Cycling Mountain biking, road biking, any type of pedal powered biking

MTB body armor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MTB body armor?

I'm a noob MTBer and was wondering if anything above the usual helmet, glasses and gloves is recommended? I'll be riding in some mud, roots, rocks and hilly areas, and want to prepare for "involuntary dismounts".

I have gear from inline speedskating days but most of it (except elbow armor) is too bulky for bike use. I'd really like something to protect kneecaps having crashed my former dirtbike enough times to understand eyewatering pain.

Thoughts?
Old 08-09-2009, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shin guard/knee guards are your friend ask me how I know Get a camel back that you can strap stuff on to so you can strap on your armor to your back for the hill climb and then put it on before you go down. Or just wear it the whole time if it doesn't bother you. These are what I wear, I do mostly all mountain/DH trails but XC as well:

You should be able to find 'em for around $60...

But if you're just XC riding mostly, just go with the helmet and gloves route, that's all you'll need.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 89silverpu
But if you're just XC riding mostly, just go with the helmet and gloves route, that's all you'll need.
Is that basically just exploring trails whether single track in the woods or fire roads?
Pretty much what I will be doing.

Picked up a new pair of fingerless gloves a few weeks back.
Fox Racing, Inc.
Reflex Gel Short Finger Gloves

When I use to winter ride my old mountain bike at Alki beach with the kids many years ago, I wore full fingered mountain bike gloves since it was cold out.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Corey
Is that basically just exploring trails whether single track in the woods or fire roads?
Pretty much what I will be doing.

Picked up a new pair of fingerless gloves a few weeks back.
Fox Racing, Inc.
Reflex Gel Short Finger Gloves

When I use to winter ride my old mountain bike at Alki beach with the kids many years ago, I wore full fingered mountain bike gloves since it was cold out.
XC = cross country, it's the most common type of riding for older folks, longer trails and the trails make you work hard. Lots of climbing and not as much downhill as all-mountain and not nearly as technical. I'd say its the most basic type of mountain biking. But don't confuse the word 'basic' with being easy.

So basically as you stated above, types of single track vary, but single track and fire roads and flat land trails would be XC.

Oh and I'd recommend full length finger tip gloves for better protection, but that's just me. I'm not one of those weight weenies or people that have to wear spandex etc.. to ride and FWIW I've been very happy with my Specialized gloves with the body geometry...
Old 01-09-2010, 09:09 PM

ditto on the full fingered. i got a pair of fox racing gloves with some light and flexible plastic type padding on the knuckle and top of the hand. they have really saved my hand from getting whipped by brush.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:12 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I picked up these new knee gaurds by Fox a month back.
They are designed and look a lot like the Six Six Ones you see on riders who race, but these do not slip down.
Fox designed them to now slip.

http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/Auto...@@@125Actuator

Launch Pro Knee Pad

http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/Auto...=29029001F.jpg

Good review here.
http://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Pro...h-Knee-Pads,55

Yes, that is me too in the review area
Old 02-25-2010, 01:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
roach makes nice shin pads.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:47 PM

i no its not body armor but make sure u have tire tubes and tire pump. As for body armor my friends and i just use helmet, gloves, shin guards, knee pads, and occasional elbow pads depending upon the roughness of the trails were running...
Old 02-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Hydration. Lots of hydration. And some more hydration.
I'm a helmet, glasses and gloves kinda gal, but that might explain why my knees look a little like healed-over hamburger.
Preparedness and the right tires for the job, plus a basic set of equipment and the know-how to use them. Proper clothing to cover the changeability weatherwise. Having another person or so along and someone knowing where you went isn't a bad idea either, especially if you are unfamiliar with the territory.

A kitchen sink doesn't hurt, either.