The Off-Road Gourmet Food, what to cook, how to cook, share your trail side meals with us

An alternative to expensive Mountain House foods for camping

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 08:59 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
An alternative to expensive Mountain House foods for camping

First off I like Mountain House brand freeze dried dinners, and even the scrambled eggs were not bad.
I have tried a wide variety of their products testing both at home and in the mountains camping over the past years.

Last year or so I ran across at Safeway foods in the boxed dinner section a new lineup by Knorr some "soft packages" (rip the envelope open) that cook in about 8 minutes by simply boiling water and adding milk to some of the dinners.
These taste very good in camp, and are so easy to make.

Today at Safeway I picked up several more to restock my supply at 10 for $10 which is dirt cheap.
One package of pasta can feed a person twice as a side dish to adding other foods such as vegetables or meat on the side.

We cooked up two packages last night of the stroganoff for the main dinner dish, and I have some left over for dinner tonight, and a heapin' helping for lunch tomorrow at work.
I did mix in a 12 oz package of Mexican flavored Litelife Smart Ground (all soy, no beef, zero fat)

Here are my favorites, and most of the time I just add a little Parmesan cheese sprinkled over before severing.

Alfredo

Stroganoff

Parmesan

Rice Pilaf

Cheddar Broccoli Rice

Here is the whole list of pastas and rice dishes, some do have meat in them.
Pasta
Rice

Gives these a try and report back here if you like them or not.
For a buck a piece they do not break the bank, and so easy to cook at home or in the woods.

These do not have as long a shelf life as the Mountain House products, but the savings in money is great.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, Corey:

I know this thread is sort of dead, but I was in Costco a few months ago and they had boxes of 10 Mountain House 2.5 serving meals for 39 bucks a box. That's about half what REI charges for individual packages. I ended up buying almost 20 boxes for all my camping and outdoor friends.

While they don't often have them, it's a good thing to keep your eyes peeled for.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Not a bad deal Lance o Lot, will have to look into that. We use one Mountain House dinner and a cheap grocery store thing that cooks quick, like mashed taters or cous cous or ramens. For lunch I use a packet of either tuna or chicken plus a couple of boxes of either rice or pasta sides such as Knorr, repackaged for size and weight. Breakfasts are Mountain House eggs and something like pop-tarts or a couple packs of oatmeal each with cranberries, raisins and walnuts or whatever. I'm still exploring the grocery store shelves for cheap light calorie-ridden foods that cook quickly and pack small. Drives my kid nuts.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
an old thread, but you can really cut your Mountain House expenses by buying the #10 cans, and re packing the contents into vac seal bags. Those can be opened and used just like the individual serving packs, at a fraction of the cost.
Name:  MHrehydrated_zps7b267f0e.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  68.4 KB