Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Cooper ATR's or Dayton Timberline A/T?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cooper ATR's or Dayton Timberline A/T?

Looking at some new tires and I have narrowed it down to these two choices. Cooper Discoverer ATR's or Dayton Timberline A/T. I have read a few things about both tires and both get good reviews. Anyone running these tires and can comment on them from personal experience? Out of curiousity, does anyone run these tires in passenger rating and wheel them?
Old 02-01-2007, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got ElDorado ZTR Sports in 265/75 16 size, in LT configurarion. These are Discoverer ATR clones made by Cooper. With about 25k on the tires, I've been very pleased with them, and expect them to reach 50k easily. The tread is wearing nicely and traction is far above average in moderately deep snow, ice and rain. In deep snow, the tread blocks are too close and don't throw the snow out like an M/T tire would. I've wheeled mine many times and they work relatively well, considering the tread style. I'd much rather run an M/T for wheeling though. They'll work for wheeling, just not exceptionally well.

The P metric series tires will work on 4Runners, but the sidewalls on P metric tires are much softer, due to fewer plies. This means they'll ride softer but are much more vulnerable to damage on trails and from road debris. Also, P metric tires don't carry a load rating, which means you're taking a chance when you tow something or haul something in the rear.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran the Cooper HT's on my Tundra and they were great tires. Very good road performance and ride, sufficient off the road as well. I just put a set of ATR's on my 01 4runner and have not been wheeling in anything tough yet. But the ride on the road is really good, not much noise, heavy rain and light snow is all I've been through yet but I really like them so far. The ones on my Tundra wore like Iron. As has been mentioned, get the LTs if you are wheeling in rough stuff. Cooper has a good website.

Doug