Notices
The Classifieds GraveYard Where old classifieds threads go that are too good to let go

Chopped 3rd Gen 4Runner Rockcrawler **$OLD**

Old 03-08-2015, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chopped 3rd Gen 4Runner Rockcrawler **$OLD**

1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5 5 Speed 171k – SAS Chopped Rockcrawler on 36x13.50 Iroks

$9999- Located in Thornton, CO

Name:  IMG_2664.jpg
Views: 5381
Size:  135.2 KB
Name:  SAM_4140_zpsygwcrxqh.jpg
Views: 8084
Size:  43.5 KB
1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5 – SAS Rockcrawler/Mudder

I purchased this vehicle in 2002 and have been slowly modifying it since. I did the solid axle swap in 2005 and chopped it a few years later. I have spent countless hours working on it over the past 13 years and it is going to be extremely hard to get rid of, but priorities in my life have changed and I haven’t been driving it much over the past couple of years. I don’t see myself driving it much for a while so it might as well go to somebody who is going to use it for what it was built for.

This 4Runner is one of a kind, not your typical Jeep rockcrawler that can be seen anywhere. Everywhere this rig goes it is a head turner and gets a lot of attention. The engine always starts right away and runs smooth. It has taken on many of the most difficult trails in Colorado with no problem. The leaf sprung suspension has been tuned to allow for extreme articulation with less parts to break than a linked suspension. Hydro assist steering allows the wheels to turn with ease in any situation. Rear body chop allows for all the passenger space of an SUV, but eliminates the possibility of breaking out the rear glass or severe body damage on the back. The rear window is functioning and rolls down about 2/3 of the way. The cage and body protection is one of my favorite features of this rig. It is designed to provide similar protection as a full exocage without the bulky, generic look that many exocages have. Both sides are protected along the fenders from bumper to bumper. I have taken many hits on the side with no body damage. The cage is internalized within the cab with a large cross member behind the rear seats to add support. The cage is them brought out the roof in four locations (no leaks) and is on the outside of the roof providing protection in case of flops and rollovers. I have flopped this rig and landed on the cage, it held its form perfectly with no damage, except a few small dings in the tube. I have always driven this rig to the trail, but it is built as a trail rig. It can be driven as a daily driver, but I would strongly suggest different tires, the Irok bias plys on it are not the most steetworthy tires.

Specs:

Front Axle

4.88 Waggy Dana 44

- Aussie Locker

- Alloy USA Cromoly Shafts

- PSC Hydro Assist Ram with PSC high output pump & high capacity reservoir

- Sky Manufacturing high steer arms

- Brand new premium ball joints

- Brand new steering studs

- Brand new tie rod ends

- Rockcrusher differential cover.

Rear Axle

- 4.88 IFS width Toy Axle

- Toy E-Locker

- FROR Full Floater Kit disk brakes with drive flanges (no e-brake)

- Reinforced differential housing

- E-Locker rock protection.

- Differential breather extension

Drive train

- Stock 3.4L with 171,000 miles & flowmaster muffler

- Dual Cases – Inchworm 4.7 box in front stock 2.28 transfer case (20 forward speeds)

- Transfer case rear mounted with FROR kit

- Square driveshaft for rockcrawling (max speed on square is about 15mph)

Electrical

-Dual battery setup with both batteries in the rear of the vehicle and isolator in the front.

-Batteries set up to run a winch up front and an accessory behind the seat. I was running an air compressor behind the seat air lines,tank,pressure switch, and wiring are still in place

- Transfer case speed sensor added, with 36-37” tires the speedometer is accurate.

- Additional reverse lights mounted on the tire carrier and 2 additional lights on front bumper.

- CD player and CB Radio – antenna broken.

- Viper car alarm

Suspension

- Front is leaf sprung Rancho 44044/ Waggy pack Hybrid with 12” Bilstein shocks.

- Rear leaf sprung with Chevy 63” springs and vertically mounted 14” Bilstein shocks.

Body

- Rear is chopped, which I completed around 6 years ago and has held up fine. The rear window goes down about 2/3 of the way.

- Custom external/internal cage. Roof and rear of the cage is outside of the vehicle the remainder of the cage is inside of the vehicle.

- Tube doors for all 4 doors. All 4 doors also have quick removal hinges similar to a jeep. Just open the door and lift the door and slide the tube door on.

- Custom front and rear tube bumpers, sliders, rear tire carrier which hinges out and up.

- Rear bed has large compartment/storage for tools, parts, etc.

- Interior of the vehicle has been Herculined. Herculiner was done 11 years ago and still holding strong.

Misc.

- 36x13.50x15 Iroks Bias (2) approximately 30% (2) approximately 50% on 15x9 alloy rims.

- 5 Point Harness driver side.

- Optional Snorkel to Inside of Cab

- New windshield

- 500 miles on new clutch

- 500 miles on new radiator

- Passed Colorado Emissions in August

Spare Parts

-Main Leaf for front and rear

-Stock rear axle shafts

-Tie rod ends

-Passenger steering arm

-6 new steering studs and cone washers

-Warn Hub

-Front Brake Line

-Stock power steering pump.

Known Issues.

Leak in front axle seal, small leak on the transfer case. Two of the tires are worn more than the other two because of a balljoint issues that I had but the balljoints and tierod ends have since been replaced. Driver side leaf spring in squeaky when it gets dirty. B-Pillar is slightly tweaked causing a small misalignment of the doors. Tires slightly rub on the leaf springs with the current rims when completely turned.

This is a trail rig so it does have dings, scratches, chips. The doors and the back where it was chopped are a slightly different color white.

I have build and wheeling pics over the past 13 years on my photobucket library.

Link to a lot of photos. The "Sale" library are photos from today.

Jeff Marck's (cubuff4runner) Library | Photobucket

Last edited by cubuff4runner; 03-30-2015 at 06:05 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:31 AM

Updated price and description.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:17 AM

Sold!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2015, 08:29 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Congrats! !