Cycling Mountain biking, road biking, any type of pedal powered biking

Mountain Bike Question/Looking for One

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mountain Bike Question/Looking for One

Ok, so I'm on the lookout for a bike on the cheap to take with me to Santa Cruz for school. I have a racing bike, but I really want a mounting bike (Again - last one got to small, go figure).

I've been checking the paper and CraigsList.com but haven't found one that suits my fancy yet.

I'm really looking for a Specialized Rockhopper that someone doesn't use any more.....

If I can't do that in the next 2 weeks, then I think this may be what I get:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...%3A4183%3A5304

Any thoughts on how bad/good that Mongoose bike might actually be for $99? I've had a Mongoose BMX and it was decent... but I've never heard of the companies that make the components on this one.

THANKS!
Steve

EDIT: I plan on using it mostly offroad to explore the trails and railroad remains in the Santa Cruz Mountains.... There is some interesting stuff our there. I've given myself a budget of $130 to spend on the bike....

Last edited by JoKEpLaYeR; 08-12-2004 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont buy that walk mart piece of poop, mongoose is good but the stuff they send to walmart and kmart and target is the stuff they poop

anyway i have a specialized hardrock that i dont ride but shipping that would be a pain.

anyway just go for a nice used mountain bike and fix it up
Old 08-12-2004, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cacattack
dont buy that walk mart piece of poop, mongoose is good but the stuff they send to walmart and kmart and target is the stuff they poop
Word. Don't buy a discount/department store bike. Even the cheapest bike shop bikes are going to be much better than that, and you'll usually get a lifetime deal on tune ups if you buy from a decent shop.

Also, a bike shop will help you get the right size. It makes all the difference in the world. A bike that is too big or too small will make you sore.

I would steer clear of way cheap full suspension bikes. The higher end ones are good, but if you get a hardtail you'll be able to get more for your money.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

They're that bad? I'll stick to the bike shops then. I've bought from a quality shop for the only other 2 bikes I've owned - well, my parents have.

Is a Specialized Rockhopper a good entry level? Any other suggestions? I'm still going to buy used as I don't want to spend more than a $130 or so..... Where would you be shipping from cacattack? What do you feel your bike is worth?

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2004, 04:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JoKEpLaYeR
They're that bad? I'll stick to the bike shops then. I've bought from a quality shop for the only other 2 bikes I've owned - well, my parents have.

Is a Specialized Rockhopper a good entry level? Any other suggestions? I'm still going to buy used as I don't want to spend more than a $130 or so..... Where would you be shipping from cacattack? What do you feel your bike is worth?

Thanks!
Do a quick search on the forum for bike stuff, I know there are multiple threads like this for getting a new MTB.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:25 AM

Definitely don't go with a department store bike. Buy a quality used bike instead. Check e-bay and some of the bigger bike forums (mtbr.com, ridemonkey.com, etc.) - there are good deals to be had, you've just gotta find them.

Are you 100% set on the Hardrock?
Old 08-13-2004, 07:14 AM
Contributing Member

Any thoughts on how bad/good that Mongoose bike might actually be for $99? I've had a Mongoose BMX and it was decent... but I've never heard of the companies that make the components on this one.
I don't know if the article would be online but dirtrag magazine just did an article on these big-box store bikes. What I took out of it was 1) inspect your bike prior to riding it (especially loose bolts & greasing everything that should be greased) 2) make sure you know how to fit yourself to a bike 3) if you ride off the road, get a bike from a bike-shop.

Having said that, check out bike and outdoor stores for a bulletin board of used equipment (and keep checking the paper). If you can expand your target bike from a rockhopper that'll help. But there are a ton of rockhoppers around so keep looking.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

Several years ago i purchased a full suspension bike from a department store.
I bought a Diamondback X-link.

My first run out i really had a hard time. My shifting was way off and the brakes were crap.
So i took my bike into a shop by my work. Left it there over night.
When i picked it up the next day i asked if i had gotten a lemon. The owner of the bike shop said i had an ok bike but the department store had put it together wrong. I guess the shifing cable was actually the wrong cable. apperently it had too small of a cable and the shifter stretched it out on my first run. After he put a new cable in the shifter and brakes i couldn't beleive the difference.
The great thing was when i finished riding around in the bike shops parking lot i went in to pay. The owner looked at me funny and asked "pay for what?"
He told me to go out and have some fun but to come back if i need to purchase anything. I walked out with disbelief.
So the next week i went back and purchased and new helmet, hydration pack, gloves, tools etc.
So like it was mentioned by others, go to a local shop and let them set you up.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:34 AM

I'll sell you my Specialized Rockhopper Pro Comp for $500.00
Old 08-13-2004, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

I just found a 2000 Specialized Hardrock that need new cranks and a bottom bracket. What kind of riding/problem would cause that? I offered him $90 for it. The front fork is a Judy Rock Shocks.

Last edited by JoKEpLaYeR; 08-13-2004 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:50 AM

Lots of weight slamming down on the cranks will strip-em.

Like a free fall from 5'
Old 08-13-2004, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

So with new parts it would be ride-able assuming the housing isn't cracked? How often does that happen? Ever?
Old 08-13-2004, 11:09 AM

Should be alright as long as nothing is bent, Might want to call around and price new cranks. They might set you back between $100-$200 bucks.

This bike new was probobly around $300 so you might be better off just getting a new one.

If you do fix it your should'nt worry about it happening to you unless your going to do some hardcore offroading.

Last edited by grams72; 08-13-2004 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

True, a new one MSRP's for $330. I just don't have the extra $$$ to spend in one lump sum like that. I gotta spread it out paycheck to paycheck. So $90 now, another $100 next month and I'm set.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:42 AM

True, a new one MSRP's for $330. I just don't have the extra $$$ to spend in one lump sum like that. I gotta spread it out paycheck to paycheck. So $90 now, another $100 next month and I'm set.

Go for it.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:06 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by cacattack
I have to agree with this statement Fully!

I had bought a Huffy and thought that it was an OK bike until I took it to the Oshman's over by my apartment and the bike tech went over the weak points of the huffy compared to his cheapest bike. I ended up taking the Huffy back and buying an Ironhorse Maverick, and for the riding that I do it has been one heck of an investment. My best friend had went and got a bike from Wal-mart and in the middle of riding around Houston, the bike crank fell off. :pat: . He ended up walking the bike back home (about 3.5 miles). I only put out $150 on it seeing that it dosen't have suspension forks, but the 04-'05 models do. Haven't priced them though.

SO I say go with a low end shop bike versus walmart, target, or any place like that. :pat:

Last edited by Outkast`; 08-13-2004 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

The more I read the more I wish I had the $$$ to buy a decent bike at a bike shop. I'll see if I can talk my parents into helping out. Thanks for the feedback!!!
Old 08-13-2004, 01:26 PM
DSP

The more I read the more I wish I had the $$$ to buy a decent bike at a bike shop. I'll see if I can talk my parents into helping out. Thanks for the feedback!!!
Living in a mtn town the only advice i have for you is this...

wait.

i know you want something now to take with you, but chances are you will have a much better time finding a deal out there on used equipment. Los Gatos alone should have plenty of selection in the paper on used yuppie equipment that someone will get rid of cheap...

example: last yr i bought an s-works specialized hard tail with long travel SID and full XT components for $450. the frame alone is worth over 1000, and the shock is 250. save the 90 bucks, save up another 250 from now until then and get yourself a sweet a** bike when you get to santa cruz...

just my .02

dsp

Last edited by DSP; 08-13-2004 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

Very true, good advice. I think I will wait. I know of a bunch of bike shops there and they are hard to come by up here.

Thanks!
Steve