZ 250 since i was 12, and needless to say I have gone down a lot... and after the learning curve falls, I was in a few semi-serious accidents all of them because of stupidity, not all of them my stupidity, but every time you go down, i'll be d@mned if you weren't glad you were wearing your helmet!!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by bike4miles
x2

My bike is a 250cc with a top speed of about 75mph which I figured would be a good bike to learn on and keep me from doing anything dumb.
ha! i can do all kinds of dumb stuff on my ex250 (not a dirtbike, it is a streetbike)

Originally Posted by toyotaman11
yep it irks me when i see some jackass doing wheelies on a public rd !!! makes me want to swerve over into their lane just to give them a scare !!! if you want to go 150+ do it on a friggin track !!!!! but then thats natural selection !!! same goes for the dolts that cut lanes in traffic ! makes me want to open my car door on 'em ! if i gotta follow the rules of the road then so should bikers as well !!!
i'll be as nice as possible and say; two wrongs don't make a right. (i have a lot more to say about this matter, but i'll save it for the next person that actually does something stupid like this to me...) would you rather a bike be stuck in traffic, taking up room, or would you rather them get to where they are going, by splitting lanes or whatever, which makes less traffic overall? (plus, what does wheelies, 150 mph, and splitting lanes have in common. nothing. splitting lanes is legal in cali. tons of people can do wheelies that are safe, at the speed limit or under, and completely controlled. 150 on a public road is pretty stupid tho (although i have done it! ha)

the riders originally talked about are idiots. but that is all that i can say... whenever i see anybody not wearing a helmet, i just laugh. and i refuse to ride or have anything to do with them. (because if they are stupid enough to ride without a helmet, they are stupid enough to hit me doing something retarded)

i have been riding for 8 years, and something like 70,000 miles. and i still do stupid ˟˟˟˟, everyday, on public roads. i am not a squid, and it might be public roads, but not around traffic. i always wear a helmet, and motorcycle jeans at the least (i tend to land on my knees)... i have wrecked by myself (learning wheelies, stoppies, etc...) more times than i can count, a dozen times that actually damaged myself or the bike, and only one accident involving another vehicle (it was actually the car's fault). even though i do stupid ˟˟˟˟, i can control my bike. i don't hurt anyone else in my craziness. i know about helmet versus no helmet survival rates. i know i shouldn't ride the way i do. it is my choice tho. and i am not going to stop for any reason, other than quadrapalegia or death (my own. i have had friends die. if/when i die in a motorcycle accident, would i want my friends to stop riding? or riding the way they want to? NO. keep riding!)

Last edited by thewheeliekid; 09-26-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:41 AM

My God given right ....

Hate to hurt anybody’s feelings.... #1 if you don’t ride a bike an never owned a bike, keep your opinions to yourself. ..... Ride to Live !!! Live to Ride !!!!
Old 03-13-2020, 02:08 PM

Received 168 Likes on 131 Posts
9 years later... yeah you give em what for!