Cycling Mountain biking, road biking, any type of pedal powered biking

Ever meet anyone on the trail (Mountain Bike Trail) who just ruined your day?

Old 05-23-2010, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever meet anyone on the trail (Mountain Bike Trail) who just ruined your day?

Today me and my buddies went for a ride at one of our local trails. When we got to the trail head my buddy forgot something and ran back to the car to get it while we waited at the trail head. Another biker rides up behind us and my buddy didnt see or hear him coming up. My buddy was in the middle of the trail as i see this random guy trying to keep his balance because he had clipless pedals. I start to tell my buddy that there was someone behind him, and halfway through my sentence this guy just starts yelling at him and cursing a storm up. I realize that this guy was clipped in and we were in the middle of the trail but this guy never said excuse me or anything before he just blew up on us. This just really ruined my ride today, and i couldnt believe this guy. Please tell me if this guy was being rediculous or am i just looking at this wrong.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:21 PM

sounds like the other guy was being a jerk.... when I see someone in the trail I shout excuse me, and when someones in my way on the road I yell loud bell noises at them
Old 05-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
So long as you're trying to be considerate you've got to let it go. I made some chick mad at me a bunch of years ago when I rode past her on a wide downhill whoopdee section and still feel bad about it. Urgh! I could see she was nervous and riding slowly but since there was a ton of room I let her know I was passing and did. Boy, did she ever let me have it! Guess she wasn't expecting someone pass her at near 30 miles per hour and several feet off the ground?

However does one 'yell loud bell noises'?

Last edited by habanero; 05-24-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:40 PM

Brrrriinnngggg bbbbrrrrrrrrrriiiinnng
Old 05-24-2010, 06:32 PM

We were just going along trails, turned off on one that said "road is not maintained drive at your own risk" and had stopped in nowhere's middle, when ma and pa Kettle came up, hands on hips, yelling that we were on private property and had to turn around. My friend had been through that road the week before and knew it went through to our public destination, and there were no signs about property, public or private! Montana law states you can be on it unless it's actually marked as private. So, knowing Bonnie and Clyde were full of it, still they were trying to get our plates (which were mostly covered in mud) and I backed outta there, not showing them my clean back plate lol
We did not put up a fight but that put a serious damper on our mudding trip.

Um, that wasn't cycling though. But it's still a story. This post can be deleted.

Last edited by Tacomolas99; 06-01-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hab, 30 mph a few feet off the ground? I have a lot to learn, like maybe don't even try it since I'm still healing a sprained wrist after my last endo.

I ran into a couple who were blocking the narrow entrance to a trail yesterday. There were three large posts separating traffic with a long, deep puddle on my side. They wouldn't budge as I approached at fairly high speed and left me no choice but to enter the puddle. My tires shoot quite a bit of side spray that unfortunately got their nice bikes and pretty lycra muddy. I don't know what they were thinking, maybe that I'd dismount and walk across to their side? C'mon, folks, use some common sense. I heard a few coarse words directed my way but didn't sweat it.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:58 AM

Self Fail. I didn't notice until just now that this thread is in the "Cycling" section.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:25 AM

Drove out on the beach to fish,me and my lab jesse,a dog that could not hurt a flea,but a goose a different story.Threw in a line,at the edge of the water,and Jesse was sitting next to me watching the water when a real nice jerk of a park ranger,decided to give me a ticket for not having my dog under control.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:31 AM

I do have to say, no matter how bad of a day I was having. If someone rode up behind me making bell sounds with their mouth, I would probably wreck hardcore from laughing so hard. that would absolutely make my day!
Old 06-01-2010, 11:36 AM

People who think they need to be drinking the whole time they are on the trails. Then they get stuck doing somthing really stupid or breaking and blocking the trail for doing somthing stupid. That wrecks it for me. I have seen some nice rigs get messed up by retards getting drunk while they are wheeling. I dont get it.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I changed your thread title, as it seems you are getting responses for rigs, not mountain bikes.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BT17R
Hab, 30 miles per hour a few feet off the ground? I have a lot to learn, like maybe don't even try it since I'm still healing a sprained wrist after my last endo.
I said it was a bunch of years ago, and there were really nice whoopdees that sent you high, though not as high as Nantahala-Tsali's north loop IIRC or Chadwick. I ride with much less abandon these days. My best downhill dirt speed is 42mph at Vail down Fred's lunchbox on my hardtail Trek with nothing but a stem upgrade. 12 years ago. Good times. Now I ride like a grandma.

I've cracked a few ribs, my neck bones curve backwards and I've broken my collarbone twice (and in two pieces it remains-it broke in three that last time and I wouldn't stop racing so it didn't heal so well) but haven't sprained anything somehow. Hope you feel better soon!
Old 06-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, I'm fine. The doc thought I'd broken a small bone everyone usually does but luckily x-ray was negative. It's a little awkward riding with a wrist brace but not for much longer.

I went to a semi-pro MTB event a couple weekends ago. That was an eye opener. I watched a root and rock filled technical section that seemed like it would be a problem but the better riders flew through it like it was routine. It was inspiring, I'm checking into participating especially if they have a Grand Masters class or something!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BT17R
Thanks, I'm fine. The doc thought I'd broken a small bone everyone usually does but luckily x-ray was negative. It's a little awkward riding with a wrist brace but not for much longer.

I went to a semi-pro MTB event a couple weekends ago. That was an eye opener. I watched a root and rock filled technical section that seemed like it would be a problem but the better riders flew through it like it was routine. It was inspiring, I'm checking into participating especially if they have a Grand Masters class or something!
The faster you go the more you can float over stuff. It is amazing to watch people with speed and the skills to match, wheels only touching off here and there, bodies barely moving, smooth, flowing. Inspiring is a very good word for it.
Take care of that wrist!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:23 AM

Had a good experience that contradicts the OP, but still a good story:

Up on Mt. Tam this weekend and ran into a guy struggling with a flat. I gave him my spare, helped him out, and we chatted for a bit. He said he owned a Restaurant in San Diego called Lou & Mickey's (anyone around there heard of it?) and said to come in whenever I'm down and he'd buy me dinner.

Last edited by okie81; 07-19-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:34 PM

This isn't me, but I think this would take the cake as far as a bad (or hilarious, depending on how you look at it) encounter out on the trails...

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/159119/