Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Common Wheels/Tires for Stock Truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Me Choose Wheels/Tires for my Stock Truck!!

I have a 1994 Toyota Xtra-cab 4x4 automatic that needs new tires. It has the original 15" steel wheels (silver), and I really hate the look of them, so I wanted to get new wheels while I'm at it. The truck currently has BFG Long Trail tires that are getting low on tread, but more importantly one is splittling at the sidewall. I was wondering if there are any "common" wheels and/or tires that people buy for stock trucks. I don't really do much off-roading to where I would need something crazy. I just want the truck to look nice, drive well, and also have the ability to go through some dirt every once in awhile without getting stuck. I understand that a 15x7 wheel size is what I should be looking for, and either stock or 31x10.5 tires seem to be common (but 31s will require different gears...?).

From the pictures I have seen in the "Post Your Pics" thread, it seems that many people go with American Racing Outlaw II style rims: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...+w%2FClearcoat

I saw another thread where somebody was asking about the Level 8 Strike 6 wheels. I think these look pretty nice, but are 1" bigger at 16". I found a handful of 4Runner and newer Tacoma/Tundra pics with them, but no 2nd/3rd gens. They can be seen here: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...5&rd=16&cs=265

As far as tires, I was heavily leaning towards the Cooper Discoverer AT3 235/75r15. These seem to have very good life at 55,000 miles with such an aggressive (looking) tread. They are here: http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...mpaign=froogle

And lastly I was looking at the General Grabber AT2, which I read were comparable to the Coopers. They can be seen here: http://www.walmart.com/ip/General-Gr...-Tire/14964143

So, are any of these common? Will they all fit my stock truck? Is one suggested over the other? Are there other options that are far superior/more common in the community? Thanks in advance for all your replies!

Last edited by KtrainHurricane; 02-13-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:59 PM

You can go to 16" rims if you'd like. Just get the correct offset/backspacing.

As far as tires, those are both great picks, you can also look at BFG All Terrains, or the Toyo Open Country A/T. also great long lasting, capable tires.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love those stock 15x7s--are they these:

I wish I could fit them on my '85--they are some of my favorite wheels.

I always like it when trucks keep factory, period-correct wheels. Another perk is that they can usually be found on Craigslist for pretty cheap and they usually clean up nicely with some cleaning/prep & paint.

What do you think of these? They were the alloys that were available in that generation.

I also really like these original 15x6s.

If you like chrome, these are a little more vintage than your truck but I love 'em. This is what I'm running:

(Yes, I'm very biased toward factory wheels)

15x6 and 15x7 and 15x8 are the most common replacement wheel sizes, although you can go to 16s or larger if you really want to. Just make sure they have around 4.5" of backspacing, a 6 on 5.5" bolt circle and at least a 106mm center bore if they're steel or exactly a 106mm bore if they're alloy.

If you get alloy wheels, you'll most-likely need different lug nuts.

You have a lot of options as far as tires go. Common sizes on stock trucks include 225/75R15, 235/75R15, 30x9.50R15 and 31x10.50R15.

You don't need to re-gear for 31s. They came stock on the SR5 trucks. If you're currently running 28s you'll notice a difference but modifications are not necessary.

There are lots of great tires around. Here are Tirerack's tire survey tables for the All-Terrain and Highway all-season categories:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...y.jsp?type=HAS

The Firestone Destination AT and LE2 currently have the highest satisfaction ratings.

Last edited by YoungFeller; 02-12-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by niall
You can go to 16" rims if you'd like. Just get the correct offset/backspacing.

As far as tires, those are both great picks, you can also look at BFG All Terrains, or the Toyo Open Country A/T. also great long lasting, capable tires.
Do you know what the "correct backspacing" would be for my truck?

And I was looking at the BFG All Terrains - my 1996 T100 had them. Problem is, they seem to cost $75-$100 more than the other two choices I listed. Not really looking to spend any more than $150 per tire, if possible.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by YoungFeller
I love those stock 15x7s--are they these:

I wish I could fit them on my '85--they are some of my favorite wheels.

I always like it when trucks keep factory, period-correct wheels. Another perk is that they can usually be found on Craigslist for pretty cheap and they usually clean up nicely with some cleaning/prep & paint.

What do you think of these? They were the alloys that were available in that generation.

I also really like these original 15x6s.

If you like chrome, these are a little more vintage than your truck but I love 'em. This is what I'm running:

(Yes, I'm very biased toward factory wheels)

15x6 and 15x7 and 15x8 are the most common replacement wheel sizes, although you can go to 16s or larger if you really want to. Just make sure they have around 4.5" of backspacing, a 6 on 5.5" bolt circle and at least a 106mm center bore if they're steel or exactly a 106mm bore if they're alloy.

If you get alloy wheels, you'll most-likely need different lug nuts.

You have a lot of options as far as tires go. Common sizes on stock trucks include 225/75R15, 235/75R15, 30x9.50R15 and 31x10.50R15.

You don't need to re-gear for 31s. They came stock on the SR5 trucks. If you're currently running 28s you'll notice a difference but modifications are not necessary.

There are lots of great tires around. Here are Tirerack's tire survey tables for the All-Terrain and Highway all-season categories:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...y.jsp?type=HAS

The Firestone Destination AT and LE2 currently have the highest satisfaction ratings.
Thanks so much for the info and links! The first picture is the wheel I have on my truck. I really really don't like the look of them...and I really don't like the look of the second pic rims either. The only wheels I liked from the factory are the Enkei ones that my T100 had (also see them on 4Runners).

As far as 31s...how big of a "difference" do you think I would notice? The truck is already INCREDIBLY slow. I do think 31s look much nicer and do a better job of filling in the wheel well gaps, but I feel that it would be unsafe trying to get on the highway with how slow the truck is

Also, the research I have done on this forum tells me that it will impact my MPGs by a fairly significant amount. I am not through my first tank yet, but I am right about at the halfway point and have ~120 miles on the trip odometer. That would give me ~240 miles on the tank, which would equal ~15 MPGs. This already seems pretty low; I was expecting more like 18/20 MPGs (I have a light foot, and only drive about 10 miles each way to work).

Last edited by KtrainHurricane; 02-12-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:37 PM

I will also note that I do NOT want to have to change the gears on my truck. If you read my Intro thread, you will see that I really don't plan on going off-road with this truck much at all. It is my DD and being able to drive it daily is #1 priority. I like the fact that it's 4x4 "just because" but again, it most likely will not see that much off-roading. Therefore, swapping gears is an unnecessary and expensive job that I really don't want any part of.

The purpose of getting new wheels with possibly bigger, more aggressive looking tires is simply for aesthetics. While it may be "dumb" to some (or most) of you, I think a truck just looks 100x better when it sits a little higher and has nice wheels and tires on it. So with that said, please steer any suggestions with that piece of info in the back of your mind!
Old 02-12-2013, 07:03 PM

I REALLY like these Allied wheels: http://www.alliedwheel.com/wheel.php?name=chr+daytona

Problem is, I can't seem to find them anywhere! Various sellers on Ebay have them, but not 6x5.5 bolt pattern. Does anybody know where I can get them, or if there is another company that makes the same style wheel (square cutouts as opposed to circles).

Also, would 15x8 fit on my stock truck? What would be the best tire size to go with these? Thanks in advance...
Old 02-13-2013, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
US Wheel also makes that wheel:
http://www.uswheel.com/collections/c...chrome-daytona

Yes, you can fit 15x8 on your truck but you usually don't want to put narrower than a 10.50 (or 265) tire on them. A 15x7 works better with tire sizes like 235/75 and 30x9.50.

What tire size do you have now? Yes, you will generally lose a little power and MPG going to a taller tire. A 30x9.50 might be a good balance. They look fairly big on stock trucks.

Have you looked at used tires? I usually get used tires for the truck since it doesn't drive many miles. Often, you can find very nice condition tires that are only a few years old that people swap out to change sizes or types. My two previous sets of BFG ATs were used tires--I've never bought them new--much too expensive, I agree. You can also look at salvage yards--often vehicles are totalled in accidents and they have nearly new tires on them. Just inspect them closely and pay attention to the date code on the tire. Here's how to find and read the date codes:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=11&

Also, painting is an inexpensive way to change the look of wheels. You can spray them with chrome or black paint and get a completely different look.

Last edited by YoungFeller; 02-13-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by YoungFeller
US Wheel also makes that wheel:
http://www.uswheel.com/collections/c...chrome-daytona

Yes, you can fit 15x8 on your truck but you usually don't want to put narrower than a 10.50 (or 265) tire on them. A 15x7 works better with tire sizes like 235/75 and 30x9.50.

What tire size do you have now? Yes, you will generally lose a little power and MPG going to a taller tire. A 30x9.50 might be a good balance. They look fairly big on stock trucks.

Have you looked at used tires? I usually get used tires for the truck since it doesn't drive many miles. Often, you can find very nice condition tires that are only a few years old that people swap out to change sizes or types. My two previous sets of BFG ATs were used tires--I've never bought them new--much too expensive, I agree. You can also look at salvage yards--often vehicles are totalled in accidents and they have nearly new tires on them. Just inspect them closely and pay attention to the date code on the tire. Here's how to find and read the date codes:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=11&

Also, painting is an inexpensive way to change the look of wheels. You can spray them with chrome or black paint and get a completely different look.

Thanks for the input. My tires on there now are the stock size (as far as I know) - they're BFG Long Trail 235/75r15. Will going up to a 30" tire be really noticeable? Like I said before, the truck is already incredibly slow and the MPGs really suck, so I don't want to take too big of a hit...but I want my new tires to look nice (I know, asking for a little much here)

Do you have any other pics of those painted wheels? Perhaps one from farther away so I can get a better look at them...

A friend just suggested Toyo Open Country. Any reviews on those? They seem to be about $30-$40 cheaper than the other 3 I were looking at online. He said he likes them.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:24 PM

I have the falken Rocky Mountain all terrain tires and love them and aren't super expensive I have 30s on my 87 4runner
Name:  IMG_2320.jpg
Views: 5458
Size:  215.9 KB
Old 02-14-2013, 10:11 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i had 31s on my 93 pickup/22re/manual with stock 4.10 gearing when I bought my truck and got the best MPGs back then before I changed the setup. i did mostly hwy driving and was around 18/22 on average, with 27mpg being the highest I ever got somehow. truck drove great and it didn't have any power like any other 20+yr old toyota - but keep in mind i have a 5spd so it had slightly more pep/driver control.

my truck had the toyota alloys (2nd wheel pictured above), whereas you have the steel wheel from that generation truck. i liked that wheel a lot and would have kept it if they'd fit 33x12.5s - but they don't have the back spacing/width. another nice wheel i've seen on 3rd gen trucks is the 3-spoke Tacoma alloys and they will fit 31s and 33x10.5s if you go bigger later:

right now, i've got a set of alloys that are pretty much identical to the Outlaw IIs (i think mine are older model pacer wheels) - but what I actually see on pretty much every toyota with aftermarket wheels are your typical black rock crawler steel wheels -- which pretty much look just like the ones you were seeking (just not chrome - but paint works!). they're relatively inexpensive and get the job done. you also won't need new lugs.

as for tires, that's really subjective to you. personally, i would avoid BFG AT's because they are an ancient design and IMO the modern design ATs from other manufacturers these days are superior for on-road driving -- but the BFGs are proven tough and hi-mileage, with the downfall that you pay for the name and everybody and their brother have them. i hear the Falken Wild Peaks are great tires, so are the AT3s, Nitto Terra Grapplers, GY DuraTracs, Cooper ST Maxx, etc etc. They are ALL great tires these days when consumer feedback on the internet can plague a manufacturer!

Good luck!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by highonpottery

as for tires, that's really subjective to you. personally, i would avoid BFG AT's because they are an ancient design and IMO the modern design ATs from other manufacturers these days are superior for on-road driving -- but the BFGs are proven tough and hi-mileage, with the downfall that you pay for the name and everybody and their brother have them. i hear the Falken Wild Peaks are great tires, so are the AT3s, Nitto Terra Grapplers, GY DuraTracs, Cooper ST Maxx, etc etc. They are ALL great tires these days when consumer feedback on the internet can plague a manufacturer!

Good luck!
I LOVE the Nitto Terra Grapplers, but unfortunately they don't make them in the size I need. Same thing with the ST Maxx.

Seems like the General Grabber or Cooper Discoverer offer the most "aggresive" tread for an A/T light truck tire in 15" sizes. I think I will end up going with one of those two, but...

Any other suggestions/opinions?!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:02 PM

Just found these Pro Comp Radial All-Terrain (http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/31x...&t_pn=PCT15031) tires while searching around and reading reviews. They seem nice and aggressive, and carry a 50,000 mile warranty. Only problem is the smallest they come in is 31". Would this really kill my truck (remember, no changing gears!)?

I can also get these tires at my local 4WheelParts for 163.99 each for 3 of them, 4th tire free, and wouldn't have to pay for shipping...since it's local.

Last edited by KtrainHurricane; 02-14-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:05 PM

Will those factory 15" Enkei wheels fit on my truck? They're the ones seen here:
Attached Thumbnails Common Wheels/Tires for Stock Truck-profile.jpg  
Old 09-03-2013, 03:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
probably
Old 09-03-2013, 06:21 PM

Common Wheels/Tires for Stock Truck-forumrunner_20130903_212052.png

yep!!! Sure will
Old 09-03-2013, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rerunn
Attachment 94149

yep!!! Sure will
Perfect fit with no mods required? If so then AWESOME! I love these wheels, and this would quickly help end my search.

Thanks so much!
Old 09-16-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
i had 31s on my 93 pickup/22re/manual with stock 4.10 gearing when I bought my truck and got the best MPGs back then before I changed the setup. i did mostly hwy driving and was around 18/22 on average, with 27mpg being the highest I ever got somehow. truck drove great and it didn't have any power like any other 20+yr old toyota - but keep in mind i have a 5spd so it had slightly more pep/driver control.

my truck had the toyota alloys (2nd wheel pictured above), whereas you have the steel wheel from that generation truck. i liked that wheel a lot and would have kept it if they'd fit 33x12.5s - but they don't have the back spacing/width. another nice wheel i've seen on 3rd gen trucks is the 3-spoke Tacoma alloys and they will fit 31s and 33x10.5s if you go bigger later:

right now, i've got a set of alloys that are pretty much identical to the Outlaw IIs (i think mine are older model pacer wheels) - but what I actually see on pretty much every toyota with aftermarket wheels are your typical black rock crawler steel wheels -- which pretty much look just like the ones you were seeking (just not chrome - but paint works!). they're relatively inexpensive and get the job done. you also won't need new lugs.

Good luck!

Not to hijack but i've been looking for a similar answer. So what size tacoma alloys will fit a 1993-94 4x4? Been trying to find out which other factory wheels will fit without any mods, other than not running the center cap?
Old 09-16-2013, 05:48 PM

Have searched the forum a 100 times but can't find an exact answer.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:54 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All tacoma wheels will.

Toyota made 15x7 and 16x7 wheels for these generations. Generally trucks with 16" brakes used the larger alloys as pictured about 3/4 way downt he page. Otherwise the older trucks mostly used the alloys in the 3rd post.

Your truck can use any of those wheels no issue. Its when you have newer truck (post 95.5) and want to use the 15" wheels you cant, they hit the calipers.

Quick Reply: Common Wheels/Tires for Stock Truck