Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

anyone knows that how to reset a tire pressure monitoring TPMS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone knows that how to reset a tire pressure monitoring TPMS?

I have a 06 4runner V8 limited model...I have aired on all tires properly at 33psi but I still sees a warning light on TPMS...is there a way to know the problem whether tires or TPMS sensors?

And anyone know how to reset a TPMS on 06 4 runner V8 Limited? I can't find the reset button.

My tire is Michelin crossterrain SUV.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:16 PM

still having this problem? i own a tire shop, if it not a manual reset and it didnt reset after you aired them up you have a bad sensor . never use fix a flat or anything like that in wheel with sensors.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:36 PM

toyotas typicaly have a sensor in the spare tireso check your spare and toyotas must be reset at the dealership since they havent released their coding to be put into the scan tools. I work fo the largest tire dealer in the northwest
Old 06-11-2010, 07:04 PM

If the light stays on solid after you turn the truck in, you have a low tire.

There is no reset button on those. It resets itself and turn off the light when it sees all the tires at proper pressure. The spare is included in the mix here.

If the tire light is contantly blinking (doesn't go on solid after a few seconds) then you have a damaged or broken sensor, or something else has failed and you have no choice but to see the dealer about this.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

PSSS There's this little book thingie in your glove compartment... take a look in there.. there just might be information about your truck in it.. oh ya and check your spare tire pressure.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:04 PM

The book doesn't tell you much just a FYI
Old 06-12-2010, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

On my 06 Taco it told you how to reset the light using a little button on the bottom of the steering column. There was a couple pages talking about the TPMS. I had to deal with them several times because I had aftermarket wheels. When I traded in my Taco I kept the wheels. I had to have the sensors removed and put back into the stock wheels and then I had to have my Tundra monitors put into the aftermarket wheels. Had to pay 12 mounts and dismounts it sucked.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:56 PM

taco = reset button.
4runner = no button

If you are sure all 5 of the the tires are aired up properly, and the light is still on, one last thing you can try is one at a time removing the valve core of the tire and quickly letting all of the air out. Then reinstall the valve core and air them back up. Sometimes, particularly if the truck isn't driven a lot the sensors can 'fall asleep'. This letting the air out, and airing them back up will 'wake up' the sensors. After airing them up, sometimes you have to drive it for a good 10 minutes before the light goes out.

If this doesn't work, you'll need to take it in to the dealer to figure out exactly what has gone awry.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:42 PM

you have to use a tpms scaner or a magnet turn your key on and start at the left front wheel and hold it at the sencer and go around to the right front then to right rear and then left rear then check to see if light went out
Old 06-13-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by cws9685
you have to use a tpms scaner or a magnet turn your key on and start at the left front wheel and hold it at the sencer and go around to the right front then to right rear and then left rear then check to see if light went out
Great idea, because everybody has a tpms scanner laying around in their tool kit...

And for some strange reason I don't recall seeing anything, anywhere in the repair manual about playing with magnets to try and reset a tire light...

Do what I said above. If that doesn't work, then we'll need to pull codes and see exactly what is or is not being seen, and your best bet is the dealer here.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by pb4ugotobed
Great idea, because everybody has a tpms scanner laying around in their tool kit...

And for some strange reason I don't recall seeing anything, anywhere in the repair manual about playing with magnets to try and reset a tire light...

Do what I said above. If that doesn't work, then we'll need to pull codes and see exactly what is or is not being seen, and your best bet is the dealer here.
there are reset tools that have magnets on one end that resets the sencers i just said that you have to use tpms scanner to reset the light if it dont go out on its own go to your local dealer or shop and thats what they will use to reset it
Old 06-13-2010, 12:31 PM

Other manufacturers may have some special tool to reset the sensors some how, but Toyota uses nothing of the sort. Rarely (though it does happen) you'll get a sensor that's fallen asleep and needs to be woken up like I said above (actual spec is let at least 6psi out of the tire in under 30 seconds, but that little bit doesn't always work). Other than falling asleep, there is no on or off or reset for them. They are what they are. We do have a scanner that will pull up the battery voltage, sensor id number, frequency they transmit at, tire pressure, temperature, etc of each sensor. But that's all it does is read the info the sensor transmits. Basically saves you having to break down multiple tires to find the one sensor that matches the ID# you see in the techstream datalist that isn't responding.

I'm not trying to start a fight with you or anything here, but you're gonna have to trust me on this. I've fixed a tire light or two in my day
Old 06-13-2010, 01:39 PM

the magnet you speek of is mostly for gm autos at least thats all ive used mine 4. lol i dont hardly even use my scan tool unless its on a gm! lol
Old 09-17-2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by TOE-B
still having this problem? i own a tire shop, if it not a manual reset and it didnt reset after you aired them up you have a bad sensor . never use fix a flat or anything like that in dvd headrest wheel with sensors.
Mine had this issue since it was a bad sensor.