First Aid / General Medicine Discussion pertaining to outdoor medicine, wilderness first aid kits, ect.

Mosquito & biting black flies

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 01:18 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Mosquito & biting black flies

What have you found to be the best deterrent against these hungry critters who's sole purpose is to put a damper on your camping trip and outings?

In the past I have used REI's Jungle Juice which is around 100% DEET.
Good stuff, but it is oily on your skin, and it can also "melt" holes in nylon such as sleeping bags.

What about the ultrasonic devices or the coils you light with a match to burn?

Up where I like to go the elevation is between 3,000 to 5,000 feet, and these critters seem to thrive up there and use me for their meals.

Here are some reviews I found with Google.
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/fa...ect-repellent/
That is for the products you apply to yourself, not the other types.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:09 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
We've used those coils, they seem to work decent. You still get a rogue suicidal mosquito here and there but they seems to keep the masses away. The only problem is that if you're burning one on a picnic table (or whatever) and trying to eat, sometimes the smoke interferes with your taste/smell. But its better than being eaten alive. They're cheap and don't require much space. I hate having stuff on my skin... so its a decent alternative.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't laugh but I use a mix of Avon SkinSoSoft (the wifes) and Repel (states do not apply to skin). Pour the lotion in hand, spray a good shot of repel in hand, rub it together and apply. Hasn't ever given a rash (which repel alone may do to your skin) and keeps those little black flies ( dad used to call them "somabitches" hope I can say that, they always left a red ring around his head at the hat level) and the mosquitos stay clear too. The bonus is you smell perty, also you may need to stay clear of any bar playing "Macho Macho Man"
Old 04-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dublin
Don't laugh but I use a mix of Avon SkinSoSoft (the wifes) and Repel (states do not apply to skin). Pour the lotion in hand, spray a good shot of repel in hand, rub it together and apply. Hasn't ever given a rash (which repel alone may do to your skin) and keeps those little black flies ( dad used to call them "somabitches" hope I can say that, they always left a red ring around his head at the hat level) and the mosquitos stay clear too. The bonus is you smell perty, also you may need to stay clear of any bar playing "Macho Macho Man"
I've done the same thing.

When I lived in Medicine Hat, Alberta, they have mosquito's that try to fly away with you like Toto in Wizard of Oz. Not uncommon during baseball season to find 10 within a few inches on your leg.

I've done the skin so soft, repel, fabric softner sheets in socks and hat (something with the smell they didn't like) baby oil (messy and the bugs stick to you) among others. I never had good luck with the candles or coils.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:13 PM

treat your clothes in permethrin, and use deet.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Looks like Cutter Advanced gets a good review here, and there is no DEET in it.
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/fa...ect-repellent/
Best insect repellent overall.
Experts are mixed on DEET-based insect repellents. Although effective, DEET can ruin clothing and plastic. Some dislike the distinctive smell and oily feel on the skin. An alternative insect-repellent ingredient, picaridin, has been show to be as effective as lower-strength DEET. Reviewers say the 7% picaridin concentration in Cutter Advanced protects against ticks and West-Nile carrying mosquitoes for about 2.5 hours per application. Picaridin insect repellent doesn't need to be washed off when you come back indoors, a big plus compared with insect repellents that use DEET. Unlike DEET, Cutter Advanced doesn't damage plastics, isn't sticky on the skin and is odorless, but it can cause eye irritation. Cutter Advanced is considered safe for kids as young as two-months and is available in a spray or wipes.
From Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Cutter-Advance...7611369&sr=1-1
I've tried many mosquito repellents over the years. Mosquitos really like my fresh skin. All sorts of products over the years failed, and in fact, many times I believed the repellents were actually BRINGING the nasty bugs in my direction. Not so with any kind of Cutter mosquito repellent. Not only does it take the itch away immediately, and not only do mosquitos avoid you the second you apply some on your skin, but the next day you might wake up to find that the bites you had from the night before have been completely healed. No kidding. Great, great product. Highly recommended.
Bite Blocker does good too.
Safest insect repellent for kids.
Considered safe for all ages and for pregnant women, Bite Blocker uses only food-grade plant-based ingredients including soybean oil and geranium oil. It is effective against black flies as well as mosquitoes and ticks. As with most natural insect repellents, protection time varies a lot among individuals, but averages 1.5 to 2 hours, and Bite Blocker is safe to reapply as needed.
From Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...R2/cscrtext-20
My experience appears to be different than that of most other reviewers. While Bite Blocker may keep the bugs at bay, it smells rancid and leaves a lingering taste in one's mouth for hours. Two of us in our home used the product and had similar results. Our experience with Cutter Advanced with picaridin is much better. No smell, no taste and it keeps the bugs off.
There are good customer reviews for both products at Amazon.
I may have to order some of the Cutters.
Of course, effectiveness does matter. Reviews based on lab testing conclude that wristbands, electronic mosquito repellents and insect-repellent clothing are a waste of money for most people. Although few insect repellents fail to attract praise from at least a few users, it's clear that most insect repellents that use DEET are consistently effective, while only a few alternatives work well for most people. Still, even the U.S. military is researching alternatives to DEET, because it damages plastics, paint finishes and many synthetic fabrics. It also smells bad and should be washed off the skin whenever you return indoors. Dozens of alternatives to DEET have appeared on the market, but reviews based on objective comparison tests show that only three of the alternative ingredients stand out as best.
Continued, good reading...
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/fa...nt/review.html
Old 04-07-2008, 04:14 PM

who wants to spray that crap every 2.5 hours though. OFF deep woods that has 33% deet, should be applied every 7 hours, meaning it does a decent job of warding off skeeters for around 7 hours.

100% deet will eat straight trough some rubber and plastics.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I am trying to get away from Deet, even the 20 to 30% stuff.
I have used it REI's 100% Jungle Juice for many years, and that stuff is nasty.

I melted one nice nylon sleeping bag with it back in the 80s.

The stuff is not good for you either.
Even the ARMY from reading at the URL above is looking to get away from it.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Contributing Member

I've used Muskol with good results but that stuff is heavy DEET and is oily.
I've tried eating lots of Garlic [which I love anyways] and it seems to work reasonably well provided you avoid shadey areas right at sundown [then nothing works]... don't laugh the garlic thing works for me... of course no one else wants to be around you much either...
I had'nt heard about the fabric softener skin cream/repel ideas I may try them.
I used Black Flag once even though it specifically said not to apply to skin... worked well but I would'nt try it as a regular thing...
maybe Muskol and a little Oil Drillers lotion...
Old 04-07-2008, 05:15 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sportsmans off and repel 100% deet.

Works fine for me. Spray it on clothing and your hat if you wear one.

I have never sprayed or put anything on my skin, thats just bad imho. I went on a 3 day trip in the heavy Appalachian forests of my area and uses sportsmans off on each pant leg, shirt, and my hat. no skeeters bothered me. What stil works best is having a fire, the smoke keeps them away.

Last edited by CJM; 04-07-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:59 PM

the skin so soft stuff works ok, but has to be applied every couple hours. the army mainly use's permethrin while in areas of malaria. we just dipped our DCU's in a big vat of the stuff, and didn't really worry about skeeters.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've heard that by burning cedar branches, the bugs stay at bay for up to 3 hours afterward. I'm not sure if there is any truth to that, and those trees don't grow around here, but if I was camping, and if for some strange reason, I forgot my bug spray, I think it would at least be worth a try.

I use the 100$ DEET stuff, and I will say this:

For bug protection on your head, use some on your hat(as long as it's cotton, you'll be fine), not on your head. I've had sweat with that crap in it roll into my eyes, and it burns like Cayenne peppers. .

Usually, I stick to Off, or Cutter in the pump, so you have more control of the spray. Also, use some on your pants legs to ward off ticks.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:13 AM

I usually just use whatever I grab, generally Deep Woods OFF, but down here you kind of almost become accustomed to mosiquitos because no matter what you use you're gonna get bit many times.

There's really no getting away from them in most parts of Texas, so all you can do is hope to decrease the number that actually get to you.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eating lots of Garlic 12 - 24 hours before you know you're headed into skeeterville seems to work for a lot of people, including me. Other than covering yourself in 'certified safe' chemicals, the best advice I have is to cover up as much skin as possible.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:19 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by mtnfreak
Other than covering yourself in 'certified safe' chemicals, the best advice I have is to cover up as much skin as possible.
Now see that is the part I hate.
When it is 75 to 90 degrees out, I am in shorts and a tank top when camping, hiking, or wheeling.

I know that is like advertising an open "all you can eat" for the buggers, but I hardly ever wear pants when camping.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Corey
I know that is like advertising an open "all you can eat" for the buggers, but I hardly ever wear pants when camping.
TMI & thanks for the image Cor... now I need to bleach my brain...

I crack me up...
Old 04-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

He he, picture this, now your mind will be really clogged.
What if I was a nudist?

The old tube steak would be open season too

Use Clorox, best bleach out there.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

That's it... you've gone too far...
Old 04-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

OK, back from Fred Meyers camping section.
It may be small at that department store, but they often carry a lot of good stuff such as Colman lanterns, stoves,camping chairs, ect.

I was walking down one of the isles when I could smell DEET.
No mistaking that smell, so I knew I was in the right area.
I turned around and there was a whole rack of different bug sprays/wipes.

Yes, Cutter is even available in wipes.
I found the Cutter Advanced formula in both a pump bottle (good reviews) and aerosol.
Bit I kept looking and found some better stuff.

The Advanced formula contains 7% picaridin, where as the Advanced Sport formula contains 15% picaridin.
Will not have to put it on as often, or it will keep the nasty critters at bay for a few more hours before reapplying it.

Doing a Google search turned up at REI both the 6 oz I bought and a little 2 oz one.

6 oz Cutter Advanced Sport

2 oz Advanced Sport

You can get this stuff I would imagine at any good sporting goods store, and I see Walgreens carries it too.
I am just using REI for an example.

I hope this stuff works, as I am getting out to go camping sometime in May.
I will have a full review on how this stuff works.
Bugs love to dine on me, so if this stuff prevents me from being on their menu, I will let you know how it works regardless of the outcome.

Here is a review from the Walgreens site.
I have an allergy to Deet and some of the products that use eucalyptus oil, and I live in Southeast Texas, mosquito heaven. I also, unfortunately, have an allergy to the mosquito bites, and will swell up in hives the size of a tennis ball. Cutter Advanced Sport has been a life saver for me. I use this product daily--nothing else works for me. It has a light smell which fades quickly (the smell reminds me of corn chips), unlike Deet products. The Sport product lasts for many hours--I spray it in the morning before I go out, right after my shower, and I only have to use it once a day, even when I'm hot or sweating. The other Cutter Advanced brands are good, too, but I find they only last on me a couple of hours. This is truly a God-send.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:34 AM

For the mosquitos around here the best thing I have found is a Thermacell. They are about $20 at walmart, and they work! Just turn it on and wait five minutes for it to warm up and they wont bother you.

http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/

Quick Reply: Mosquito & biting black flies