First Aid / General Medicine Discussion pertaining to outdoor medicine, wilderness first aid kits, ect.

Mosquito & biting black flies

Old 04-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Which one of those units are you using?
And do they actually protect you for a small area if you are wearing it.

Do any bugs land on you, or do they buzz off?
Old 04-27-2008, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Corey
Which one of those units are you using?
And do they actually protect you for a small area if you are wearing it.

Do any bugs land on you, or do they buzz off?

I use the one they call woodlands camo appliance. It uses a small butane cartridges that you light and it heats up the pad. I use it while hunting and fishing, you can put it at your feet and they just hover around your area and every once in a while one will get close, but just buzz off. Everyone around here has them with the skeeters and gnats(I think what you are referring to biting black flies). I believe that if you get it you wont be dissapointed.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks, will order one and extra butane and stuff needed.

No, he black flies up where I go are also known as horse flies I think.
They are HUGE, much bigger than the common house fly, and when they land on you, they bite hard.

I imagine these things work pretty much like the big ones that use a 20 lb propane tank to power them?
Old 04-27-2008, 04:35 PM

idk what to do about the horse flies, we have them around here... If you find something that works for them let us know... Who knows this might also work, but i know those things will tear you behind up... Anyways, yeah I imagine that they work the same as the bigger ones
Old 04-27-2008, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive had good luck with sugar water... well, my ex did... oh WAIT how to keep them OFF?? uhh....
Old 04-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Contributing Member

it's Jungle Juice for me, and i think it was something like 98% or 99% DEET not quite 100.

I used it when i spent some time in Africa brought 12 bottles with me and used 10. But I spent alot of time out in the bush and would rather die from cancer at age 50 then get bit by some of the critters we encountered...

things that burrow in to your skin and lay their eggs creap me out.

Best part about Jungle Juice was you need only a few drops and you only had to put it on once a day... bad part was useing your hands to eat with after you applied it (we had no running water and any clean water was for drinkin)... Yuck
Old 05-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Was at Fred Meyers earlier to pick up a black cotton blanket (got a microfiber one on sale instead) to put down over the plastic when my rear seats are folded down.

That is to protect the black plastic from getting all scratched up when loading up all of the camping gear.

I went down the camping isle where I got the Cutters awhile back, and I saw this citronella candle there.
CITRONELLA CANDLE,TRIPLE WICK

I have owned other citronella candles in the past, will give this one a try too by setting it on the picnic table at night when sitting out by the
Old 05-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

The cutter advanced, and 30% or more DEET are the only true insect repellants.

I have a paper that showed how long the repellants are effective, The only ones with protection for more than 30 minutes are DEET and the active ingredient in Advanced.

Avon Skin So soft= Snake oil
Garlic=Snake oil
vitamin b = Snake oil.

Bottom line, DEET is the best
Old 08-08-2008, 04:13 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I will attest to that about DEET. I was in boy scouts and we camped on/near the Mississippi river and south Arkansas....the gammut of external parasites. Buuut....engh, I'm not into lymphatic/epidermal/liver/etc cancer. Garlic, Vit B1, never used Avon, and a host of other natural things do work. They are not snake oil. Why they don't work for everyone? Well, there's a list of reasons for that. Not everyone's body chemistry is the same due to diet and level of health. The same is true for animals, and I've seen this applied in both cases over the past 15 or so years. Not to mention, personal testimony from ordinary people I've talked to and read about as well as the qualified people that have written books about it. I'm not going to argue in some cases something like DEET...what I would call an extreme measure....would be the wisest choice, but on the average it's overkill and very hazardous. I mean, it melts certain things. Not good! I survive pretty comfortably living in the woods with constant exposure to mosquitoes, ticks, fleas, biting gnats, and horseflies with natural protection. I may have to apply something several times and keep myself healthy.... so what. I'd rather be a little inconvenienced now than down the road because my health is failing as a result of toxic chemicals. That's inconvenient!

Everyone does whatever they want, of course. But, to say a few things are snake oil without a complete picture is simply not the truth. It's been documented a healthier creature...humans included...is more resistant to parasites of all kinds. In this case, natural protection will have more effectiveness.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:02 AM

I myself hate spraying DEET all over me. I have a can of cutter just in case, but lately I have been using "All Terrain - Herbal Armor". It seems to work really well if you don't mind the citronella and lemony scent. I came away after a camping trip with only a few bites, of course though, I am never the quickest to put the stuff on . I have not had a chance to use it in a heavily infested mosquito area though. I tend to avoid those places anyways.
Downfall, it is not cheap. Found a 4oz bottle in a grocery store close out bin for 3.99.Of course though that might be because the only bottle I could dig in the the closet was the sunscreen version. That closet is dangerous.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:47 PM

dont eat bananas at all one week before your trip, something in them seeps out your pores when you sweat and attracts those bugs. i have a friend that eats the heads of matches one match book a day for a whole week before the trip and during the trip, the sulfur seeps out your pores when you sweat it keeps the bugs away. it sounds gross but he has done it for years.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

They track you by your sent and CO2 that you breath out. So take a bath and stop breathing...that should do it!

I hate DEET, though it is the recommended thing. It is not good for you, and like you said is greasy. I really hate it in the summer because it makes me feel hot, which is not good in already hot Texas. I have always just used OFF usually the Deep woods in the green can, but just because that is what is around. Seems to work fine for the most part. Citronella candles are another thing we have used, I was not at all impressed with the coils...Chiggers are a bigger problem for me as I have a really bad blistering reaction to them....so if I am in Chigger country I will smell like sulfur...the ladies love it... I don't know that it helps with mosquitoes though.

All in all I try not to camp in areas with a lot of mosquitos, my main mosquito problem is outside my garage in the summer time so my can of off is on my workbench. Good luck and try not to exhale!
Old 05-25-2009, 04:40 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Saw a commercial on TV the other day, Off has come out with a new item called the Clip On.
http://www.offprotects.com/clip-on-mosquito-repellent/

You do not spray this on.
The Cutter Advanced Sport (15% picaridin) I bought yesteryear worked great for me up at Mt. Rainier, but this might be worth looking into.
I hate having any repellent on my skin.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I usually stick with "deep wood OFF", but like others, I hate spraying that stuff on myself. My best camping purchase was a quick setup octogonal screen tent. I strap it on the roof rack of the 4Runner for all our overnight offroading trips. I can set it up in approx 5 minutes (the poles stay attached to the tent and just fold out to set it up), and that's where we cook and eat our meals. Much better than fighting with mosquitos and black flies.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:08 PM

When BBQ'n or whatnot and the skeeters get out of hand, I will stand in the smoke for as long as I can hold my breath. I will usually get bit around the ankles after doing this...

Garlic is also said to work, but IDK about that.

Also, take some of these leaves and rub them ALL over your body. Skeeters will then be the least of your worries

Old 06-09-2011, 09:18 PM

Cutters is my best friend

I can't use high concentration of deet on my skin (it just makes my skin bright red and burns). So I use Cutter's Skinsations (yes, its kind of a cheesy name, but it works) at 7% deet. It has aloe so its actually pretty good for your skin and it smells just fine. It does feel kind of annoying to put on (what gel spray stuff isn't) but its less oily than most sunscreens, which is all you can really hope for.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:05 AM

Believe it or not...Listerine! We buy just the no-name brand, put it in a spray bottle and spray it all over the ground and around the chairs at the campfire and it keeps the mosquitoes away. Now I haven't sprayed it on myself yet but I'm going camping again this weekend and will give it a shot and let you know.

Mike
Old 06-10-2011, 07:50 AM
ET

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stormin94
I've heard that by burning cedar branches, the bugs stay at bay for up to 3 hours afterward. I'm not sure if there is any truth to that, and those trees don't grow around here, but if I was camping, and if for some strange reason, I forgot my bug spray, I think it would at least be worth a try.

I use the 100$ DEET stuff, and I will say this:

For bug protection on your head, use some on your hat(as long as it's cotton, you'll be fine), not on your head. I've had sweat with that crap in it roll into my eyes, and it burns like Cayenne peppers. .

Usually, I stick to Off, or Cutter in the pump, so you have more control of the spray. Also, use some on your pants legs to ward off ticks.
yup, cedar works pretty great. you could probably toss some chunks into a fire and that'd do the trick.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:50 PM

Not a big fan of bug sprays, so I usually throw some green leaves in the fire stand in the smoke for a couple seconds.

Does a great job on misquitos.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by michael1963
Believe it or not...Listerine! We buy just the no-name brand, put it in a spray bottle and spray it all over the ground and around the chairs at the campfire and it keeps the mosquitoes away. Now I haven't sprayed it on myself yet but I'm going camping again this weekend and will give it a shot and let you know.

Mike
Listerene?!.... anti bug and antiseptic... can't say much about the smell though I guess...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mosquito & biting black flies