Notices
The Classifieds GraveYard Where old classifieds threads go that are too good to let go

1987 Turbo Runner Stock in MO

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1987 Turbo Runner Stock in MO

Listing for my mom:

1987 Turbo 4Runner
All stock

Power windows, locks, mirrors, auto tranny....

New Camshaft, Idler arm, exh. manifold gaskets....

Pretty sure the turbo is lagging in the boost dept.

Located in Springfield MO... If you have questions or want to know more, lemme know, and i can find out for ya!

$2300

Last edited by colsoncj; 04-18-2006 at 02:42 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

Here’s the full deal on the truck including maintenance, shape, and history:

My mom bought it on 6/18/05 at 194,944 miles with the idea that my little brother would drive it. Well he didn’t care for it, said it was too slow (what Toyota isn’t?), so then my mom started driving it. I drove it and wrote the slowness off to being an automatic, I’m used to my 5spd. She found my little brother another 4Runner that was a naturally aspirated automatic model and it had a lot more pep, so he took that and now drives that. I drove it before he took it and it made me rethink why the turbo 4Runner was slow. I started looking into the turbo and checked the boost pressure, and there really isn’t any there. The truck at the time also had a leaky exhaust manifold gasket, so I swapped new exhaust manifold gaskets, hoping that would solve the turbo problem. Checked the pressure again, and still no boost improvement, so the turbo will need to be rebuilt or swapped for a T-3, which in my opinion is a much better option. T-3’s tend to last longer, are easier to find, and cheaper to maintain down the road. It should be noted that it still runs and drives fine, its just slower than normal.

Here’s a list of all the maintenance that was done to the vehicle since my mother has owned it. All the work was performed either by myself or a close friend of mine who is also a Toyota freak.

New valve cover gasket, camshaft, changed rockers (used a good spare set), brake master cylinder, cv shaft boots, distributer cap, rotor, alignment, changed console for a good one (old one was cracked and worn), paid 212.50 to have R12 recharged and it blows cold, new idler arm, air filter, spark plugs, oil change, exhaust manifold gasket, and other little stuff like broken interior light covers, etc….

As far as options go, it has power windows, but the switches need the contacts cleaned. They will always go up, but not always down. I has a similar problem on a friends 86 4Runner, and a little contact cleaning took care of it. It would have been fixed by now, but I haven’t had the time. It also has power mirrors that work, power locks that work, rear power window (like all of them) that works fine. It has the factory cruise that works, as well as the rear heat (in the console) that works as well. Rear defrost should work, but its never really been checked, the light does light on the switch, so its at least good to the relay. It has a power antenna, but the antenna is broke off, so that might use some tinkering, or a swap. Its also got the SR5 sport buck seats with the adjustments that all work. The digital dash all works and doesn’t have any problems. The only other thing is the cable for the passenger seat that retracts the seat is broke, so you’ll need a new one (the dealership still sells them; I had to get one for my 4Runner).

Interior condition is great for its age. The seats have a few stains, but what 20 yr old cloth truck seat doesn’t. Besides that, everything is complete and in good shape. Exterior, it has some rust above both front fenders and the rear passenger fender. All the rust is shown in the pictures. There’s a dent in the front passenger fender, but its nothing major. There’s also a small dent in the tailgate, you can see it in the pics. Frame is in great shape, nothing to be worried about. I don’t have any pictures, but would gladly take some of the trouble areas (around the spring hangers and the very rear of the frame).

Heres a link to pictures of the truck: http://www.pk-designs.com/temp/cory/

Let me know if there are any more questions, I’d be happy to answer them!

Last edited by colsoncj; 01-05-2006 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Still for sale, looking for offers
Old 02-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

ttt...
Old 02-04-2006, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am supposed to moving to MO in april and would be interested. It is in good shape inside, too bad it has so much rust outside.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

Its in good shape inside.... The thing about the rust, all of it is just on the body panels, it hasnt spread to vitals areas such as the frame or suspension. On the rust on the panels, Some cutout flares would remove almost all the affected areas and remove the eye sore. Give pm me and I can setup a time you can see it and drive it.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by livlian
I am supposed to moving to MO in april and would be interested. It is in good shape inside, too bad it has so much rust outside.
Welcome to Misery-an enthusiatic segment of the rust belt. Whereabouts are you moving to?
Old 02-05-2006, 09:38 PM

Ft Leonard Wood, my wife is in the military. We should be there by May or June.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

Ft. Wood isnt that bad, and about halfway between St. Louis and Springfield, iirc.... im rarely in MO anymore.... school and work has me elsewhere...

BTW truck is still for sale....
Old 02-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

I wish it wasnt so far away.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

well its still for sale, i can take you a crapload of pictures, and a movie of it running and driving if you want.... i just needs to go bye-bye so she can get an ext cab p/u
Old 03-13-2006, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

ttt... anyone?
Old 04-07-2006, 07:21 AM

Hey:

I noticed you also list location in Sallisaw...I am in Fort Smith. I am possibly interested in the truck, is it ever in Sallisaw with you?!? Best way to contact me is Justins311 at hotmail.com

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2006, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

Put a turbo in it, boost is back to normal, everything else is working, truck is up and running good (whole lot faster now), and still for sale.....
Old 04-15-2006, 06:09 PM

damn pics to Sonofmayhem@aol.com
Old 04-17-2006, 05:16 PM

Did you put a T-3 in it? And did you post a thread on the turbo install I'd like to read it I have been thinking about putting a T-3 in mine.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be interested if you weren't so far away, and if it didn't have a digital dash. Damn I hate those things.

It is a nice looking truck, and the rust is easily fixable with a good dremel saw.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Naw, its got a CT-20 in it... I had a good one layin around.

Thanks for the compliments on the truck!
Old 04-17-2006, 07:13 PM

Thats funny your mom told me she bought a new one and paid 2700 to have everything done? thats the only reason i aint getting it because the price jump.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:26 AM
Contributing Member

oh really? hmmmm.... No, it wasnt a brand new turbo, but it was a good turbo. I know she didnt pay 2700 for it, cause i gave it to her, but I do know shes got 2700 in reciepts for the truck for various other parts that have been changed out on the truck.... (brake M/C, idler arm, etc....)

And the price jump should be from 2100 before the turbo was fixed to 2300 now, or at least thats what I told her to ask for it. The 200 dollar difference is only becuase it now has a working turbo in it, plus I also adjusted the TPS, idle stop and cleaned the throttle body (found out it had a CEL for TPS). It is her truck, so I suppose it's ultimately up to her, but I can talk to her, and I dont think 200 is bad for getting a good turbo installed.

Sorry bout the price change mayhem, I didnt realize there was even a price in the post, I fixed it to reflect the 2300.... sorry bout that man. :pat:

Last edited by colsoncj; 04-18-2006 at 02:55 AM.

Quick Reply: 1987 Turbo Runner Stock in MO