Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

automatic tire balancing with air soft bb's

Old 02-09-2010, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
automatic tire balancing with air soft bb's

I heard about this from an old time wrench jockey friend of mine. I did some searching around and did not see anything about this on the site. I am intrigued.

There is a chart on one of the links for how many OZ of BB's are added to each tire internally to balance them. Having seen what a left over piece of tire stem will do to the belt of a tire, I was hesitant to try, however I guess after reading about others successes with this setup, I will be the test monkey for the site. My friend says running this setup he will never have to go to a tire store again to get tires balanced. He is running some bad boys on his truck too. So.........

I'm going to give this a try.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/BigTirechart.htm
( gives OZ of BB's per tire size )

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f46/t...ancing-182939/
(Application Discussed in detail)

You might notice that one link takes you to the Marlin Crawler page, which gives it some validation in my eyes...

My friend said add some liquid (non aerosol 1 gal is available at Lowes for somewhere around $14.00) WD-40 to the BB's when you add them to the tires. Helps keep them sliding well inside the tire. Bulk air soft BB's are available at Frey's fairly inexpensively.

Some of these guys are talking about running 3 golf balls in their tires, which I WILL NOT BE TRYING.... No No No. Thank you, ummm... No.

Thought it was a pretty simple and cool concept and I'm going to give it a shot. Will post results on this thread after I get installed and after running them a while.

Should this already been discussed on this site, my apologies. I did a real quick search and did not see it being discussed.

RJ
Old 02-09-2010, 12:18 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Talk to Dark_fairytales. He's beat you to it... heh
Old 02-09-2010, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as i work in a tire shop, i say the BB balancing is utter horse ka-ka. though if people think it balances, then to each their own.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:28 PM

Hunh I took a look. I guess the mods can delete this one if they like.

Ozzie, it will be an interesting experiment at least. It is similar as what 4crawler added to his rig, just internal... and he likes the inner ring auto balancers. I am 50/50 on it. My truck cant vibrate any worse. Thats for sure.

Need to look him up and see the results over there.

Thanks for the heads up Mak...

Last edited by rjfortuna; 02-09-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
as i work in a tire shop, i say the BB balancing is utter horse ka-ka. though if people think it balances, then to each their own.
ohh but sir... you are very wrong. when the wheel begins to turn the BBs stick to the inner tire and rotate with the tire due to rotational force, there for creating the same effect that a weight on the rim does. you just need to get the correct weight of BBs for the tire size and it will work... I'm a first hand witness of it. Dark_fairytales does this with his tires and his have zero problems.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:09 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I think one major advantage of doing this is if your mud running/snow wheeling etc and drive out onto the streets you don't have to worry about wheel balance as these will "re-balance" the tire if anything is left stuck to the wheel/tire. Not to mention loosing wheel weights while off-road.

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
Is this because it takes away from your business profits?

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 02-09-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:41 PM

I have never tried it to see if it works but I have heard of a lot of people using them to balance offroad tires just because they are often hard to balance in the first place requiring more than one or 2 weights on occasion. I have also heard that you can do it with fine sand. They put bags of sand into the tire and before it is aired up they bust the bags and pull out the plastic. But it will be interesting to see what you find out and if it is worth it.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:47 PM

I put 10oz of airsoft BBs in each of my tires once and it worked wonders..it balanced the out of them
Old 02-09-2010, 01:49 PM

^^^ you're gonna get a warning for trying to bypass the bad word filter system! Edit it, quick!
Old 02-09-2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
^^^ you're gonna get a warning for trying to bypass the bad word filter system! Edit it, quick!
thats poop you have a dirty mind
Old 02-09-2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by bain
could've been refered to the S word :O.... hahaha
Old 02-09-2010, 01:53 PM

could've been refered to the S word :O.... hahaha
i better stop...back to the topic...its some important

Last edited by bain; 02-09-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

I put 10oz of airsoft BBs in each of my tires once and it worked wonders..it balanced the out of them
Is this sarcasm?

Nah...that wasn't bad at all, pretty inventive actually...might make that a smiley.

As far as the original question...I had a set of 37" MTR's with BB's in them for balancing...didn't do a thing except make a HUGE mess in the back of my Tacoma when I got them unmounted.

Fink
Old 02-09-2010, 01:58 PM

Lol a poop smiley... lovely.

yeah, they also go ding ding ding ding ding ding... ding........ ding. ding. ding..... ding everytime you come to a stop
Old 02-09-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
Is this sarcasm?

Nah...that wasn't bad at all, pretty inventive actually...might make that a smiley.

As far as the original question...I had a set of 37" MTR's with BB's in them for balancing...didn't do a thing except make a HUGE mess in the back of my Tacoma when I got them unmounted.

Fink
nope..it actually worked very well on my 35's. My local shop couldnt get them balanced right so I did the airsofts..
Old 02-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

nope..it actually worked very well on my 35's. My local shop couldnt get them balanced right so I did the airsofts..
That's awesome.

Fink
Old 02-09-2010, 02:15 PM

http://www.innovativebalancing.com
Old 02-09-2010, 03:39 PM

Yes. I heard they work quite well. It is good to hear that others on the site have tried this, IE Dark_fairytales and bain. Also on the sites I found the info on, lots of others had good things to say. I like the no maitnence of it, and the fact when I have all kinds of crud and mud stuck to my tires, they should balance, and when it falls off, re-balance.

I had read about the balancing sand, but it was reviewed as less effective as the air soft BB's and the BB's dont wear away (supposedly.)

I think the turd smiley would be great.

RJ
Old 02-09-2010, 04:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
My buddy is using BB's in his 38.5 SX's on a SASed 89 F-150. They worked wonders, alot less shaky-shaky from grooved swampers now.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:08 PM

Ive used BBs in 38.5 mudders before with good results.

I now use this both in my truck and dirt bikes and ATVs.
http://truegoo.com/

The BBs just cant stop an air leak.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: automatic tire balancing with air soft bb's