Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Nitto Terra Grappler vs Destination A/T - Snow Battle

Old 07-24-2010, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitto Terra Grappler vs Destination A/T - Snow Battle

First off - wanted to thank everybody for playing a role in creating this amazing resource. I'm a new '99 SR5 Highlander owner, and reading through the forum made the decision to buy incredibly easy.

I'll post pics soon, if interested, but first I had a tire dilemma I was hoping you could help me work through:

I'm living in western NY, and the big issue is snow (which is why I bought the 4runner). Right now the tires that came with it are 265/70/16 Continental Conti-SUV. Not bad wear at all, but I'd like something with more bite for the snow/ice roads.

I'm looking at Nitto Terra Grapplers and Firestone Destination A/T's, both in 265/75/16. I searched through the forums and it looks as though Terra Grapplers are well liked, but I was wondering if there was any thoughts in comparison to the Destinations, particularly regarding snow.

If there's a better suggestion, for winter conditions, I'd love to hear it. I was looking at those two in particular because of price (150 each on the car for Destinations, 175 each on the car for Nittos) and I'd prefer to stay around that range.

I'd also love to hear any other winter additions I should consider. I'm looking to build a tank, so any advice is more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had the Nittos and at the price difference you mention I would try the Firestones.

The Nittos were great, and I'll admit I did not keep them rotated enough. But they wore quickly in my mind.

Wet and snow and ice traction were excellent in the Nittos when new. But at 3 years in I was looking around...probably not the best tire at 3/4 wear. Just my opinion.

Also I want to make you aware that you may experience rubbing of the front mudflaps at the 265/75 tire size. If this is not a big deal for you then so be it. But backing up or sharp turns or compression of the front suspension caused me to remove front flaps to run that size. Others report no issue.

Would love to see a pic of the coveted 99 Runner Highlander edition. Be aware that not all 99s have the taller springs- hence the rubbing issue. My 99 for example had the shorter springs originally until I lifted. No issues at all now with the 4crawler.com 1" body lift.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:31 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
i'd say i'm at half... and i really like the terra graplers for snow. Just air down and go even with open diffs. I've gotten a lot farther then anyone else in my group on snow runs running those tires and open diffs.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:10 PM

I would highly recommend doing a lot of research regarding tire tread, the spacing in the voids between tread lugs, siping, etc so that you can tell what what would or would not make a good snow tire. Typically you're going to want something with a lot of siping to aid with snow and ice traction. There are also tires out there (I know that my pro comp mud terrains are) that are pre-drilled for studs, so when winter time comes you can install the studs for the icy junk, and then just remove them when it melts.

The blizzak tires are designed for snowy/icy conditions, though they're not really designed for daily use otherwise. It would be worth seeking out an extra set of wheels on craigslist or something, and get some dedicated snow tires (especially since you live up where it does snow a lot) and then in the spring time, just change back to your continentals
Old 07-25-2010, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by vital22re
i'd say i'm at half... and i really like the terra graplers for snow. Just air down and go even with open diffs. I've gotten a lot farther then anyone else in my group on snow runs running those tires and open diffs.
Its true, I didn't thing he was coming back...

x2 on the siping, get it or go sliding.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:23 AM

Thanks for the replies thus far -

The debate between an A/T and dedicated snow tire is something I've thought about a good deal. The tossup is that the Conti's are not great tires, and I feel as though, if I got snow tires and kept the Conti's for the other seasons, I'd then be up a creek for anything wet or mud related (wasn't just going to go on trail runs in the winter). Wet is a particular concern - it rains a ton in my area, and not just drizzling.

I'm well aware that an A/T is somewhat of a jack of all trades but master of none when it comes to the seasons, but since I can't afford to get both A/Ts and Winters, it seems that the balance of an A/T would be best year round. That's what brought me to A/Ts like the Terra Grappler and Destination A/T. Am I wrong in my thinking?

Regarding siping - It looks as though TGs have some degree of siping already, if I were to go with that tire would you recommend more?

Going back to the debate between tires - part of the problem is that there isn't really a basis for comparison between the tires. On Tirerack it seems as though Destinations are highly rated, but since Nitto isn't sold through that vendor I can't get a comparison. Thus I submit myself to the Lords of Yota.

Thanks again for all the help.

Pic:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by GreenBean4Runner; 07-26-2010 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Photo
Old 07-28-2010, 04:57 PM

Check out the Yokohama Geolander AT/S, killer in the snow, hardly needed 4 wheel drive when I had them on my 2nd gen.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:32 PM

Anybody have any real issues with NTGs in rain? How's wet cornering?
Read somewhere they weren't all that good in mud.
I get a ton of rain, then mud....
Opinions?
Old 08-05-2010, 02:46 PM

I hear nothing bot good things about the nitto tires.. but the Dakota definity M/T tires for $138 each and buy 3 get one free from pep boys was too good of an offer to pass up.

(and by buy 3 get one free they mean after a mail in rebate that took 2 months for my check to arrive)
Old 08-06-2010, 12:44 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
the terra grapplers are an a/t. So not ment for mud. But do well in slick conditions. They do well on wet and dry pavement also. I have yet to hydro plane doin 60 on the hwy driving in washington.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:58 AM

I have the Deatination A/T on my truck. I use it at the beach and hunting on a 550 acre farm.I've had them for three years,and nothing has performed better than the firestones.Last year we had over 20 inches of snow for weeks.I went thru the fields and back and forth home with no problems.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:31 AM

Quick update: After talking to a few people both here and on 4Runner.org I decided to go with the Destination A/Ts. I'll post pics soon...but they look great and fit perfectly as 265/75s. I was able to drive them around in the rain this morning and so far I like them. We'll have to see when winter strikes how they hold up.

For those interested: I went through Firestone because they were priced the same as tirerack (when you add in shipping/installation) and they threw in the extended road hazard warranty and free rotations/balancing/discounted alignment for life. Not too bad. Total was $700 on the truck.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:59 AM

I am going to be getting the Nitto Trail grapplers on my tundra, and they make a great tire.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:39 PM

i have nitto terra grapplers on my 08 tundra and love them. there quit and do good in the rain. no snow down here so can't help you there

Last edited by jason22; 10-06-2010 at 05:50 PM.