The Off-Road Gourmet Food, what to cook, how to cook, share your trail side meals with us

Cheesabuggas

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cheesabuggas

Even my health-conscious Mom wolfed one of these down.

1 lb. ground beef (I use sirloin)
1 lb. Italian ground sausage
½ cup unseasoned bread crumbs
1 cup grated fresh Parmesan
1 egg
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
½ lb. chopped fresh mushrooms (optional)
Dash Worcester (optional)
1 glass Shiraz (for you)
Lipitor

Mix everything in a large bowl by squishing through your fingers

Fill a measuring cup (1 C) then form into 1"+ thick patties, they'll be about 4"-5" across and weigh about 8-10 oz. each

Stack on a large plate using wax paper at the bottom and between each patty, makes 5-6, they can be refrigerated overnight in an airtight container and taken to the campsite the next day

Lightly oil top and bottom with peanut oil (not olive, it flares up too much) and place over preheated grill (assuming gas here) on medium direct heat covered for two minutes, turn and lower heat to indirect (middle burner off), finish at 350*-400* until internal temp reaches 160*

Serve on your favorite bun (I like toasted onion Oroweat) with side fixings like sweet onion slices, tomatoes. lettuce, mayo, mustard, ketchup (NEVER HEINZ) <-- I'm political even in the kitchen

Works well with charcoal of course, but watch out for burning and set up the coals for indirect heat in the center or side to use after turning from the searing step.

The same ingredients make killer meatballs. Then you just lightly brown in a large skillet, reduce heat to med-low to finish, turning gently.

Bon Apetite!

Last edited by BT17R; 05-24-2008 at 12:37 PM.