Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

The OFFICIAL IFS "What size tire will fit" thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Size

Will 255/70R16 fit on my 99 4runner limited. Reason I ask is because someone is selling a set of Michelin Latitude X-Ice for $350.

Also, for you guys living in the land of snow, is it even worth getting the X-Ice if I have Firestone Destination A/T. I know they should be able to handle the snow, but will they be able to handle the -40 degree celsius temperature?

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
basically a 30x10.5 should be just fine
Old 09-30-2009, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
basically a 30x10.5 should be just fine
he speaks the truth

um, did you get lost in Antarctica?? -40! holy cow. I've seen some reviews showing they ride smooth and handle well in about 0 degrees. Other than that I do not know. If you cant pass up the deal I would use them for a winter tire and just switch back to your Firestones at the end of season.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:53 PM
ESQ

mmhmm gets cold like that in parts up here
FYI -40C=-40F

I think dedicated snow tires will outperform A/Ts in on-road compact ice if that is the primary use.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:19 PM

Primary use would be city driving in the Edmonton Area. If I take it slow, I know I'll be ok. I may be making a trip or two through the mountains to see my siter in Vancouver though. That's when I'll see a difference.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:18 AM

wats the difference between the regular 4" lift and the stage II, i dunno which one i have i bought the lift kit used off ebay???
Old 10-01-2009, 09:24 AM

and howcome i have to regear so high, wats wrong with the stock gears??
Old 10-01-2009, 09:42 AM

Max Tire Size

I have a stock 94 4runner SR5 with it's standard tires installed..

What is the max tire size that can be installed on her without doing any mod's? 32 / 11.5 ?
Old 10-01-2009, 11:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your gong to bigger tires, without a regear your vehicle will be the dog of dogs...

It will be Slow, to put that in a different set of terms.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stage II comes with more hardware on it in the Front - look on like 4wheelparts.com and copare the kits, or go to procomp's site and compare them, not much difference but the Stg II just has a little more beef
Old 10-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
33x10.50" The width is what kills clearance.

Try searching next time, probibly the most common question asked
Old 10-01-2009, 11:23 AM

I run a 4" pro-comp lift (Not sure what stage, guy didn't say when I bought it). I run 33x12.5R15s. Stock gears, my truck is a dog. I usually have to leave it in 3rd just to go uphills, and passing other cars on the road is a pain in the ass. I need 4.88s...
Old 10-01-2009, 11:52 AM

If you have good treads on the Firestone, I wouldn't worry about it. The extra sipings and the softer compound does work better on snow tires, but up in the mountains, the AT's would actually work better in the deeper snow. I don't have any experience with FS AT's but I had REVO's and they worked well. My current BFG KO's work better, though. If in doubt, just get a pair of chains or cables.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by cackalak han
If you have good treads on the Firestone, I wouldn't worry about it. The extra sipings and the softer compound does work better on snow tires, but up in the mountains, the AT's would actually work better in the deeper snow. I don't have any experience with FS AT's but I had REVO's and they worked well. My current BFG KO's work better, though. If in doubt, just get a pair of chains or cables.

How cold does it get in CO though? My concern is the -40 degree celsius temperature make my tires like a brick. I would imagine that it would be a bit warmer in CO than in Alberta/BC
Old 10-01-2009, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
33x10.50" The width is what kills clearance.

Try searching next time, probibly the most common question asked
She's in gettin new moog springs and new shocks in the rear. The tech said front looks like it was tweeked a bit to fit larger tires. Torsion bar was adjusted... that's what he said does it make sense ?

You ever run 33x10.5 and not adjust any of your suspension?
Old 10-01-2009, 02:43 PM

Geez, you Canadians always think you live in the coldest, snowiest and harshest environments. might be right.

In Utah, we probably see -5 to -20 C in the benches and a bit colder in the mountains. However, I also spend time up in Wyoming with -20 to -50 temps. No problems thus far on AT's. My opinion, once again--stick with good AT's and carry chains/cables. Don't think some snow tires will magically make your truck unstoppable. I found the difference between my KO's and snow tires is marginal. I have tried just about every one of them, too. (Nokian Hakka, Blizzak, Hankook, etc). Chains are a big step ahead of these tires.

Oh, carry recovery gear, too.

Last edited by cackalak han; 10-01-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:08 PM

Hey Canadian Bacon. I spent a couple of winters in Edmonton. You and I both know that when things get really cold and it snows on top of already hard pack or icy roads it is worth having a proper winter tire. Yes the AT will work for the most part, but when you have to stop on the Yellowhead of Whitemud on pure ice you will be glad to have proper winter tires. Also you should check with insurance, I am not sure if it went through, but when I lived there someone was telling me about insurance putting blame on people in accidents that weren't their fault if they didn't have proper winter tires. I am not 100% on that but it is worth looking into.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:11 PM

Cackalak, yes ATs work to a degree but when you are driving in city traffic the big difference is stopping. I have driven on good ATs and winters and have not noticed a huge margin as far as accelerating and cornering but I have noticed a difference in terms of stopping ability and the is what matters in traffic.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:08 PM

Yeah, I do understand the benefits of a true snow tire. I have used it on multiple cars. But I just don't see any more benefit compared to my KO's. I do take precaution and drive slow and ALWAYS slow down way in advance. Knock on wood, but no accidents on snow thus far. And, BTW, although Salt Lake's roads do stay clear most of the time, the roads in Wyoming are much like the conditions you're describing -- snow on top of ice. My KO's have done great.

Also, the additional benefit I get from AT's is that when the snow gets deeper, I am able to get better traction. The AT's aren't great at clearing mud/snow, but it's a whole lot better than snow tires. Just my observation.

Lastly, I don't know if you've used chains/cables, but they trump both AT's and snow tires. It is my opinion that if you have good tires and are prepared with cables/chains, you'll be fine in most instances.

Side note: dannomite - which AT tires are you talking about? Nitto TG's were terrible in snow, in my experience. REVO's were ok. BFG's were the best. They also have the Severe Service winter rating, which is also found on snow tires. FYI, just an extra series of tests on snow qualifies them for this. In some states, like Oregon, won't allow a car to pass unless they're equipped with tires bearing this symbol. BFG KO's have this, along with General AT's and a couple more, I think.

This is what the symbol looks like:

Last edited by cackalak han; 10-01-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ls2camaross
wats the difference between the regular 4" lift and the stage II, i dunno which one i have i bought the lift kit used off ebay???
Stage II comes with Support bars from the tranny x-member to the rear support on the front suspention

Originally Posted by ls2camaross
and howcome i have to regear so high, wats wrong with the stock gears??
What isnt wrong with stock gears and big tires?

Quick Reply: The OFFICIAL IFS "What size tire will fit" thread