Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Tires: BFG, Yoko or Kumho

Old 02-11-2004, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires: BFG, Yoko or Kumho

I'm a car guy first off and know that Kumho makes some good street tires. Lots of Road Racers are using them. That is where my curiousity of the Kumhos came in.

I have lots of friends that sware by the BFG A/T and M/T. I've heard alot on here about the Yokohama Geolander A/T + 2. I haven't heard anything about the Kumho M/T other than what I read on Tire Rack. I'm kind of weary listening to people on there because you have no idea really what kind of driving that they do. I tend to trust loyal Toyota owners for some reason.

Now, my question is....has anyone used any or possibly all of these tires? Can you give me feedback? I know I'll have lots of feedback for the BFGs and Yokos, but does anyone have experience or know someone that has experience with the Kumho M/Ts??

Thanks,

-Dan
Old 02-11-2004, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No experience with the yokos or the kumhos, but I have the BFG A/T KOs on my truck. For the money, they are a great tire. As far as I know, the are second in the all-terrain tire category. Bridgestone Dueler Revo is #1, but they're a lot more expensive.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

I have the Yoks and no complaints here;I've had 'em off road several times and they seem to handle the abuse nicely. On the street they aren't noisy but they do still sport an off road look to them.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yokohama's, great tire. had it off road many times, in pinches, in water it holds true to the ground, in mud and slick surface's it had great traction, however i do find them noisy, but it doesnt bother me..
Old 02-11-2004, 09:37 AM

Bridgestone deuller A/T Revo
do a search, best tire I ever had, low noise, great offroad traction, great onroad traction.

Highest rated tire on tirerack.com.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ruizs

Highest rated tire on tirerack.com.
I'd like to see actual independant test results not people's opinons and that's what those ratings are. While I have Yoks I do consider the Revo a bit better of a tire in the off road department.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:45 AM
Banned

Don't forget the Nitto Terra Grappler. I got a set a few months ago and couldn't be happier.

Old 02-11-2004, 10:40 AM
Banned

Very Happy Yoko guy here and enjoyed spending the extra cash I saved on other things. I couldn't be more impressed with a wet (I live in houston, mind you) traction tire, as well. I haven't been able to get them too off road yet, but they are great for everyday driving. Others will contest for their off road abilities, I am sure...
Old 02-11-2004, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by bamachem
Don't forget the Nitto Terra Grappler. I got a set a few months ago and couldn't be happier.

Great tire but I don't think those have a mileage warranty and if your Runner is a daily driver that would be a issue.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by X-AWDriver
Great tire but I don't think those have a mileage warranty and if your Runner is a daily driver that would be a issue.
The Nittos don't have a mileage warranty. Bummer deal.

They also have one of the smallest tread depths for the tire size. The Yoko's have one of the largest tread depths for the tire, and they are cheaper, plus you can get a 315/75R16 in a load range "C", bonus for SUV owners who want to go to a bigger tire, with out the harsh ride of a "D" range.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:27 PM
Banned

They don't have a warranty - per se - but they do have a treadwear rating of 500.

Nitto Terra Grapplers-
Treadwear: 500
Traction: A
Temperature: B

Yokohama Geolander AT+ II -
Treadwear: 360
Traction: B
Temperature: B

Last edited by bamachem; 02-11-2004 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

High treadwear numbers = less dry traction.

I'll take the warranty and better around town control since 500 is a very hard tire.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:08 PM

I have some Toyos and I love them . Great traction in the snow .
Old 02-11-2004, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by SizzleChest
No experience with the yokos or the kumhos, but I have the BFG A/T KOs on my truck. For the money, they are a great tire. As far as I know, the are second in the all-terrain tire category. Bridgestone Dueler Revo is #1, but they're a lot more expensive.
According to tirerack the BFG's are more than the Revo's...
Where did you get the BFG's cheaper than Revo's?
Old 02-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by MTL_4runner
According to tirerack the BFG's are more than the Revo's...
Where did you get the BFG's cheaper than Revo's?
Any tire shop around here. I think they're about $155 locally.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:41 PM

Just so I understand, y'all are trying to distinguish between ratings of excellent?

As far as Kuhmo tires go, I am familiar with thier street/car tires. They arn't the absolutely best tire but I would put them soundly in the top 20 percentile. (Said another way, they are better than 80% of their competitors) I see no reason to believe thier truck tires would be any different.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by JohnM
As far as Kuhmo tires go, I am familiar with thier street/car tires. They arn't the absolutely best tire but I would put them soundly in the top 20 percentile. (Said another way, they are better than 80% of their competitors) I see no reason to believe thier truck tires would be any different.
I am not sure how wise that assumption is.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:40 AM

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
I am not sure how wise that assumption is.
He's talking about "Kuhmos".
As far as looks goes, I just don't like the Kumho's design. "KumHO" sounds like an Asian hooker.

If you're getting the Kumhos for your truck, just make sure the white-lettering is on the inside so people don't know they're Kumho.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:41 AM

Re: Tires: BFG, Yoko or Kumho

Originally posted by Dan_90SR5
I'm a car guy first off and know that Kumho makes some good street tires. Lots of Road Racers are using them. That is where my curiousity of the Kumhos came in.

Now, my question is....has anyone used any or possibly all of these tires? Can you give me feedback? I know I'll have lots of feedback for the BFGs and Yokos, but does anyone have experience or know someone that has experience with the Kumho M/Ts??

Thanks,

-Dan
Mine came from the dealer with the 18" Kumho tires. This is my first experience with them, and I have been EXTREMELY happy with their performance. I don't do any offroading, so I can't tell you about that. They do perform very well at high speeds and really grip the road. From looking at other 4runner tires, my Kumho's seem to put more rubber on road. Everyone always compliments the way they look and comment about the cool looking tread design. If you want a close up of them, let me know.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by GATORSR1; 02-12-2004 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:47 AM

I can personally suggest the BFG AT T/A KO's. I actually had mine installed at costco! Good deal there - $115 per tire, but that includes mounting/balancing as well. I have been very impressed with them, and it has made driving in lots of types of conditions very predictable for someone who has never had to deal with driving in, say, snow :-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tires: BFG, Yoko or Kumho