Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

How do you like your Michelin LTX A/T in the snow/ice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you like your Michelin LTX A/T in the snow/ice?

I am going up to northern BC for a steelhead fishing trip sometime around early to mid November. I anticipate running into some snow for sure, and a little bit of ice potentially. I have relatively new Michelin LTX A/T's on my truck as you can see from my sig. I picked up a set (2 - for the rear tires) of kick ass heavy duty high quality and near new chains recently from a buddy. I'm not so worried about snow - a few guys who I've talked to who have my tires say they are pretty good in the snow despite not being rated as a snow tire like the Bridgestone Revo's and the BFG A/T's are, but my main concern is running into ice, which I think may be a problem. I am contemplating potentially buying a set of winter tires however considering where I live we don't normally see snow too too much so it would mainly be for this trip and maybe to have on my truck for the winter for a while perhaps until around February.

What would you do if you were me? A set of snow tires & seperate rims, which is what I would do, would run me in the $1200 CDN range (probably $1000 USD) I'd imagine (Bridgestone Winter duellers in stock size).

Do you think the LTX A/T's will fit the bill? I am a pretty careful driver, however I am also will be driving 4000 KM's for this trip roughly (say 2500 miles) so I think safety is also of paramount importance. Somehow when I think about crashing my truck or something like that the hassle of dealing with insurance and/or a write off really justifies the purchase of a set of winter tires even for an up north steelhead trip once a year. The reason I'd like to get the stock size is b/c my chains fit the stock size.

Oh, and this eludes to another question. The chains I have fit my stock size tires. My stock size tires are actually 30.9" (according to the Michelin website) and they are 10.9" wide. I was thinking if I did get winter tires and rims I would run 16" rims and get 265/70/16 which are around 30.6" and 10.4" respectively. Do you think my chains would fit these tires (considering they fit my current LTX's perfectly?

The reason I want to get 16" rimmed tires is because if I do sell my truck somewhere down the road (not sure on when or if this may ever happen, but I gotta think smart here) I will probably run into a newer Toyota 4x4 truck with 16" rims of which these winter tires would fit it fine for winter. These are my thoughts anyways.