Cycling Mountain biking, road biking, any type of pedal powered biking

Mountain bike pedals: platform verses clipless

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 07:58 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Mountain bike pedals: platform verses clipless

Been reading a good thread on shoes for platform pedals.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=552287

Seems quite a few have switched from clipless pedals back to a regular platform pedal.
Many use these sticky shoes from 5.10.

The soles on them are very sticky, and some state that they are as good as being clipped in.

For those of you who ride a lot of single track/fireroads, which do you prefer?

This is my first bike going with the clipless pedals.
I do have the Shimano M324s though that have a regular platform on the opposite side of the clip which makes it nice if you need to negotiate something and do not want to be clipped in.

5.10 makes a few different ones for mountain biking, but it seems the Impact is the more popular one.
http://www.sicklines.com/reviews/fiveten_impact2low/
If you need traction, the 5.10 Stealth rubber is hard to beat. The rubber adheres really really well to pedals and if you’re used to clipless pedals, this will make the transfer to flat pedals a lot easier. Repositioning your feet can be a bit impossible at times, especially if you’ve got some good pedals. The Impact Low shoe feels good while on the bike and off it. The shoe fits around your feet quite snugly but do run a bit fat similar to a skate shoe.

I may try a pair to see how I like them.
Being clipped in to my bike is very strange to me having never used them until a few months ago when I got my bike.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That seems like a good setup if you just can't get used to being clipped in, but it still doesn't allow you to pull up on the pedal while going uphill/over tree roots or rocks. The pulling up motion is almost as important in terms of pedaling power as is the down motion. It took me a while to get used to the clipless pedals, but it is definitely worth it once you do, IMHO.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:29 AM

its def what you can get used to. i raced BMX with clips but i cant mtn bike with clips. if its single track and fire roads i can see clips being no problem tho. id actually like to try those sticky shoes myself tho.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Clipless. I've got one of the bikes set up with platforms, for me clipless has so much more pedaling efficiency and I much prefer them. Don't have those sticky shoes, though. How would those keep working in dust and dirt anyway?
Old 09-13-2009, 07:37 PM

Platforms. I run the large BMX style ones and they're great for balance... until they come up and whack your shin

How about baskets? A lot of people prefer them on the the trail since you can still use a regular shoe when you need to get off and walk/carry your bike. Not that I prefer them over clips, but it's another option out there.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:48 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I had the baskets on my old bike and did not like how you have to flip them around.
I also tried the Power Grips back in the early 90s.
http://powergrips.mrpbike.com/

They were better for me than the cages, but still they hang upside down until you flip the pedal over.

From reading up what Chipmunk said in that thread in post #43 over on MTBR, he says the shoes are very sticky.
Some find them that they stick to the pedals as if you were clipped in, and you can not move your feet around.

That stealth rubber the soles are made out of is the same stuff for the rock climbers.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i still like my ritchey clipless pedals that i've had for 10 years. yes it makes for a few pucker moments at times, but i have to say the thought of having to wear shin guards to stop my shins from looking like they met the cheese grater isn't too appealing. i think on single track, as with anything, the more you ride the more confident you become. i just set mine to the lighest clip/spring setting so it doesn't take a lot to twist out of them quickly in case a quick dab or bail is in order!
Old 10-22-2009, 03:08 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I am making the switch, I really tried to like clipless.
Having never had clipless before until I put the Shimano M324s on my new bike and got the Specialized shoes here are my thoughts:
* Great for around the neighborhood on asphalt.
* Not great (for me) off road on single track/fire roads.

I like to be able to lift my foot off the pedal to help balance myself on a tight turn or if there are a lot of roots on the trail like where I go.

I have been watching a lot of mountain bike racing on TV and observing other vids on line, and it seems a lot are using the Five Ten shoes and flat pedal with the studs.

I ended up ordering the Straitline pedals that skidad bought in that thrad on MTBR.
http://www.straitlinecomponents.com/products/pedals.php
I got them from Universal Bikes, and they should be here Friday.
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=17079
I got them a little cheaper than what they list on their site as they have a price matching thing for online ordering.

I talked with the owner of Straitline up in British Columbia, and he said the studs are sharp as he had just cut himself the week before while riding.
Skidad had changed out his six sided grip studs for some less aggressive ones, but I will try the stock studs first.

Not sure which Five ten shoe I will go with yet.
Looking at the Impact 2 and the Sam Hill models.
Both have the same Stealth Rubber grip sole, just a different look to the shoe.

FiveTen Men's Sam Hill 2 Bike Shoe

FiveTen Men's Impact 2 Low Bike Shoe

I think making the switch will help me get more aggressive too, as in the back of my mind I am a little paranoid about being clipped in and having a bad crash and not getting unclipped in time.
Body is getting older, I do not recover as easily from accidents as when I was younger.

Some good vids on the pedals.
http://straitline.blogspot.com/2008/...xcellence.html

Tearing them down is pretty easy too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tPnV...layer_embedded
Old 10-22-2009, 06:31 AM

Clipless for XC and platforms for DH
Old 10-22-2009, 08:33 AM

sam hill.. arguably the fastest man on two wheels has always raced downhill with flattys.. clipless+fall+getting used to them= broken ankle..

i have those 5.ten's and they are too grippy for my pedals.. i have a set of these twenty6's that i use for racing .. super light at 256g with a Ti spindle..

and a set of PointOneRacing podiums for playing sitting around 310g with aluminum pins they are thinner than a dime!

Old 10-22-2009, 08:34 AM

any other bikers on here think that we need a little nitch in the forum so were not always having to search for the threads?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:48 AM

I raced BMX with true clips for years and then raced Downhill for Colorado State for 3 years with DX plats, love them. You can really control the bike but if you blow a clip you can still power through and not shatter your shin slipping a pedal.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Crawlerado
I raced BMX with true clips for years and then raced Downhill for Colorado State for 3 years with DX plats, love them. You can really control the bike but if you blow a clip you can still power through and not shatter your shin slipping a pedal.

Yeah I have a set of those DX's also for the DH bike but I still like the flats better
Old 10-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Just got a reply back from the owner who makes the pedals I bought.
He uses DC skate shoes, as he feels the Five Tens are a little to grippy too like mentioned here.

I will probably still order the Sam Hills though to try them out.

Those PointOneRacing pedals are very thin.
Not sure of the specs on the ones I am getting.

I watched another of his vids on his site, and I am pretty impressed with how easy it is to tear them down to rebuild them with common tools, a rock even to work on them.

Yeah, about the broken ankle thing, that is what has me worried about being clipped in.
Mine are adjusted loose now, but you still need to turn the foot sideways to unlock.
I will just feel safer not being clipped in.

Having rode bikes most of my life without clipless, I did fine, and my last mountain bike did fine too with just plain pedals, then later the Power Grip straps I added.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:21 AM

I always just use toe-baskets and old (worn-out) jogging shoes.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have always climbed in 5.10 shoes...

if you were out the rubber on the shoes you can get them resoled..
Old 10-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I ordered the Five Ten Sam Hill 2's today too, both should be here tomorrow.

A few reviews on these pedals.
They are truly over engineered.
CNC machined, anodized, ect...

From 2008 I think, the new ones I got have changed a bit.
http://www.sicklines.com/reviews/straitline_pedals/
Review above is very complete, long and lots of pics.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...t/pedals-16838

Old 10-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

No rain today, took the opportunity to remove the Shimano M324 clipless/platform pedals for the Straitline platforms.

Nice having a stand to work with, makes it a lot easier to do work like this.
The old pedals have a 6 mm opening on the back of the shank, so I tired using my Park 6 mm allan tool, but the pedals were on to tight.
I broke out the big Park 15 mm pedal wrench and it broke the pedal free with hardly a problem.
Somehow I managed to drag my right forearm over something sharp though when putting on the new pedal.
Maybe one of the studs on the pedal.
Nice 3" long cut that looks like a cat scratched me good.

I used Finish Line Teflon grease that I bought from my LBS yesterweek.
Put a small dab on my index finger and ran it around the threads on both of the pedals.
The night before I used my new Park torque wrench to tighten the studs into the pedals at the recommended 3.5 nm.

Just got back from a ride wearing the new Five Ten Sam Hill bike shoes, and here is my thoughts on them.
1. Should have gone this way in the beginning instead of going clipless.
I have a lot more confidence when riding not being locked in.
2. The pins/studs on the Straitline pedals stick to the new Five Ten Sam Hill 2 shoes like glue.
I have read that some really have to lift up on their feet to release from the pedals, and they are right.
This is a very sticky combo that holds your foot to the pedal.

I did not have a chance to run any trails today, just local neighborhood riding, but my feet stayed firmly planted.
When we get a weekend of some good weather I am heading to Black Diamond to ride the Lake Sayer single track trails to see how this combo works.

I do not think I would switch back to clipless again anytime soon unless I was riding asphalt all the time.

Here are a few pictures from installing the new pedals.

Removing the Shimano M324 pedals.

Putting the grease on the shaft
Note how much bigger these new pedals are over the Shimanos.

New pedal being put on

Grease, does a bike good

Pedals all on ready for a test ride

Links:
Strailine pedals
Straitlines video page on maintenance of the pedals
Five Ten Sam Hill 2 bike shoes via Amazon
Finish Line Teflon grease
Old 10-24-2009, 03:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TubedYota
Clipless for XC and platforms for DH
Truth.

On my xc bike I ride clipless for more torque on uphills, better bunnyhops for clearing rocks and logs.

On my freeride bike I use platforms. Less pedaling efficiency, but when you're doing stupid stuff like riding skinny logs or ramps, the ability to eject and land on one's feet helps prevent injuries.