The Off-Road Gourmet Food, what to cook, how to cook, share your trail side meals with us

Living Overland's Recipes, Reviews, & Techniques

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sun Oven Chili Colorado

Sun Oven Chili Colorado

Ingredients

6 dried New Mexico red chiles
6 dried ancho chiles
6 dried cayenne chiles
2lb beef roast
1/4cup brown sugar
12oz Coca-Cola
salt and pepper to taste

Serves 4

Pre-Trip Preparation

Remove the stem and seeds from the dried chiles (wear latex gloves to prevent getting chile oils from getting on your fingers). Place chilies and three to four cups of water in a large pot and simmer over medium heat for thirty to forty minutes, or until the peppers are tender. Remove chiles from water and place in a blender with 1/2 cup of chile water. Puree until smooth. Transfer into an ice cube tray and freeze. Place frozen chile puree cubes in a zipper bag and store until ready to use.

Cut beef roast into one inch cubes, trimming off any fat and silverskin. Place beef in a plastic zipper bag until ready for use.

You can find the rest of our recipe on our blog, www.LivingOverland.com, or by clicking here.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:06 PM

Cool as a Cucumber Soup

Cool as a Cucumber Soup

This is a great recipe for those late summer trips when you have extra cucumbers in your garden.

Ingredients
2 medium english cucumbers
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup parsley
1 tablespoon chives
1 tablespoon dill
1 tablespoon mint
1/2tablespoon tarragon
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 1/2 cups greek yogurt
Serves 4

You can find the rest of our recipe on our blog, www.LivingOverland.com, or by clicking here.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:07 PM

Sun Oven Chicken Curry

Sun Oven Chicken Curry

Ingredients

2 chicken breasts, cut into 3/4" cubes
12 oz Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1/2" cubes
1/2 cauliflower head, cut into florets
1 15.5 oz can chickpeas, rinsed
1 15.5 oz can low-sodium chicken broth
1 15.5 oz can coconut milk
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp turmeric

Old 11-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Just checked out that Cucumber Soup recipe... sounds yummy...

guys this would be a good one to use for your "home spa day" if you are following the "Christmas present for the wife/gf" thread discussion...

Last edited by aviator; 11-16-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
Just checked out that Cucumber Soup recipe... sounds yummy...

guys this would be a good one to use for your "home spa day" if you are following the "Christmas present for the wife/gf" thread discussion...
The 'home spa day' would be a great idea!
Old 11-22-2011, 12:52 PM

Turkey and Apple Pita with Cranberry-Pecan Aioli

Turkey and Apple Pita with Cranberry-Pecan Aioli

Ingredients: Aioli

1 cup Mayo
1/3 cup Dijon Mustard
3 tbsp honey
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup pecans halves
salt
pepper

Makes 16, 2 tbsp, servings

Preparation: Aioli
Preheat oven to 350F. Place pecans on a cookie sheet and toast for 5 min, or until they become aromatic. Remove from the oven and let cool. Coarsely chop cranberries and pecans. Place in a bowl mixing in remaining ingredients. Salt and pepper to taste.

For the complete recipe visit our website, www.livingoverland.com, or click here.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:34 PM

Review of Sun Oven Part 2

Review of Sun Oven Part 2

The Plan:
We continued our evaluation of the Global Sun Oven on our Four Corners trip so that we might see how well the design lent itself to overland travel. The route and timeline for the trip left only a few hours of daylight at the end of the journey most day's and only two days with a full afternoon in camp. Despite our aggressive travel plans the oven tagged along as we traveled some 2500 miles.

Valley of the Gods

Preparing for Transportation:
The oven's glass door was a concern for us as we would be driving on dirt roads for part of the trip. To reduce vibration and the potential for damage, we covered the supplied enamelware pot with a fleece blanket. We wrapped the reflector assembly with a second blanket to reduce vibration and potential damage.

The Sun Oven was placed next to our cooler, on top of the rear drawers, during transportation. The oven's leveling leg sticks out about 1/2" past the bottom of the oven when in the lowest adjustment. We made sure to insert the leg past this adjustment, allowing the bottom of the leg to sit flush with the bottom of the oven, to ensure the oven stayed in place as we traveled.

You can read the rest of part 2 of our review on our blog, www.LivingOverland.com, or by clicking here.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Contributing Member

Good review Beau.

So I guess you'd say this product would be better for folks who were planning to set up a "base camp" for day trekking around or for those who were going to be around to attend all day to adjust the oven to track the sun.

Future item you might want to consider reviewing coleman 5010? oven attachment for your Coleman Stove.
http://www.rei.com/product/736395/coleman-camp-oven

or better option this portable propane range [the thing I was actually thinking about first]
http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Camp.../dp/B0013LLSZG

with this beauty you could do a full thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings anywhere you happened to be.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:47 PM

Good review Beau.

So I guess you'd say this product would be better for folks who were planning to set up a "base camp" for day trekking around or for those who were going to be around to attend all day to adjust the oven to track the sun.

Future item you might want to consider reviewing coleman 5010? oven attachment for your Coleman Stove.
http://www.rei.com/product/736395/coleman-camp-oven

or better option this portable propane range [the thing I was actually thinking about first]
http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Camp.../dp/B0013LLSZG

with this beauty you could do a full thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings anywhere you happened to be.
We have thought about both of these, and would love the opportunity to review either one. One cool thing is Camp Chef is less than 2hrs away down in Logan, UT and I have an open invitation to visit their headquarters!
Old 11-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by flyfishexpert
We have thought about both of these, and would love the opportunity to review either one. One cool thing is Camp Chef is less than 2hrs away down in Logan, UT and I have an open invitation to visit their headquarters!
Awesome... now that would be a product review to see... complete with plant tour pics maybe and an "interview" with the manufacturer...
Old 11-29-2011, 01:26 PM

Caprese Salad

Caprese Salad

Ingredients
1/4 cup pine nuts
3 medium cloves garlic, unpeeled
2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup loose fresh basil leaves
2 Tbsp fresh parsley leaves
4 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
3 whole ripe tomatoes
6 ounces fresh Mozzarella cheese, patted dry
Ground black pepper
Kosher salt

For the complete recipe visit our website, www.livingoverland.com, or click here.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

Another winner Beau... you always post these things right before suppertime... when it's too late to start over dang it!...
Old 11-30-2011, 09:24 AM

Another winner Beau... you always post these things right before suppertime... when it's too late to start over dang it!...
Thanks Paul! You should learn to schedule your life around my blog posts...Every Tuesday at 2pm mst. ;-)
Old 12-08-2011, 04:04 AM

Review of OvaEasy

Review of OvaEasy

We first encountered OvaEasy, by Nutriom, at the 2011 Outdoor Retailer Summer Market. I must say we were a little skeptical when we first approached the booth and inquired about the product. I had tried the typical dehydrated eggs in the past and was, well less than impressed. Memories of rubbery, off-colored, and odd-flavored scrambled eggs began to surface.

As we spoke with the Nutriom representative, he began to explain what set his product apart from the competition. "The process," he explained, "was the key to the difference." A low-temperature dehydration process maintains the egg's protein structure as it evaporates the moisture without cooking. They claimed their product tasted and acted just like fresh eggs and had a shelf life of 18 months.

To prove it, the representative offered to make up a fresh batch of scrambled eggs for us to taste. The taste was great and the texture was right. We were impressed!

Product Information:
OvaEasy comes in two forms, Whole Egg and Egg Whites. The wholes are sold in 1 and 6.5 dozen egg packages while the whites are sold in 2 and 4.75 dozen egg packages. Both can be purchased in sealed metal cans to extend the shelf life up to 7 years.

Our Test:
Okay, so we admit making scrambled eggs is easy, but how would OvaEasy holdup to the riggers of other recipes? We were lucky enough to bring two bags of OvaEasy home with us to test more thoroughly. We chose to prepare omelets with the eggs to test how well they would hold up to being folded and mixed with milk and cream.

You can read the rest of our review on our blog, www.LivingOverland.com, or by clicking here.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Beau
IDK I'm always skeptical about powdered eggs [and milk fwiw]... to many memories of Veitnam war era delicacies at Scout Camp [they were probably Korean war surplus lol]...
IK the technology has improved but...

I wonder how this product would work in a baking recipe given that the added water used for rehydration could thin the dough too much... do you think it would be possible to hydrate with just milk for example to keep the "thin" liquid content down?

one wonders what they do with the extra egg yolks from the whites only pkg. are they added to the whole egg pkg. to boost the protein structure and make them more palatable? or are they just wasted?

Good review anyway...
Old 12-08-2011, 04:44 PM

I too didn't think the OvaEasy would be all that good, but I was surprised. I could not tell that they were not fresh.

We thought about a test for baking, but we only had one each of their small packages, so we opted not to. I am going to see if I can get one more package to run a baking test with. I will keep you posted!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Contributing Member

So is the small pkg. 1 egg or 1 doz. eggs? I think you said the large was 6.5 doz. eggs right? I guess the large is the 7yr can right?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:32 AM

The small package is 1-dozen and their big package is 6.5-dozen. The 7year cans are actually filled with twelve of the 1-dozen packages.

Oh, and some good news... Nutriom is sending us a couple more packages to test some baking recipes. Here is the reply from their sales manager regarding baking:
As far as for baking, OvaEasy works beautifully wherever a recipe calls for egg.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

Of course the sales mgr. would say that lol...
personally for me the proof is in the pudding [or cake/bread loaf in this case ]

good of them to send you a few more pkgs for testing...
Old 12-13-2011, 12:38 PM

Meringue Nests with Fresh Fruit

Meringue Nests with Fresh Fruit

Ingredients Meringues:

4 large egg whites (about 1/2 cup), at room temperature
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
Makes 12 meringues

Ingredients Topping:

1 cup strawberries
1 cup blueberries
2 medium peaches
6 ounces milk or dark chocolate (optional, but who doesn't want chocolate?)
Enough for 6 meringues

Quick Reply: Living Overland's Recipes, Reviews, & Techniques