Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

1995 4Runner spare tire fire

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 4Runner spare tire fire

Yes, for real. My spare tire caught fire. I was stopped at a red light when I noticed it. Long story short, I caused an accident. Everyone is ok tho. But I would like to know how in the hell my spare caught fire?! I replaced the spare with a tire that I had on one of the ground. And I had 4 brand new tires on the ground. I've no idea how my spare caught fire. Any ideas would be great. Thanks
Old 09-25-2015, 11:28 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Your spare tire caught fire it was not being used it was just in the rack or where ever you keep it??

If you had a tire problem put it in use and it caught fire

Your post was a little vague

This happened more often with tubes in tires then with tubeless

It can happen a few ways running it with very low air pressure

brake hanging up getting hot bearing getting hot the tire is flammable it gets hot enough it ignites.

Someone used a flammable chemical to inflate the tire for some reason it reached the correct temperature it ignited
Old 09-26-2015, 05:02 AM

The spare tire was installed on the rim by discount tire the day of the fire. I installed it under the cargo compartment, where the carrier is at. It was not in use. There was 35 psi in the tire.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Alexdosdall
The spare tire was installed on the rim by discount tire the day of the fire. I installed it under the cargo compartment, where the carrier is at. It was not in use. There was 35 psi in the tire.
And it was a standard tubeless tire. It was the same size as the rest of my tires.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You had a used tire mounted by a tire store, that later caught fire?

Did they use a flammable propellant to seat the bead prior to inflating the tire? That could be cause for a lawsuit.

Or did you mount it too close to the exhaust? That would be your responsibility.

If you claim it on insurance, they may investigate and find the cause, then hold them responsible.

Glad your truck didn't go up in smoke and you're OK. Whew!

Last edited by tj884Rdlx; 09-26-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Do you have a larger tire then what is to be your spare? I put one in the tire carrier of one of my trucks and just did not like how close it was to the exhaust pipe it was so I went to the stock size tire for a spare. I am thinking your tire was too large or the pipe some how has moved from its normal position and got close to your tire or maybe the tire shop just did not get your spare mounted correctly in the carrier.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:58 AM

I do not know if the lube discount tire used was flammable. I would think not. The stock tire is 225 75 15 (I think) and the spare was 235 75 15. So not much larger. I put it into the stock spare tire location. It did not seem like the exhaust was close enough to cause any problems. And the tire caught fire on top of the tire. Kind of a weird spot.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:37 PM

Red face

Is there any chance you might have a fuel leak random spark ignited the vapors??

This is really strange that the top of the tire caught fire .

There had to be some sort of flammable liquid starting a tire in the rack has to be pretty hard .
Old 11-21-2017, 06:59 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Do you have a larger tire then what is to be your spare?....
Originally Posted by Alexdosdall
...The stock tire is 225 75 15 (I think) and the spare was 235 75 15. ....
Got same concern now after I up-sized from 225 to 235 and now to 31's. Does/did anybody who upgraded to 31's or bigger have problem with exhaust heat on spare tire?
Spare tire is well-centered on carrier but I feel it's to close to the exhaust.

I can barely put my hand between (this test was conducted by well-trained professionals under controlled conditions - LOL!) exhaust pipe.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:30 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Ray - so my 32" spare sits even closer to the exhaust, so I wrapped the tailpipe with exhaust tape right in that area to help keep some of the heat away from the tire. In my mind, the heat may slowly degrade the tire, but it probably won't catch fire or melt the tire unless the tire contacts the tailpipe, so I figure the wrap will keep that from happening.
The following users liked this post:
SomedayJ (04-05-2019)
Old 11-22-2017, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by coryc85
Ray - so my 32" spare sits even closer ... wrapped the tailpipe with exhaust tape ...
So reassuring to hear that, Cory! Thanks a lot! I'll do that. Moving air blows the heat away but I'm worried about while at a stop.

I'll also add cam-lock straps to pull it away from the exhaust pipe a little farther.

Guys,
Looked at Amazon...
Any experience with either of these?
http://a.co/68DDXCw
http://a.co/9hgnf6P

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 11-22-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:15 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Got same concern now after I up-sized from 225 to 235 and now to 31's. Does/did anybody who upgraded to 31's or bigger have problem with exhaust heat on spare tire?

I can barely put my hand between (this test was conducted by well-trained professionals under controlled conditions - LOL!) exhaust pipe.
Ray- looks like your lower spring bushing is split.

you can also rotate the tire so it is barbequed evenly
Ray - so my 32" spare sits even closer to the exhaust, so I wrapped the tailpipe with exhaust tape right in that area to help keep some of the heat away from the tire. In my mind, the heat may slowly degrade the tire, but it probably won't catch fire or melt the tire unless the tire contacts the tailpipe, so I figure the wrap will keep that from happening.
The Pipe swap should do the trick,
I bought a roll of the stuff on amazon, got it two weeks ago but haven't got it put on yet
Old 11-23-2017, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
Ray- looks like your lower spring bushing is split.
you can also rotate the tire so it is barbequed evenly
Yes, one of the may things I need to address (bushings).
Yep, my friend says All-Wheel Drive means all wheels including the spare rotate - LOL!

The Pipe swap wrap should do the trick
Yep, ordering that soon
Tnx, Robb!
Old 11-23-2017, 02:21 AM

Red face

I would think your main concern should be the temperature pressure if the pressure in the tire gets to high the tire will blow out well before it catches on fire .

Speaking from my experience !! On two different times .

One wheel bearing failed till I got it off the road things were quite warm glowing brake drum.

The second time the brake just locked drum got really red both times the tires popped maybe some grease and oil caught fire never the rubber

both these happened in my early days
Old 11-24-2017, 04:40 AM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts

COB did this with his exhaust, it can help to get peace of mind:

The following users liked this post:
ChildrenOfBodom (12-12-2022)
Old 12-04-2017, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by SomedayJ
COB did this with his exhaust, it can help to get peace of mind:
Nice (G-Wagon style - ), but too much work for my taste
Well... I got an interim but robust fix. Just biased the mounting to the right with cam-lock strap, making sure spare is clear of any moving parts. Got lots of clearance again, but I'll still do the pipe insulating wrap someday for extra measure.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 12-04-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:32 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Ray and dropzone - quick tip which I did not do, but wish I did...when you mess with the exhaust wrap, wear long sleeves and gloves, the fibers from that stuff got on me, and in sensitive places like the crook of my elbow I had little hairs stabbing me for several days. Might be common sense for people, but I didn't even think about it til it was too late and I was all itchy.

I'm a bit surprised that there is no factory heat shield there, popping that spare would certainly scare the crap out of me. I really just need to get a rear bumper with a swingout. To this day my father removes the spare tire from under his truck and puts it in the bed because he has had a few bad experiences being offroad in mud and snow and having to retrieve the tire from the muck.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:05 AM

...quick tip...
... To this day my father removes the spare tire from under his truck and puts it in the bed because he has had a few bad experiences being offroad in mud and snow and having to retrieve the tire from the muck.
Tnx, Cory.
Yes, I want a swingaway spare carrier, too, for that reason. Stock storage is for soccer mom's who can just dial AAA road service when needed.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
Nice (G-Wagon style - ), but too much work for my taste
Well... I got an interim but robust fix. Just biased the mounting to the right with cam-lock strap, making sure spare is clear of any moving parts. Got lots of clearance again, but I'll still do the pipe insulating wrap someday for extra measure.
what about a tire carrier that fits in the hitch receiver?:
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-06-2017, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by SomedayJ
what about a tire carrier that fits in the hitch receiver?:
Yes, good option but only if it tilts down to allow opening of tailgate.
It would be nicer to have swing-out like Robb's but for a first-gen.

Quick Reply: 1995 4Runner spare tire fire