Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Check out these tires!!! Dayton Timberline A/T's

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out these tires!!! Dayton Timberline A/T's

Hey all, check my prior post also for more info...

Just got these put on a few hours ago. All I can say is WOW! Been researching tires for months now it seems, hoping to find an economical alternative to my first choice (Revo's). Persistence paid off big time!

Dayton is a lesser-known brand mfg'd by Bridgestone/Firestone. Be warned, the first guy I talked to didn't even know they sold Daytons - haha. They clearly don't market this brand much. I can't imagine why?!

I ended up getting a P-metric tire over the LT as I drive mostly around town/freeway with a few trips to the mountains each winter. P265/75R16 Timberline A/T. Very little info out there on the web, but the local Bridg/Fire store is the only place to ge them besides tireseasy.com and a couple other obscure web sites. Do a quick Google search if interested. The dealer even beat the online price!!! Got four new tires delivered for under $340! Add for the mount, lifetime balance, valves, lifetime rotation and of course, an alignment. Grand total just over $400 out the door. They also have a few HT & LT as well as an awesome looking M/T model available. Bottom line, these things rock! Still can't believe the incredible price. I figure you're getting all of the Bridg/Fire technology for about 1/2 the price.

Obviously I can't comment on tread life, snow traction, etc but the difference in ride from my old tires is remarkable. Absolutely no tread noise, smooth, balanced perfectly first try...can't even get them to break loose on dry pavement. Did the chalk test first thing and running 30psi in the front and 29psi in the rear. The tread pattern is killer. Kind of a cross between the Geolander and the Revo. Pretty mean IMO. A few other members responded to my prior post and have experience either owning or selling these, and had mostly all good things to say about the brand in general (not this specific tire though).

Just thought y'all would like to know about these. Might be worth a try for the budget-minded. You could theoretically buy two sets of these for the same price as most tires out there. Usually you get what you pay for, but I'm hoping they turn out to be the deal of the century. I'll post another review maybe after 5k or so and see how they're holding up. Check 'em out...
ps - I've got pics but apparently they're too large to upload (640x480?) Can anyone help me resize?

MDB

"bound to cover just a little more ground"
Old 10-04-2005, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This the tire you have?

Did you see the M/T's? Wow!

Old 10-04-2005, 12:23 PM

The Dayton Timerbline's are the same as the Firestone Destination series. Dayton is apparently manufactured under Firestone. Good tire nonetheless.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:38 PM

What tire shop did you end up going to? A big chain place or a smaller place? I called up Blaskin & Lane in Calgary and asked about a set of the A/T's in 31x10.5R15 and got quoted something like $840(Cdn mind you) for 4. Still not bad compaired to some of the other tires I've looked at, but still when compaired to your price.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:02 PM

Churnd~yep that's the one...sooooo sweet.

ASU4runner~ the actual tread design is completely dferent than the destination series. The sales guy initially thought the same thing..also though the lemans brand were the same. Neither is similar in appearnace, but possibly in composition? I just can't believe such an awesome line of tires gets no marketing and goes relatively unknown.

Bill~ sraight from Firestone shop around the corner. Beat the internet price and all. Still can't believe it...just got back from another drive....these things really
Old 10-04-2005, 02:07 PM

oops!...........ROCK!!!

I just put 'er in neutral and coasted down a big hill, hit about 45mph. Not even a whisper. I'm so impressed I can't even hold back the big-ass grin while I'm driving. Of course, if you saw my other tires......scary best desribes it...anything probably would've been better. Still...couldn't be happier with anyting other than the Revos, but for the price, ZERO regrets!
Old 10-06-2005, 12:32 PM

my dad runs those tires, and i'm gonna get a set for my truck after i put the engine back in..good tires that last a long time.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:41 PM

Great to hear! Pretty stoked after a few days and a few hundred miles. Any ideas how many miles he's got on his by chance? I figure if I get even 30K I'm doing good. Thanks for the repsonse...
Old 10-06-2005, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

if you end up doing moderate offroading, you will love the way the m/t's work! i have a set and they get me through some pretty nasty stuff. set of 4 31x10.5's out the door was around 750$ inclusive. i say moderate as i get into mud, rocks and loose surface on a smaller scale than what some members do. im leaving for some serious rock tomorrow, im expecting the m/t's to perform flawlessly. a friend has a set of 33's and he is tickled pink with them.

lee
Old 10-06-2005, 10:13 PM

i beleive im gonna get a set of the M/T's if i can find them cheaper than teh destinations. the guy at the firestone place said that he would beat any price and order them on a tuesday so they come on the regualr truck and i get free shipping... good stuff
Old 10-08-2005, 04:39 PM

Do the MT's come in 32x11.50R15?

I dl'd the pdf but didnt see them listed.

Whats the equivalent in metric size to 32's?

thx,
Mike
Old 10-08-2005, 05:12 PM

uh, what is so great about those??? they make my AT's look like Mudders...BFG AT's are alot more agressive, and the MT K/M's are to die for... No sale, I'll be going with 33x10.50 BFG MT K/M's... there's not even any factory siping on those MT's...
Old 10-08-2005, 05:43 PM

I've had some vibration issues with the BFG AT's. EVERYTHING else has checked out other than the tire. (driveshafts and u-joints, etc...)

I like the BFG MT's but want to try something different and wont spend $200 a tire.

I'm also looking at Dunlops but some here say that they are too hard.....

Mike

Last edited by photomike72; 10-08-2005 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by photomike72
I've had some vibration issues with the BFG AT's. I like the BFG MT's but want to try something different and wont spend $200 a tire.

I'm also looking at Dunlops but some here say that they are too hard.....

Mike
true, they're costly, and they do make noise...but I guess that's the preice you pay some times eh...
Old 10-10-2005, 08:57 PM

I've been running that tire for a couple of years on my '86 Toyota 4x4. The A/T. It does real good in heavy rain and gives great traction in the snow. I found them on the Dayton website, also looking for an affordable tire. That '86 is really easy on tire wear. Hope you enjoy them.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

I've got these on my 03 Taco, (the A/t's in 265/75r16 - basically a 32 10.50) and I am extremely happy with them. They do very well in medium to moderate off-road, and very well on the street with little/no road noise. Definitely a winner. Just keep them rotated and balanced, and you'll be stoked.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:25 PM

I just sold a set of 31x10.5R15 Daytons, slightly used with rims for $350. They were good tires!
Old 10-11-2005, 01:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
anybody running the new coopers?

Old 10-11-2005, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by snap-on
anybody running the new coopers?

Those aren't new, but I used to run them. I just sold them in fact. Good tires with wonderful traction in all conditions. They were quite noisy however, which is what I would expect from a tire that aggressive. Awesome in between tire between an A/T and a M/T.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:57 AM

UPDATE: So far I've got a few hundred miles and loving every one of 'em These thgin are even better than I had hoped. Whisper quiet, rides almost as good as the A/S tires I ad before in terms of comfort. I can now say first hand the snow traction is great. We just got hit with 20" in SE Denver. Drifts over 4' were not match for my new Daytons! (Oh ,and the e-lock, low range and 4x4 didn't hurt either I guess ;-)

Found a friend who's running these in Madison, WI for the last two years. Said they are wearing great, even, etc. Anyone looking for a good, affordable tire shoud go no further!

Quick Reply: Check out these tires!!! Dayton Timberline A/T's