Cycling Mountain biking, road biking, any type of pedal powered biking

Anyone Mountain bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Mountain bike?

So today i found out about the mile and miles of trails there are up here in chico so my buddy and i went out today to check it out. Turns out a good bike would be really useful and my walmart special shwinn bike isnt really cutting it. I was having trouble with only front suspension, i felt so bad for my friend, his bike doesnt have any suspension. So for those of you that do ride what would you suggest. I would really like a nice cross country type bike with ~5in of travel front a rear along with disc brakes. I dont necesarly need a brand new bike but something would be really nice. Im hoping to get something in the ~600 range.

usually once a year i go up to mammoth and go downhill biking, but i go and rent a top of the line specialized or norco. I loved the norco i was on.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:04 AM

I used to Mtn bike a bit, but I generally like to do whatever I am going to do activity wise from home (except camp,canoe, etc) so I road bike more now. I bought a used Lemond cross bike for $300 two years ago, so I can hit a few trails. I think I would like to mtn bike, but where I live, there aren't many trails. I'd have to travel to actually mtn bike.

For $700-1000, you should be able to get a nice mtn bike, new. Just keep in mind what you will be using it for. XC are lighter, and generally more useful all around. It doesn't sound like you need a monster.

Have fun!
Old 12-13-2008, 05:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love mtn biking! For 400-600 you can get a single-speed steel frame mtn bike fully rigid (no suspension) with 29 inch wheels. These are awesome for beginners and really teach the rider how to navigate trails without the help of suspension and make your legs really strong because you don't have any gears.

I got sucked into the crazy single speed rigid frame cult, BUT most people would be better off on a front suspension/18 - 21 speed bike, i think. 5 Inches is mucho travel, but pretty plush if you are riding downhill style, like at mammoth.

First I would ask around with friends for used bikes, then talk up the guys at the local bike shop(s) to see if their shop has any good deals on new bikes or trade ins. Then once you out grow the capabilities of that bike you will be ready for a new entry to mid-level bike.There are many brands (Trek, Gary Fisher, Giant, are all about the same when it comes to beginner stuff) and IBEX has been getting good reviews lately as well. just my .02!

Abe
Old 12-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

i have a giant rincon s/e that works pretty well for me. still has a bit of squeak in the left fork but nothing that bothers me, it performs well, shifts smoothly. i bought it second hand from a trusted bike shop after i sold my road bike.

man, have the prices of the new ones ever gone up!

lee
Old 12-13-2008, 09:28 AM

Prepare to spend some $$$$!!! I was riding a DB Response Comp. Until I got into the more technical riding. Now, $3,500 later, I'm riding an '08 Gary Fisher Roscoe II and couldn't be more happy with it. For $1,500ish you could get into a Gary Fisher HiFi, 5in F/R (Rockshox Recon 335 F/ Fox RP2 R), discs Avid BB5's(mechanical), Carbon Fiber seat stays, made in the USA!
How much you lookin' to spend?
Old 12-13-2008, 09:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The current model of my bike. I'm riding a 2004, and it's awesome. Living close to the North Shore in BC for mountain biking is like living in Moab for 4x4'ing.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:02 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
yeah i ride to!

my rig
Old 12-14-2008, 05:18 PM

this is a pic of one exactly like mine

its an old school trek Y3 i've had since i was 14. it cost me 800 bucks back then, and i threw mavic rims, michelin tires, yeti grips, and a rack on it.

i'm trying to decide whether to upgrade all the parts or buy a new frame and start afresh.
it needs more travel and better components....but i love that bike!

as for bikes i'd suggest getting one with at least a front suspension fork. u can find good ones in the 700 to 1000 dollar range. i am partial to trek and gary fisher, but there are numerous other brands out there that make great bikes

Last edited by sa51; 12-14-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:29 PM

i work for a bike shop that carries giant and raleigh and diamond back... personally i like giant there the biggest manufacturer in the world right now. i have a reign x which is a 6.7 inch rear 6 inch front and it climbs and dh good.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:34 PM

Something good as for XC.. a used Gary F Sugar would be good... used youll be lucky to find one around 600-800 bones.. E-bay has a lot of good deals if you watch for them. Trek, Specialized, Gary F, etc... Just look into the components though.. what kinda of derailers, crank set, etc... A great frame could have crappy componenets thrown on it so dont always go by the WOW thats a great bike on first impression always read the fine print.. A lot of MTN bikers on ebay will take a great frame and put all their lower end pieces and parts on it to get rid of them... Hope this was of some help.

I like you, am starting to get back into biking and have seen quite a few pretty good deals on good ol ebay. Best of luck.. Just wish there were more trail out here in KY..