Cycling Mountain biking, road biking, any type of pedal powered biking

Beginner mountain bike choices...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beginner mountain bike choices...

I know there's a bunch of mountain bikers on this board so I figured I'd ask for some help. I'm new to biking and wanted to take advantage of the local trails near the house for exercise. I've searched forums, read reviews, etc and want to buy one of the following bikes (I didn't want to spend more than $300). I plan on taking some test rides this weekend but wanted to get experienced opinions....

1. Trek 3500
2. Jamis Ranger SX
3. Giant Boulder

Of those three, which would you recommend and why?
Old 08-19-2005, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

All 3 are fine bikes. COmponents are close - not much difference. I'd suggest riding them around the parking lot as much as you can and picking which is more comfortable. (even though they will "size" you to a bike - they're all slightly different and will feel different).

I may opt for the trek over the others due to the rigid fork. But I like sturdiness.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

Ditto above (except I'm a fan of suspension... ). All these bikes you can upgrade if you so desire. Definitely take a ride on each if you can. A medium in one brand may not be a medium in another...
Old 08-19-2005, 11:50 AM

Are all of those under $300? I've been wanting to get a bike, without spending a lot, but haven't decided on a road or mountain bike... Do any of you guys ride your mtn bikes on the road at all?
Old 08-19-2005, 12:04 PM
Contributing Member

I've ridden my KHS 304 as a commute bike when it was cooler around here, and other than being heavier and slower, (of course, it could have been me... ) it was fine. I don't have a road bike anymore, but the KHS gets the job done. Plus, if I want to do a little "urban assault" while I'm on my way to the church or back home... I can!
Old 08-19-2005, 12:17 PM

Good call on the urban assault Any other recommendations for good+cheap bikes CJ? I've been thinking of looking at some used ones...
Old 08-19-2005, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

Try ebay.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Try ebay.

Worked for my mountainboards... I actually got my bike on a closeout from Jensen's. Tax, license, out the door it was a little under $500. That was for a f/s with 4" front and rear, with a fairly decent component specs list. The guys at Jensens are awesome, and they are a real store, not just a, "internet warehouse". Anytime I have ever called them with a question, they always been super helpful, and I even gave one of the guys there a heads-up on a good trail out here. So, anyway, it was a great deal, and I was able to upgrade as I went... If you can save the money and get a good bike, you'll be happier...
Old 08-19-2005, 12:46 PM

Under $500 sounds good. Man, saving for a ring is killing me...there's too much fun stuff I want to buy

p.s. It cracks me up that you're on MySpace Resist the addiction!
Old 08-19-2005, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Randomness
p.s. It cracks me up that you're on MySpace Resist the addiction!

I KNOW! I originally got on there for a band whom I'm friends with, they killed their page, and now I'm on there cause a lot of the youth are on there and it's fun to chat with them. Plus I reconnected with a few friends from H.S. who I haven't seen in a decade. Some of them went very different directions than I did.... Anyway, I'm not addicted, I can quit anytime I want!
Old 08-19-2005, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Randomness
Are all of those under $300?
Yup. The Giant and Jamis bikes are actually $239. The Trek is $250. I'll let you know how they turn out this weekend
Old 08-20-2005, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
Anyway, I'm not addicted, I can quit anytime I want!
Sure ya can, buddy... Denial: first sign of addiction I'll bet it is a good way to chat with the young'n's...

trangk...I think you should post some pics of the bikes with that sick 4Runner of yours
Old 08-20-2005, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your looking for a low budget road bike, here's one for ya. I almost bought this one, but opted for something else. http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/CLS-3300-Details.html
Old 08-25-2005, 07:02 AM

While I'm not connected to them in any way
www.bikesdirect.com always seem to have really good deals on pretty good quality bikes. For the most part, all but the highest end bike frames are made overseas by only a handfull of companies. The big names (trek, specialized, giant, and so on) then try to hit the price point with a mix of component specs from different vendors.
The bikes on this website seem to mostly all have a good mix of quality frame materials and mainly shimano components. I would not be "scared" of the name brands, in fact I have owned (and raced for years) several Fuji bike and have a sub 16lb Superlite road bike that is great (purchased at another site).
So these may be out of your price range but they are often a good benchmark for other bikes you (or others) might want to purchase in terms for price and specs.

Good luck!