Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Real trouble getting stock, white wheels for 85?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Real trouble getting stock, white wheels for 85?

The factory wheels from the 85 pickup are really hard to find. I don't remember many people keeping these on their cars in the 80s. Most people I knew replaced stock wheels pretty soon after buying the truck. Where did they all go?

hollander #69192d

I ordered from both Andy's Auto Sport and Stockwheels.com. Completed the order and paid. Minutes later I get an email saying they don't have the wheels after all.

Same thing with car-part.com. The inventory lists the wheels at multiple yards, but when it comes down to it, they don't actually have the wheels listed. One place said they don't sell wheels and that they can't get car-parts.com to stop listing them. To my horror they said they crush all the wheels they get. I did manage to find two reconditioned ones from a yard listed on car-parts.com

I have also been to numerous wheel places in Southern California. No dice.

I am totally stumped, and I am too new to post on the marketplace, so I thought I would ask this as a parts question?

Where do I get this part?
Old 04-17-2016, 12:14 PM

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts
No clue where to get the factory ones but you could get a set of crager v5 or d window wheels that look close to those and paint them white.
http://www.cragarwheel.com/products1...42BlackDWindow
http://www.cragarwheel.com/products1...ries365V5Black
Old 04-17-2016, 10:03 PM

Thanks

Originally Posted by Robert m
No clue where to get the factory ones but you could get a set of crager v5 or d window wheels that look close to those and paint them white.
http://www.cragarwheel.com/products1...42BlackDWindow
http://www.cragarwheel.com/products1...ries365V5Black
Oh there are TONS of chrome ones. Just no factory white ones. I think the factory whites were powder coated, but since the two white wheels I did manage to successfully order actually showed up today and were GRAY, I have now completely given up on finding these factory white wheels. I think I'll just buy a whole set of chrome steelies and paint them white. Powder coating costs a fortune where I live, so any suggestions on the next best thing woud be appreciated.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:32 PM

85 landcruiser wheels on 85 pickup

when I search for "landcruiser wheels" I actually find what look like the exact 1980s spoked steelies I need for my 85 pickup. They're usually chrome (never ever white) but I've accepted white is just not going to happen.

Did wheels that look like this

come in different sizing, back spacing and bolt patterns? I see people listing them as 7'' wide on and/or 16" tall on Craigslist and ebay, but is that just because they aren't measuring to the bead?
Old 04-18-2016, 05:24 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
probably saying 16" because they are 16" wheels.

merged your similar threads together

Last edited by dropzone; 04-18-2016 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone

Do they come in 16" and 15"?

Thanks for merging.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone

Do they come in 16" and 15"?

Thanks for merging.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:24 PM

I've officially called every place that purports to have these wheels on car-part.com. I found out they are all having problems with car-part.com not accurately reflecting inventory.

Does anyone know if stock landcruiser wheels from the 80s were the same size? (15 X 6) and same backspacing as the toyota truck stock wheels?
Old 04-21-2016, 08:39 AM

I just spent two weeks looking for these wheels. I want to share what I learned so as to save the next fool looking for these wheels the trouble.

Ok here's the skinny if you have been looking for steel, stock, spoke Toyota wheels of hollander number 69192 Aka spoked steelies or "wagon wheels" which look like this.

You entered your vin into car-part.com, and you saw pages of these wheels listed by several used parts dealers for as little as $25 each. You got excited and you started calling only to find that it's not what you thought. You noticed some landcruisers shipped with these same wheels, and you see some "landcruiser wheels" for a decent price, but wil they fit? You type into google jsut as you start to type "do 1988 landcruiser stock wheels fit an 85 toyota" you realize you have fallen down the rabbit hole.

Time to get out.

1) Forget looking for them as Toyota pickup wheels. The exact wheel was on the landcruiser, and most listings list them as landcruiser wheels.

2) It is a 15 x 6 wheel, NOT a 16" wheel. It may measure 16, but this wheel only came in 15 x 6.

3) the letter after the hollander number A, B, D refers to the finish. It's the same wheel if the Hollander number is 69192.

4) Forget finding white ones. No one has them. They don't exist. Period.

5) None of the ones listed on car-part.com exist. Other places that had them listed but did not actually stock them were Andy's Auto Sport, Stock Wheels, Original Wheels, and four others I don't remember the exact names of. Many of these stored actually let you go all the way through the checkout process, and buy the wheels only to email you later saying they don't have them.

I ended up buying five chrome ones on ebay for $180 shipped. I am going to get them blasted and powder coated white for $50 each. The grand total is $430.00.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:32 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
unclePat (or anyone else)...If you need any more I was just cleaning out my "crap-shack" and found the old white wheels (5 of them) from my 83. Not sure if the back spacing is the same for an early IFS truck. They're a bit rusty and still have the old rotten Dunlop H78-15's on some of them. Price and shipping, I don't know and you will have to pay for dismounting the old tires...they'll be coming from Ontario, Canada that is!
Old 04-21-2016, 09:42 PM

Thanks Old83@pincher!! Let the record show that a great deal of these old wheels may simply be hiding in private garages across the world.
And I have another update:

Craig Rokes from Cruiser Parts just told me that they make these wheels to order.
Wow. I was not expecting that.

That means they probably have a source used ones, and they paint them and sell them probably at 100% profit. Honestly, after the man hours I lost looking and am about to lose getting these blasted and coated, just buying these from them from the get go looks pretty attractive.

However, I still recommend buying them cheap and dirty and reviving them yourself for the following reasons. First, it will be less costly (in money, not time). Second, you will support local industry. Your powder coated wheels will last longer which is better for the environment, your pocket book as well as your ego as you roll around on eternally pearly stock steelies.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:44 PM

Step 1 completed

They arrived in the mail. A yard out there in the US called Rockitop auto shipped all four for a total of $180. I still have the two grey ones I got from Spaulding. Dropped 5 wheels at a powder coating facility to be sand blasted and powder coated, caps and all, for $250. So in the end after everything That's $72 per wheel.

For comparison, cruiserparts.com will make you "factory white" wheels to order for $226.71 each. The convenience is easily worth it if you can afford it.

BEFORE:

chrome steelies. Aka landcruiser wheels, wagon wheels, steelies

'after' image to come...

Last edited by unclePat; 05-02-2016 at 08:08 AM. Reason: More useful info and clarity