The Off-Road Gourmet Food, what to cook, how to cook, share your trail side meals with us

Shish kabobs

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Shish kabobs

Shish kabobs I make every summer whether for barbecuing at home, or for taking along on a camping trip.
These were always a hit with my two sons when they were young when we went camping all the time.

So easy to make, but there is a lot of preparation time involved, then the assembling of them.
To save time I used my new Food Saver vacuum sealer machine I bought a short time back.

I stopped at off at Safeway after work Thursday and bought the following fresh veggies as seen in the three bags below.
First bag = white mushrooms
Second bag = Walla Walla Sweet onions and cherry tomatoes
Third bag = red and green bell peppers

I just cut up the veggies to size, then placed them into one quart bags, and then ran them through the sealing process.
When I was ready to make the shish kabobs Friday, all I had to do was cut open the three bags, pop open a can of pineapple chunks I already had, open a can of sliced white potatoes, and cut up some doggies.
I usually get the whole white cooked potatoes in the can, but they were out, so the sliced will have to do for this time.

Having the veggies cut up ahead of time saved a lot of time standing at the counter in the kitchen.
You can take the sealed bags camping and assemble the shish kabobs at camp, or assemble the shish kabobs like I just did and throw them in the fridge a day before you go camping.
They should last for a few days like this easily if kept cold.
The amount I made was ten I think, that is about three days worth for just me, or if my sons stop by for dinner, there might be one or two left over.

Here they are in a Tupperware container I have had since the 80s.
It comes in very handy for shish kabobs.

On the grill

On the plate

Serve them up with a side dish of rice pilaf, macaroni salad, potato salad, and you have an instant hit on your hands with guests at home or friends while camping.

I also prefer the metal shish kabobbers I use over the wooden ones.
I have had these for around seventeen years or more.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the albertsons they have shish kabobs that are ~9 bucks (sold by the pound) for 4. theyre always buy one pack of 2 get one free so you use that to your advantage. theyre steak, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes and onions (maybe more cant remember). they come seasoned and on a poker and are sealed already which would be good for camping. The steak is pretty good but its not that special. still pretty good and a cheap way to eat and theyre easy to grill
Old 01-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

What brand Root Beer was that corey? Ik it was a while ago but I'm curious... RB is the one soda I drink and I'm always looking for a good one.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:13 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

The only pop I drink when the occasion arises, Henry Wienhards.
Very good stuff.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Corey
The only pop I drink when the occasion arises, Henry Wienhards.
Very good stuff.
x2 there is nothing like henry wienhards. I noticed it immediately
Old 04-01-2010, 09:47 PM

Man snooping around the food thread and the late night hunger just made me crave some of these!
Old 07-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

July 2nds dinner

Update to an older thread.

I picked up a new barbecue Friday (Amazon dropped it off for me ) as I was in need of a new one, and I saw a nice Weber Go Anywhere gas grill posted over at fjcruiserforums site, so I ordered it and a hose to convert it over to one of my bigger tanks.
Push button ignition too baby

Shish Kabobs
Use a variety of vegis, meats, ect.
This is what I used, and for the record, I have been a vegetarian since around 1982 (X wife thing) and I stuck with it.

Picked up all the ingredients after work Friday, and made up a huge batch to last about three nights for the July 4th holiday.
I pretty much make them this way all the time.

* Tofurkey dogs cut up
* Whole potatoes from a can
* Mushrooms (Safeway was out of smaller ones, so I used bigger ones and put them on their own skewer)
* Pineapple chunks
* Walla Walla sweet onion
* Red bell pepper
* Grape tomatoes

Served with a side dish of Knorr Rice Sides Cheddar Broccoli
The rice takes around seven minutes to cook in a covered pot, very easy.

The pics have a fish eye effect as they were taken with my GoPro HD camera.
It is such a cool little camera.
That is a freshly washed and waxed beast in the background, spent the better part of the morning detailing it, it was begging for it.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

Looks tasty Corey...
Old 07-04-2011, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Corey, in my area we have something we call spedies (spee-dees). It is only in a small area of NY that knows about them, similar to shiskabobs . Here is some info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiedie
Interested? Hit me up with a PM and I will send you some marinade. I guarantee you will love them. Actually I just had some tonight.

James
Old 08-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks James, I will have to take you up on that.

Made the kabobs today a little bit different.
I left off the canned potatoes and pineapple that I usually add.

Today I made them with:
Large brown mushrooms
Zucchini
Orange bell pepper (two for the price of one at Safeway today )
Walla Walla Sweet onion (IMO simply the best)
Vine tomatoes
Tofurkey Italian Sausage

I just spray grilling spray on the food everytime I rotate them, and add Mortons Nature Seasoning salt to it.

Also bought a 12 pack of Knorr rice pilaf off of Amazon the other day.
My local Safeway has Knorr in Spanish Rice and one with broccoli and cheese sauce, so I found the plain on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Knorr-Lipton-S...283042&sr=8-11

Second picture is a little blurry, this was due to the steam coming off the food and fogging the GoPro HD cameras lens.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Corey
Thanks James, I will have to take you up on that.
PM me your address.

James
Old 08-23-2011, 02:25 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Made up a batch of kabobs Saturday morning, and strung the mushrooms as always on a skewer.

But after seeing some stuffed mushrooms over at Expo, I took them off the skewer meant for Sundays dinner, and I pulled the caps off and stuffed them.

I took some of that Deans Ranch dip I used for Friday nights dinner, and I mixed it with some 4 cheese Mexican, and spooned it into the caps.

It turned out pretty good, and I think I may stuff them from now on instead of putting them on a skewer.
Will have to look at other ideas too for ingredients to use to stuff them with.

Maybe The Overland Gourmet (flyfishexpert) has some ideas for stuffed mushrooms.

On the skewers were:
Walla Walla sweet onion chunks
Tomatoes
Orange bell pepper
Zucchini slices
Old 08-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member

Good looking stuffed muchrooms Corey I may need to try that.

I've done mushrooms stuffed with garlic butter topped with parmesan Cheese.

You might try mixing some canned crab with cream cheese and a little black pepper and piri piri sauce. Topping with a mix of grated parmessan and romano.
I'm going to try this one this weekend (if not sooner)
Old 08-21-2014, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I tried this the other day and it turned out great. Been spending more time in the Off Road Gourmet section and seeing several others I want to try. Some great looking recipes.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

And I still am making them when not out camping.
I get the grill out the first nice weekend of spring, and try to do kabobs every weekend.
I will be making up a big batch Saturday morning for Saturday and Sunday nights dinner.

Oh, I also discovered grilled corn, and it works great on my little grill.
We also BBQ here at work on Fridays, and a few months back a guy broght in a bunch of corn on the cob wrapped in foil and coated with butter.

Even better I found out from someone at work was to take the corn and coat it with mayonnaise, then sprinkle on Parmesan cheese and wrap in the foil.
Put on grill for around 18 minutes rotating it around 3 times or so.
Tastes so much better than boiled corn on the cob.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:09 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Everybody loves grilled meat on a stick, heck, even veggies are fit to eat with a little smoke and char on them.
I like corn on the cob best when I soak the ears in water, shucks on, then cook them over high fire till the shucks are near burned off. When some of the kernels have a light char on their surface, the corn is just right. Just add salt, pepper and butter.
The peeled back shuck makes a fine handle.

Last edited by millball; 08-21-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:11 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
mmm some kabobs sound good right now. i've never done it, but my rosemary bushes have super long stems right now - heard they make great kabob skewers that flavor from the inside-out.

on the topic of grilled corn - have you ever tried Mexican street corn (aka: elote)? it's about as revolutionary as having a mexican hotdog (the bacon-wrapped ones) for the first time. simply grill your corn until whatever doneness you like. mix up the sauce: mayo, sour cream, finely chopped cilantro, S&P, garlic powder, crumbled cotija cheese (similar to feta), and if you want add mexican spices (chili powder, cumin, oregano, etc) but not too much. once corn is done, slather with the sauce, then roll them in more crumbled cotija. eat. you'll thank me later.