Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Review - Hercules Avalanche Extreme Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Review - Hercules Avalanche Extreme Tires

So I just got baby some new shoes...

Hercules Avalanche Extreme 31x10.5 R15...
(pic to be posted later)
I decided to go with them based on research on truck winter tires and price.

First impressions... these tires have a good deep lug pattern at 15/32 and are rated to handle 2200+lbs each so they are comparable to the BFG ATs they replaced. I was'nt happy with the handling of the ATs on ice and wet roads they broke free and spun too easily...
The hercs have lots of sipes and are studable (fwiw) so they should handle the wet a lot better... supposed to be wet here off and on over the next few days so we'll see...

They seem very grippy on the dry pavement with a softer ride than the ATs gave... road noise up to 60K/40mph is almost unnoticeable not a whine more of a quiet wooshy type noise...

Price was very reasonable at $179/per bal. & inst. +tax

according to reports on a tundra forum from last yr the tires wear very well
a GM truck forum poster from Alta. reports running them yr round for the last 3 yrs with enough left for another winter... we'll see what kind of life they get out of our pot holy roads around here lol.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Contributing Member

**Update**
Had these tires on 6 weeks now no snow yet but has been cold and wet...

Ride is still very smooth, noticing that little hum generally now but it's not annoying, more of a soothing background white noise than anything else, the radio easily overcomes it.
Wet grip is excellent I was able to make them skid once on a very wet road when I had to stop suddenly for an idiot, it stayed straight and stopped a lot faster than I thought it would. Have'nt been able to chirp them on acceleration [not that i try to] something I was able to do easily with the BFG ATs i used to have (actually had to be careful not to chirp them).

Looking forward to see how they handle ice/snow.
More updates to come.

Last edited by aviator; 12-08-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, how's things? I was considering these tires for the 4Runner but that old '94 is soaking up funds like a Shamwow. I've had the Hercules Tera Trac A/Ts on the '94 for four years now and, while not a dedicated winter tire, these are excellent tires in the snow and ice (flexible tread and lots of siping) so there's good reason to believe the Avalanches should far exceed that.

(On a side note, the '94 is finished with winters. The frame, cab and front structure are solid but all four wheel openings are flaking away -- something I hoping the Jungle Fender Flares can fix.)
Old 12-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Mike
Long time no see... you still with PI? IDK if any flares will help once the rot sets in...
New front fenders are pretty cheap from the bodyshop trade supplier in Brampton fwiw...
box/box sides IDK...

Merry Christmas
Paul
Old 12-12-2011, 05:05 AM

Thanks, Paul, you as well. No, PI is ancient history (just more than nine years ago). I think the eight bucks an hour had something to do with it! Its prices are still pretty uncompetitive unless you have a small block Chevy or a Honda. It is still in business somehow.

(Sorry for getting off-topic)

The flares won't fix the rust but I'll cut off what I can and cover them up. I'm looking at big bucks just painting new fenders and the rear wheel openings after I do the repair work. True, fenders are pretty cheap. But box sides are around $250 each from Rock Auto and the bed has to come off for that -- drilling the spot welds, breaking the bond, re-welding, etc. A body shop quoted me $3500 for a new box (and I think that was aftermarket!).

Use southern beds ARE "rust-free" but usually so hammered up that you might as well just work with what you've got already. Does that place in Brampton have patch panels for the rear wheel openings?

Back to tires, have you considered a trip up north or east to test the Avalanches?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

No time for trips these days...
probably be heading up G bay way christmas time so they'll get a snow test then...

patch panels? I think so... Can't remember the name of the place but they are the same peeps all the bodyshops around south ont. use... they usually have this huge catalogue from these guys lying around their office someplace...

I scored a mint "new" box from georgia a few yrs ago for $750 del. here.

Last edited by aviator; 12-12-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:16 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice score, bud!

Pics coming soon? PICS ON THE RIG, of course, is what I mean! lol.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, man
Old 01-07-2012, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

Update

Had these out in light snow {2"} and slush the other day, traction was excellent as was braking and steering response... tried to get the rear to swing out... no soap, would'nt do it... probably could have if I really tried but I was just using "normal" driving methods not "meathead' methods

just waiting for some "real snow" to se how these handle the deep stuff... maybe next week ...
Old 01-07-2012, 10:15 AM

Yeah, that's it, pray for MORE SNOW! lol......... Sure you're not aspiring for "meathead" status? hehehe... I joke, I joke, I kid, I kid! lol.

NICE update to hear... Glad to know you'll be safe out there, bud!

Guess Hercules wasn't a bad name for em, 'eh'?
Old 01-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Contributing Member

hey we need the snow and lots of it... the water table is getting lower and lower... pretty soon the farmers will have to truck in water for the food crops lol...
Old 01-08-2012, 10:41 AM

Well, you could just have them move down to the San Juaquin Valley, CA... OH WAIT, that's right.... the Delta Smelt took priority over 40K farmers/workers... OOOPS< nevermind! lol. Yeah, it's weird, ..... we were 'officially' out of the drought, recently... then just as quickly 'OOPS, it's still here'........... meh. lol.

Wishing LOTS OF WHITE STUFF FOR YA, BUD!
Old 01-08-2012, 04:11 PM

I'm not missing the snow. At all. Glad I put a bunch Sta-bil in the snowthrower. Barrie seems to get lots of snow so that might be a good place to visit.