See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Lug Nuts for Alloy Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Lug Nuts for Alloy Wheels

Trying to put on 98 alloy wheels on my 94 P/U but I think the lug nuts are different, any pics of what I need to get?
Old 10-22-2013, 11:31 AM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
see if this helps:

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164421
Old 10-22-2013, 06:28 PM

I got the ones with the washer type deal on them, they seen to center in good and keep the wheel flat on the hub surface.

thanx
Old 10-22-2013, 07:02 PM
osv

those are for hub-centric wheels only, which means that the wheel has to be a tight fit over the hub... those lug nuts will not center the wheel relative to the axle, there must be a hub for them to center on.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:23 PM

You can get centering rings that take up the space between a small hub and large hub bore for many cars and aftermarket rims but our hubs are huge already, don't know if such thing are made for our application.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:40 PM

not quite sure what you mean, the wheels all go on and the lug studs all look to be in the center of the lug holes on the wheels.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:01 AM
osv

you didn't read the link that I posted.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:13 PM

There are two ways of centering a rim on the vehicle. Hub centric and lug centric. Hub centric means the hub bore on the rim is the same size as the hub of the vehicle. When the rim is flush against the face of the brake drum/disc, it will be centered, and the lugs should be centered in the lug hole. Lug centric means that the hub bore on the rim is larger than the hub on the vehicle. It uses the lugs to center the rim. This usually means the lug nuts are tapered/conical, as well as the surface on the rim they seat against. You thread the lug nuts on, go around once and snug them up so the rim is flush against the brake face, then you go around and torque them. The action of the lugs seating in the cones "pulls" the rim into "center".

You'll notice that the lug nut seats on your toyota alloy rims are probably flat, not tapered. This means the rim is made to be hub centric. Since the hub size is probably the same, you're fine, the rim is self centering. I mentioned the hub centering rims earlier just for information. When installing aftermarket rims that may not come bored exactly for the hub of the vehicle they're being installed on, obviously said rims are not going to work as hub centric, as the bore is too big. They make plastic rings that go over the hub to take up the space between the smaller hub and the bigger hub bore. The rings are only to center the rim, once you apply clamping force with proper lug nut torque, they should be under no load.

In your case, you might've had steel wheels before, which use a lugnut with a tapered seat (or maybe a ball seat?). You need the mag seat w/washer style lugs. They have a shank that goes through the rim, and a washer under the hex part of the lugnut that clamps the face of the rim. There is no taper to the part that contacts the rim, the only contact should be on the face of the rim. Type "Toyota mag lug nuts" into Google Images and you'll see the type of nut that you need. Hope that helps.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've seen the long alloy wheel lug nuts have a tapered end. Presumably in case you have to use the steel wheeled spare, I'd guess.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by buickid
There are two ways of centering a rim on the vehicle. Hub centric and lug centric. Hub centric means the hub bore on the rim is the same size as the hub of the vehicle. When the rim is flush against the face of the brake drum/disc, it will be centered, and the lugs should be centered in the lug hole. Lug centric means that the hub bore on the rim is larger than the hub on the vehicle. It uses the lugs to center the rim. This usually means the lug nuts are tapered/conical, as well as the surface on the rim they seat against. You thread the lug nuts on, go around once and snug them up so the rim is flush against the brake face, then you go around and torque them. The action of the lugs seating in the cones "pulls" the rim into "center".

You'll notice that the lug nut seats on your toyota alloy rims are probably flat, not tapered. This means the rim is made to be hub centric. Since the hub size is probably the same, you're fine, the rim is self centering. I mentioned the hub centering rims earlier just for information. When installing aftermarket rims that may not come bored exactly for the hub of the vehicle they're being installed on, obviously said rims are not going to work as hub centric, as the bore is too big. They make plastic rings that go over the hub to take up the space between the smaller hub and the bigger hub bore. The rings are only to center the rim, once you apply clamping force with proper lug nut torque, they should be under no load.

In your case, you might've had steel wheels before, which use a lugnut with a tapered seat (or maybe a ball seat?). You need the mag seat w/washer style lugs. They have a shank that goes through the rim, and a washer under the hex part of the lugnut that clamps the face of the rim. There is no taper to the part that contacts the rim, the only contact should be on the face of the rim. Type "Toyota mag lug nuts" into Google Images and you'll see the type of nut that you need. Hope that helps.
I gotcha, I do have what you said and did have the steel wheels before with the cone type nuts. Now I switched once I got the wheels. There is a picture of the wheels I Have in another post in thr 86-95 trucks section.

thanks
Old 10-30-2013, 04:34 PM

Awesome, glad you got it sorted