Notices
The Classifieds GraveYard Where old classifieds threads go that are too good to let go

8" 4.3 ring & pinion wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
8" 4.3 ring & pinion wanted

Hi guys, I'm in need for a bit of assistance.... I don't have a Truck (Hilux) or a 4runner (Hilux Surf), but I think this is the most appropriate section to post in because what I have uses essentially the same parts as what I'm about to ask, so please forgive me. I have a 93 Previa which has the 8" ring gear in the 4.3 ratio. The rear end is going out on it and I just dropped it off at the shop today. I tried to do it on my driveway over the weekend and just couldn't pull the axles out even with a 10 pound slide hammer... they're just seized in there... freaking northern cars!
You can see my van here: http://www.teoc.ws/community/topic/2...__1#entry77223

This has a 2nd rear end on it (with probably 180k miles), which is just a junk yard unit as it went out while I was in Toronto and an emergency repair needed to be done. The original one I screwed up after incorrectly setting the pinion gear lash after replacing the seal (that one was getting worn out anyway, so whatever). Anyway, I think I've put 10k miles on it since that emergency replacement and now when I shift between reverse and drive (yes, it's an auto unfortunately) I can hear a clunk in the rear end. I diagnosed this to be in the diff itself and the shop agreed with me that there's a problem. Cruising, accel, decel, there's no noise, so I don't think there's a real issue with the ring & pinion. Since I don't think there's a problem with the ring & pinion, I'm thinking it is some sort of issue with the spider gears. So I bought a 1st generation Altezza LSD from Japan as I found out a couple of years ago that it is a straight swap into the Previa as long as you used series 80 land cruiser side bearings: http://www.f8.dion.ne.jp/~youpapa/estima/torsenLSD/torsenLSD.html.

Now I am worried that there maybe an issue with the ring & pinion and I just want to prepared for the worse in case that is true. I searched various places to see if there's 4.3 8" ring & pinion gear sets available and I couldn't find them. Looked through rock auto, worldpac, just differentials, and the parts stores. Nobody has them. I know the 4.1 gears fit, but that is something I want to avoid in order to keep the same performance and speedometer accuracy. Ordering from Toyota (part number 41201-80004) with discounts cost around $650, so that is hard to swallow.

So first I want to know if any of you guys know where I can find aftermarket 4.3 gears. And forgive me for not searching... I just want to know if these 8" rear ends are common to have problems like these? Van now has 322000km on it, so it is basically 200k miles. This is my family's baby and as you could see in the pics, I've done quite a few things to it. I'm not about to let it go, especially of how tough this thing is just like the Toyota pickups and land cruiser! The Sienna is weak sauce compared to how well the Previa is engineered, so it'll take a lot for me to give up on this van!

Oh, and yes, I'm a big fan of the Toyota trucks. I just think everything else aren't as good except for maybe the Nissan or Mazda (the real ones, not the ranger rebadge) ones. I want an old Toyota pickup or a Tacoma, but there just isn't room for it in my household. Got enough vehicles as it is!

EDIT: made a mistake on the ring gear size... my memory was a bit fuzzy on these diffs (that's what you get for not checking again )... did a part # cross reference search and found that this ring & pinion is the same as what you guys got in the rear end... at least I got that part right!

Last edited by The MAN; 03-07-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:08 PM

sorry guys, I made a mistake... forgive me for the brain fart.... I really have the 8" diff and not the 7.5"

I see on just differentials there's 4.37 ring & pinion... says it's for the 84-85 hilux... the design looks the same as the 4.1 which is showing is for the 86-95 4runner/trucks... they are interchangeable right?

still got my junk diff here... so I'm about to run out to the garage and count the teeth real quick...
Old 03-07-2011, 10:24 PM

ok... counted the teeth... just like the toyota parts catalog says, 43 teeth ring gear, and 10 teeth pinion

10 bolt ring gear of course
Old 03-08-2011, 11:44 AM

called just differentials and they actually have a 4.3 nitro ring & pinion in stock for $214

found a way out at least

thanks for the great help guys

oh and since this thread got moved from the 86-95 forum, can a moderator please correct the thread title to 8" to avoid confusion?